Options

Rolf arriving for sentencing at Southwark right now.

Comments

• Options
    LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I agree with that.

And I shall always wonder about the convictions; it took the jury over a week to come to a decision upon which all jurors agreed.

Exactly.

I knew someone who was on jury service over some years ago now. The 12 jurors could not decide guilt or innocent and argued back and forth for several days. Then it came down to some of the "Twelve good men and True" saying for gods sake i will pick whatever verdict gives a majority vote, as I dont want to spend another week here.....

How much pressure was put on them to make a decision in the light of the fact this man was famous.

I know several people who have been on jurys and jeez give me strength I would be scared to death if they were judging me lol..........
  • Options
    kxkkxk Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Interesting revisionism, in an Australian newspaper, on the idea of Rolf as a former Australian national treasure.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/always-an-embarrassing-curiosity-rather-than-a-national-treasure-20140701-3b6m5.html

Not revisionist - this is how Aussie's feel, but more so.

Rolf who????

The generation that could recognise who this cheap, embarrassing performer is or was is long dead.

He bares no resemblance to anything Australian.
    The unbearable ocker, hammy, shit act, WTF.
    Thank heavens he left.
    He had to make a career elsewhere from his phoney Aussie act, we sure wouldn't swallow that crap.

It has long been a mystery to us how he has found a career in the UK, pretending to be Australian - something has has not been for decades.
  • Options
    KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    LucyDTrym wrote: »
    A sensible post.

I still dont understand sorry shoot me I dont care I have a right to speach, why NOW?

If a young girl at 8 is so badly trautamtised by something that happened to her, how come no one else knew about it? When i had my near rape experience by a pedo at 9/10 at the time it did traumatize me, and i thankfully had told my family.

My emotional state changed too and i wouldnt go out.

For me this man RH at the time must have done something to her so horrific that she said it ruined her life.

The woman who was attacked as an eight-year-old said the assault had ruined her childhood, leaving her unable to express herself and unable to trust men.

She said she had carried what he did to her for most of her life adding: “On that day and in the space of a few minutes my childhood innocence was gone.”

Where were her parents at the time?

I am not denying this never happened just that I dont understand why if it happened and ruined a childs life it wasnt reported at the time, what over 30 years ago?

So even with the 15 year inspired actress she was so traumatised by it, she did nothing.

No i dont get it, never will get it.

Why now?

RH was far more famous probably 30 years ago then now, as now he is just an old man.

Its all too late, and if he had these feelings for younger women/children then he was allowed to get away with it for those 20 years.

We have to remember he was a young man over 30 years ago not a dirty old pedo.

Please i will say it again, if anyone has been abused or someone has done any inappropriate to you, TELL SOMEONE.

I feel desperately sorry for Mrs Harris and her family. The end of their life is surrounded by dark, when it could have been all done and dusted 30 years ago and perhaps then RH could have been helped with his feelings towards minors and we wouldnt be talking about it all now.

Pedophilia has been around for thousands of years sadly. I will never understand it.

My poor grandson is waiting to know if a case against him and a friend goes forwards to the CPS, after a daughters friend of 29, slept with the two boys, one 12 and one 15, but the police dont hold out much hope for anything happening or it going to talk.

Serious assault here, BUT nothing is happening and it has been months now and still not gone to CPS for a ruling.

Oh wait now if it had been a famous person who had done this perhaps something would have been done.

These acts against 2 innocent boys has traumatised their lives but hey who cares really.

Anyway, its all too late. Let the baying continue.

And shoot me i dont care lol.

Funny enough nearly everyone I know thinks it is all too late and all to weird that it is coming up now, after creepy Saville.

Not everyone reacts to sexual abuse in the same way. Some people blame themselves and try to forget it ever happened. Others report it. There really isn't a one size fits all reaction to it.

And if you read the judges comments, you'll see that one of the abused women told their family in the 1990s and then confronted Harris about it in 1997. He even replied in a letter to get her to not come forward with it.

The reaction to what Savile did has made it easier for people to come forward because people are listening now.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Well summed up. The lynch mob mentality that often prevails in threads of this nature never fails to bring the sadistic, self-righteous morons crawling out from under their stones.

Agreed also.

Harris has committed some appalling crimes and is now doing his time, however I just cannot bring myself to hate him, god knows I hate what he has done but calling for his life to be taken from him as some have done is just going to far.

Safe to say he is ill both physically and mentally by all accounts and I suspect he will die in jail so the "lynch mob" will get their way by the back door.

As for this story in the "papers" today....

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/387494/EXCLUSIVE-Vanessa-Feltz-reveals-sex-assault-by-Rolf-Harris

How the hell was that supposed to have happened without anyone seeing? Feltz is in Hans Christian Andersen territory I fear.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with that.

And I shall always wonder about the convictions; it took the jury over a week to come to a decision upon which all jurors agreed.

Exactly.

I knew someone who was on jury service over some years ago now. The 12 jurors could not decide guilt or innocent and argued back and forth for several days. Then it came down to some of the "Twelve good men and True" saying for gods sake i will pick whatever verdict gives a majority vote, as I dont want to spend another week here.....

How much pressure was put on them to make a decision in the light of the fact this man was famous.

I know several people who have been on jurys and jeez give me strength I would be scared to death if they were judging me lol..........

Thank you.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kxk wrote: »

Rolf who????

The generation that could recognise who this cheap, embarrassing performer is or was is long dead.

Thank heavens he left.
    He had to make a career elsewhere from his phoney Aussie act, we sure wouldn't swallow that crap.

It has long been a mystery to us how he has found a career in the UK, pretending to be Australian - something has has not been for decades.

That was what I thought but assumed I must be wrong or just watched the wrong shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect Dame Edna Everage and Sir Les Patterson would be closer to real Australians.

:D:D:D:D

Though even Barry Humphries grandfather was from Manchester, England.
    Humphries was born in the suburb of Kew in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia,[2][3] the son of Louisa and Eric Humphries, a construction manager. His grandfather was an immigrant to Australia from Manchester, England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you.
    Exactly.

This phenomenon with juries may be somewhat common, but most people actually enjoy being on a jury.
    But it does happen - however, you are misrepresenting how it works.

In general, if juries don't agree, they will let criminals go free.
    It is very rare that a jury will convict if they cannot agree.
    People can live with - oh he gets away with it, OK.
    But they cannot in general, go OK he is innocent but I will put him in prison.

And juries dealing with sexual offences often take ages - it is a very weird thing to judge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget, they also had to decide on multiple charges rather a single one.

Then there would be delays caused by waiting for the reply to any questions about the evidence, or procedures, they may have.

Even half a day (3 - 4 hours) on each charge would add up to six days.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Not a nice thing to say, but i dont think Harris will be alive this time next year.

Well they'll certainly hush up his funeral when he does die, even if it's a few years from now.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kalmia wrote: »
    Not everyone reacts to sexual abuse in the same way. Some people blame themselves and try to forget it ever happened. Others report it. There really isn't a one size fits all reaction to it.

And if you read the judges comments, you'll see that one of the abused women told their family in the 1990s and then confronted Harris about it in 1997. He even replied in a letter to get her to not come forward with it.

The reaction to what Savile did has made it easier for people to come forward because people are listening now.
    And don't forget that at the time Rolf Harris abused his daughter's friend, sex crimes were not commonly reported and the victims were nearly always blamed. At that time, child abuse was something to be hidden away and not talked about. I'm not sure how much better it is today, to be honest. It's traumatic enough for an adult to come forward, never mind a child.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/387494/EXCLUSIVE-Vanessa-Feltz-reveals-sex-assault-by-Rolf-Harris

How the hell was that supposed to have happened without anyone seeing? Feltz is in Hans Christian Andersen territory I fear.

I'm guessing he may have been a bit too touchy feely and Vanessa. I'm a bit surprised that Vanessa didn't tell him to stop because she's not exactly lacking in confidence when it comes to opening her mouth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    And don't forget that at the time Rolf Harris abused his daughter's friend, sex crimes were not commonly reported and the victims were nearly always blamed. At that time, child abuse was something to be hidden away and not talked about. I'm not sure how much better it is today, to be honest. It's traumatic enough for an adult to come forward, never mind a child.

This is the thing some people don't realise. I didn't hear of any child abuse/paedophile reports back in the '80s. I'm not saying there weren't any, I just don't remember any in the newspaper of on TV.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    This is the thing some people don't realise. I didn't hear of any child abuse/paedophile reports back in the '80s. I'm not saying there weren't any, I just don't remember any in the newspaper of on TV.

Don't you remember the reports on PIE (Paedophile Information Exchange) or the Cleveland child abuse scandal, in which two doctors wrongly diagnosed hoards of children as abuse victims, or the Robert Black murders (Caroline Hogg, Sarah Harper, Susan Maxwell)?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Don't you remember the reports on PIE (Paedophile Information Exchange) or the Cleveland child abuse scandal, in which two doctors wrongly diagnosed hoards of children as abuse victims, or the Robert Black murders (Caroline Hogg, Sarah Harper, Susan Maxwell)?

let alone it being well well known that the moors murderers abused their victims before death
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree there were instances of abuse being reported but it wasn't common. It happened, and people were aware it happened to a certain extent, but it still wasn't something that was spoken about openly, especially when Harris began abusing his daughter's friend in the 70s. I don't remember hearing about it being spoken about until into the 80s, as far as I recall anyway, and I'm only a few years younger than Bindi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I mustn't have seen them reports.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »

Feltz isn't exactly known as being shy and retiring. If this was on live tv in front of the cameras, why didn't she just shame him there and then? After all, the evidence would be caught on camera.

I'm sure many women have come across a man with wandering hands. You just pull their hand away and tell them to f**k off. It;s a completely different scenario to someone sexually assaulting an underage kid
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently reading the media, I think that perhaps half the country's population could be indicted and could be wondering about indictment.
    It seems that groping is / was indecent assault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    let alone it being well well known that the moors murderers abused their victims before death

Brady and Hindley killed their victims though. The celebrity and high up paedophiles who used their position to sexually abuse youngsters weren't exposed. Most of them weren't anyway. Exposing child abuse back then wasn't as aggressive as it is now.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kxk wrote: »

Rolf who????

Thank heavens he left.

It's like Andy Murray in reverse, when he's innocent he's australian, when he's guilty he's British!
  • Options
    LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Feltz isn't exactly known as being shy and retiring. If this was on live tv in front of the cameras, why didn't she just shame him there and then? After all, the evidence would be caught on camera.

I'm sure many women have come across a man with wandering hands. You just pull their hand away and tell them to f**k off. It;s a completely different scenario to someone sexually assaulting an underage kid

Its totally garbage, Vanessa is a scary women i dont believe for one minute she would have allowed this to happen.

This what worries me about these historic cases, all manner of people come out of the wood work, crying rape.

Its got to the state now in this country that men wont go near kids, even if they see them at 3 wondering the streets for fear of being arrested, and I know someone who found a toddler walking on the road in their estate, and instead of touching the child he rang his wife and asked her to come and help him as they only lived around the corner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    It's like Andy Murray in reverse, when he's innocent he's australian, when he's guilty he's British!

Nope.
    He has long been something we cringe at and try to avoid at all costs - and really an awful lot of the population don't know who he is. Generations go who???
    And when he popped up during the Jubilee celebrations, OMG I think the country shook a touch with all he cringing.

He has always been so fake.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Kalmia wrote: »

You make good points which some people would do well to think about.