Options

Two 12 year olds try to kill a friend to please The Slenderman

Comments

• Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Nor me, why would it? That's missing the point.

I'm not saying 12 year old's want to murder, but that because they were 12 they could easily have an extremely diminished ability to understand the gravity of what they were doing.. let's not forget why they did this, which is demonstrates it wasn't particularly rational or sane.

They are twelve, that is old enough to understand that by continuing to stab someone that person is in danger of dying quite rapidly.

I'd hazard a guess one of the girls is particularly disturbed. Perhaps they became a bit obsessed with Slenderman? Those stories are very scary. I don't usually go for histrionics, but crikey, if they're capable (and in one girl's case, remorseless) of this at 12, who knows about the future. :eek:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I apologise if this comes across as inappropriate or flippant, but it's a thought that struck me on reading how this thread has gone so far.

I wonder what the reaction would have been had this happened in this country ?. Obviously the most famous comparison is the Bulger case. Thompson and Venables were both two years younger than these two at the time but we had, and still have, people queuing up to insist they were fully aware of what they were doing.

Would we have a similar reaction if this case with the girls had happened here ?
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    It's America. Where the death penalty can extend to teenagers and the disabled.

It's Wisconsin. No death penalty there.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Oh absolutely - just to confirm I agree they shouldn't be tried as adults.

the more i think about it, the more wrong it becomes and there`s potential to extend it to paedophiliac defence if you carry the notion through.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I apologise if this comes across as inappropriate or flippant, but it's a thought that struck me on reading how this thread has gone so far.

I wonder what the reaction would have been had this happened in this country ?. Obviously the most famous comparison is the Bulger case. Thompson and Venables were both two years younger than these two at the time but we had, and still have, people queuing up to insist they were fully aware of what they were doing.

Would we have a similar reaction if this case with the girls had happened here ?

Those two should never have been released. Again IMO it shows something fundamentally wrong with them to continuously hurt someone when you can hear they're in pain.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They tried to kill her with a high level of premeditation. Being 12 is no excuse.
    Yeah I think this is what I lean toward also. Sound like they knew what they were doing.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids have vivid and cruel imaginations.

I was going to say that this is what happens when parents allow children to have free access to the darker side of what the web has to offer. But equally similar ideas could have come from comics or books or fairy tales. What's missing here is the concept of consequences. I wonder if the parents of the two girls were even aware of what they were in to?

I don't agree with the knee-jerk reaction to ban, ban, ban. Children need to be made aware of the dangers in life. Haven't we have told scary stories to our children for millennia? Not to purely frighten them though, but as a way of teaching them about risk and consequences without exposing them to real danger. Where was the parental supervision here?
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no child should ever be tried as an adult in my opinion, planning and remorse do not alter the fact that they are twelve years old.

Ok, let 'em off then! (Rolleyes)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, let 'em off then! (Rolleyes)

where did i say that?
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no child should ever be tried as an adult in my opinion, planning and remorse do not alter the fact that they are twelve years old.

Nonsense! Children can be extremely smart and know how to manipulate things to get their way. What would you be saying if a couple of kids of the same age had tried to murder a relative of yours or what would you say if they had succeeded? If a couple of kids tried that with a member of my family then I would want them gotten rid of!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    Nonsense! Children can be extremely smart and know how to manipulate things to get their way. What would you be saying if a couple of kids of the same age had tried to murder a relative of yours or what would you say if they had succeeded? If a couple of kids tried that with a member of my family then I would want them gotten rid of!

i would say exactly the same, as i`m sharp enough to know the difference between a child and an adult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where did i say that?

That is essentially what you are saying. Or seem to be.

If I am wrong, then please say what you would do with them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is essentially what you are saying. Or seem to be.

If I am wrong, then please say what you would do with them?
    maybe you should read my actual words.

they should be tried as children, as that is what they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe you should read my actual words.

they should be tried as children, as that is what they are.

I did read them.

You seem to object to justice being done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did read them.

where?

trying children as adults is not justice.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with the messaging is that it makes it seem like the internet/books/games are the root of the problem rather than the actual people committing the crime.

These 2 girls, planned for a long time to kill someone. That is shocking.

The discussion about ages and being tried as a child or an adult is a distraction.

If at any age you plan to murder someone then attempt to carry it out you are clearly a danger to society and shouldn't be free to participate in that society for a very, very, very long time, if ever.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what the likely outcome would be if they were tried as children rather than adults?

Its a tricky one. Im on the fence really. I think they should be tried as adults but it think the mental state is more important than their ages. To attempt to kill a girl for revenge is one thing, but to attempt it so they can live with some fictional character is absolutely crazy.

I think theres something seriously mentally disturbed there and i dont think any amount of time is going to make them safe in the outside world. Id say a minimum of life in a secure psychiatric unit, regardless of how old they are.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    It's America. Where the death penalty can extend to teenagers and the disabled.

IIRC the US supreme court has ruled that you can't execute under 18s, but you caan imprison them for life. I seem to think there is at least one 14 year old serving life without parole.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the likely outcome would be if they were tried as children rather than adults?

They're saying around 65 years in jail.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »

Its a tricky one. Im on the fence really. I think they should be tried as adults but it think the mental state is more important than their ages. To attempt to kill a girl for revenge is one thing, but to attempt it so they can live with some fictional character is absolutely crazy.

I think theres something seriously mentally disturbed there and i dont think any amount of time is going to make them safe in the outside world. Id say a minimum of life in a secure psychiatric unit, regardless of how old they are.

They would probably be in juvenile prison until 18 before moving onto adult prison. Unless you mean sentencing, no idea
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did read them.

It is funny how we both read the same words and come to completely different conclusions! I did not take Annette's post as to mean they should be let off, but to mean she does not agree with them being tried as adults because they are not adults. She seems to me to be saying they should be tried as the children they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    It is funny how we both read the same words and come to completely different conclusions! I did not take Annette's post as to mean they should be let off, but to mean she does not agree with them being tried as adults because they are not adults. She seems to me to be saying they should be tried as the children they are.

Which is essentially saying they should be do a few years in some youth offenders prison, before given a new ID and released.

After all, they didn't really mean it, had a bad childhood, didn't have enough money spent on them, unloved by parents blah blah blah...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which is essentially saying they should be do a few years in some youth offenders prison, before given a new ID and released.

After all, they didn't really mean it, had a bad childhood, didn't have enough money spent on them, unloved by parents blah blah blah...

either point out where i`ve said such things or rap up.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    either point out where i`ve said such things or rap up.
    What would you deem suitable?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    What would you deem suitable?

how do you mean?