Options

Americans - What's your perception on them?

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know everyone's different and I don't want to bring up stereotypes, but what's your view on our friends from across the pond?

The ones I've met seem OK, although I'm no big fan of any of their accents. I do find them quite quick-witted.

Comments

• Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muh Freedoms, Muh Guns, Muh obesity problems
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love them. Americans are fun.

I have no problem with the different accents, I find it interesting.
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    Americans are F******* awesome :D
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen too many sloppy generalisations about my own country on here to fall into the trap of making them about any other country. Americans are like any other large group of people - a mixture or good, bad and every shade in between.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like most other groups of people, the majority of those that I know or have met are lovely, the majority of those I see on TV are dicks.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    I've seen too many sloppy generalisations about my own country on here to fall into the trap of making them about any other country. Americans are like any other large group of people - a mixture or good, bad and every shade in between.

I like that answer.

God bless America. You have a nice day now y'hear?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    They're all right. I've met a fair few Americans living in Ireland and they were
    nice people.
    My cousin met an American woman, and he married her! Now they live in Boston
    with their two sons.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are loads of them, and they're all different. That's my first impression.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Have been to the US a couple of times, 4 different states, and found them mainly to be very welcoming, warm people. Hope to visit again some day.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be slightly wary of going to the Bible Belt in case I got lynched for not believing in Jesus and reading a Dawkins book on the coach! :D
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middle East Folk who happen to be mostly white
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »

Agree entirely!!!
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them, they are much more friendly than we are, much more likely to start a conversation in public and will always go out their way to help you. Customer service is also A*. They can always throw a bigger party and think things on a massive scale.

On the downside they do seem very phoney to us, they have big problems such as obesity and gun crime.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every single country has good bad and inbetween . How on earth could a whole country full of individuals be lumped together to be percieved as anything other than diverse
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    On the downside they do seem very phoney to us, they have big problems such as obesity and gun crime.

Don't come to Glasgow, then!
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deev1ne0ne wrote: »
    Don't come to Glasgow, then!

Ahh is that what is meant by "visit Scotland it might surprise you"
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres about 300 million of them...I doubt they are all the same lol to pass any opinion

Personally though the ones Ive met have all been grand, positive friendly people..except for the cutthroat corporate types but then we have them in the uk too and other countries...when you say "Americans" you need to define what you mean as youre talking about a whole continent of many different peoples
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,949
    Forum Member
    I haven't known that many.

There was Susannah who was lovely and talkative and made me pancakes once.
    Then there's Fiona, who was a fitness fanatic; she was from Ohio.
    Also Tom, who was a complete prick - a brash and very arrogant fraternity type I met in Cambridge.

So I deduce two thirds of them are very charming and nice, and the other third are twonks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I've met a few Americans and they've all been pretty nice. I mean some of my sarcasm went right over their heads but I have a pretty dry, deprecating sense of humour so I can't hold it against them.

I do get annoyed when some of them think it takes 20 minutes to get from Edinburgh to London (yes, really), or everyone is posh and polite and charming with a posh/cockney accent. I did tell one of them I was half Irish and they asked where in England Dublin was and I was like its a flight or a ferry away but I suppose I don't know all the state capitals or such so some of it is just cultural.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They talk differently and sometimes have different names to British folk.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having seen a few American magazine adverts and TV commercials and all I can say is that if they are successfully targetting a typical cross-section of the American public, then they must be even more stupid and gullible than those who actually bother to watch them in this country.

I find their fondness for the dumbest, most crass forms of Christianity truly disturbing, in fact almost as bad as those who are attracted to the most extreme forms of Islam.

Then there's their fetish for weapons: I don't know if that's mainly restricted to certain parts of the country, but that is totally retarded.

I know we breed some world class stupidity in this country, but the general impression you get from the TV shows broadcast over here is that they're the dumbest nation on earth. I'm sure that's just because we import all the cheap crap, such as Storage Hunters and American Digger.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met a few Americans and they've all been pretty nice. I mean some of my sarcasm went right over their heads but I have a pretty dry, deprecating sense of humour so I can't hold it against them.

I do get annoyed when some of them think it takes 20 minutes to get from Edinburgh to London (yes, really), or everyone is posh and polite and charming with a posh/cockney accent. I did tell one of them I was half Irish and they asked where in England Dublin was and I was like its a flight or a ferry away but I suppose I don't know all the state capitals or such so some of it is just cultural.

LOL!!!
    Bless

:D
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muh Freedoms, Muh Guns, Muh obesity problems

USA USA USA!!!! etc etc :D
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Gee your English is good. Do you speak English in England?'

Actual quote from a Chicago hairdresser.

More intellectual Americans also available.