Options

Crimes of Passion (Swedish crime drama) BBC4

Comments

• Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,040
    Forum Member
    It's been a good series so far.
    Just watched last night's on Iplayer and although it was a good episode there were too many scenes shot in the dark
    Just one suspension of reality, the series is set in the 1950's, so Sweden was still driving on the left but all the cars had left hand drives
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed last night's episode again.
    I think this has turned out to be a pretty good series - not a 'must watch' as The Bridge, The Killing and the early Wallanders were, but definitely worth watching.

Just two more to go now. Let's hope these are good too. :)
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The series has grown on me since the first episode. I think, like others have commented, that once you know what to expect it doesn't seem so bad.

Last night's episode was my favourite and I didn't guess who the murderer was. I still love the visual aspect of it - the beautiful scenery and the period settings. They didn't half smoke a lot back then. Everyone is lighting up every 2 minutes!

My favourite part was the final scene as Helene linked arms with Christer and walked off with him, the word "****" appeared on the screen (which apparently means "The End" in Swedish :D)
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    The series has grown on me since the first episode. I think, like others have commented, that once you know what to expect it doesn't seem so bad.

Last night's episode was my favourite and I didn't guess who the murderer was. I still love the visual aspect of it - the beautiful scenery and the period settings. They didn't half smoke a lot back then. Everyone is lighting up every 2 minutes!

My favourite part was the final scene as Helene linked arms with Christer and walked off with him, the word "****" appeared on the screen (which apparently means "The End" in Swedish :D)

I smiled at "****" too.
  • Options
    dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure it's done a lot more to boost the Swedish tourist economy that The Bridge did.

Never ending summers, beautiful people, and everything is in colour, not a dirty washed out grey.

I would take a holiday there like a shot, if they could guarantee me it would take place in 1955.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I smiled at "****" too.

Given that many Swedes speak good English, I suspect they did it on purpose.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Given that many Swedes speak good English, I suspect they did it on purpose.

I can't remember if they had a "****" at the end of other episodes. It could have worked at the end of the second episode where Christer was caught "kissing" in the car with the dark haired woman (sorry forgotten her name).
  • Options
    misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I have been watching this but mainly because there has been little quality on Saturday evenings now X Factor and the dancing programme are back.

I think it has been poor and mainly because the main female character who I think is meant to be a sort of Miss Marple is just too passive. Ola Rapace is by far the best thing in it but he is not the main character unfortunately. The first episode was a retread of Ten Little Indians by Agatha Christie and the following episodes have not improved on this. For me this is more Monday evening than Saturday night.

I will be interested to read what others' think.

Best

M
  • Options
    misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it's done a lot more to boost the Swedish tourist economy that The Bridge did.

Never ending summers, beautiful people, and everything is in colour, not a dirty washed out grey.

It is definitely not the level of quality of The Bridge

Best

M
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this series. I could criticise many things about it but it doesn't stop me loving it. It is much more like an English Midsomer or Christie Sunday night easy viewing drama than all the other Scandinavian series. It is not noir. The characters are mostly happy and not the usual terminally depressed types from broken hones. It is far fetched. Everywhere Puck goes someone is murdered and she is involved despite having no qualifications whatsoever! And it is in period, so everyone is upper middle class (or if not, a gypsy or a maid) and over-dressed to the max as if attending a wedding every day. So I take it with a pinch of salt. But I love the characters. I don't really care if they solve the murders or not, I just like bring in their company. Great title sequence too.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Like others, this has grown on me.

Christer is a great character and i did enjoy that in this week's ep, he was more of a focus. I do like Puck and Eje as supporting characters though.
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed that Doctor Who and Ryder Cup highlights clash with this tonight but I enjoy this and I'm going to watch.

Never mind, DW is repeated tomorrow and will be again!

(No, I can't use iplayer and my pvr has packed up.)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Claes Ljungmark who plays Viggo Norlander in Arne Dahl is in tonight's episode
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has it really taken this long for someone to give Puck a slap??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grey wrote: »
    Just one suspension of reality, the series is set in the 1950's, so Sweden was still driving on the left but all the cars had left hand drives

I noticed this after you flagged it. I looked it up on Wikipedia because the series seemed to be using authentic period cars and why would they make such an error. Apparently most cars in Sweden at this time WERE left hand drives and consequently the accident and death rate on the roads was high, which was one reason for switching to driving on the right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Has it really taken this long for someone to give Puck a slap??

A slap? She whacked her with almighty force on the side of her head with an antique brass doorstop, enough to leave her brain-damaged or broken-jawed and toothless. Then she injected her with the biggest syringe ever in the neck! But there was Puck, in the morning, in hospital but looking lovely!

I liked tonight's episode the most. I recognised most of the cast from other Swedish dramas in this slot and I thought the frigid, tense atmosphere and claustrophobia of the house worked incredibly well.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also absolutely love this show and for me its the best thing on TV at the moment. So atmospheric and well acted with always a twist at the end. I feel I know Puck, Christer and Egg (as we call him). Even with subititles its top notch telly. Hope they do another series when it ends next week.
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also absolutely love this show and for me its the best thing on TV at the moment. So atmospheric and well acted with always a twist at the end. I feel I know Puck, Christer and Egg (as we call him). Even with subititles its top notch telly. Hope they do another series when it ends next week.

Totally agree with you. I wasn't sure the first week but it grew on me quite quickly and now I really look forward to it - and there are not many programmes on at the moment that I feel like that about. I hadn't realised next week will be the last so disappointed to hear that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The series is based on books by Swedish author Dagmar Lang. Puck, Christer and Einar appear in more of them then the six ones used for this series so I suppose there's an option for a second second series

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/marilang.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The series is based on books by Swedish author Dagmar Lang. Puck, Christer and Einar appear in more of them then the six ones used for this series so I suppose there's an option for a second second series

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/marilang.htm

Thank you for the link. It didn't even occur to me that the series was based on novels or that the stories were written contemporaneously. Tag!
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,040
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    I noticed this after you flagged it. I looked it up on Wikipedia because the series seemed to be using authentic period cars and why would they make such an error. Apparently most cars in Sweden at this time WERE left hand drives and consequently the accident and death rate on the roads was high, which was one reason for switching to driving on the right.

Well, that's put me in my place:blush:
    I should have used Wikipedia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    that was my favourite episode so far because of the creepy and claustrophobic atmosphere and also mainly because puck's husband wasnt in it that much!! i personally just find him really tiresome and intense... he is good looking though... christer is not much of a best friend though, constantly leering after puck!! and seems like she is maybe beginning to have some kind of feelings for him too after that dream...

Let's be honest Christer would leer after anything in a skirt that had a pulse
  • Options
    miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We went to Copenhagen and Malmo this summer travelling on the Bridge, all because of said show.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with Saturday night's episode.
    I really enjoyed it again. Nice, creepy atmosphere and a reasonable plot as well.
    I'm sorry that it's the last episode next week.

Let's hope we get something decent after that....
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    seems like she is maybe beginning to have some kind of feelings for him too after that dream...

I wonder how closely the TV adaptations follow the books. Would Puck's feminism and the liberal attitudes to female sexuality have been commonplace in 1950s Sweden?