Comments

• jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »

If offering truthful reports of exchanges that took place is "throwing mud".

The BBC is proposing to release confidential communications between its journalists and South Yorkshire Police after being angered at comments by the Chief Constable regarding its coverage of the raid on Sir Cliff Richard’s flat.

James Harding, the BBC’s director of news and current affairs, has written to David Crompton, head of the embattled police force which is also under fire over its handling of the Rotherham sex abuse scandal, asking whether he will authorise him to release emails, text messages and the contents of “off-the-record conversations” between the two organisations.

The letter was sent ahead of their joint appearance in front of MPs on Tuesday, in which they are expected to trade accusations about the controversial raid.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

It sounds like neither the BBC nor the SYP covered themselves in glory over this episode, but from what I've read I have a little more sympathy for the Beeb's position.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cliffgate - did you make that up or the newspapers. Ridiculous calling every incident "xxxgate".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Cliffgate - did you make that up or the newspapers. Ridiculous calling every incident "xxxgate".

It's really stupid. Apparently it originates from Watergate, the office complex that was broken into and Nixon tried to cover up his administration's involvement. Ever since that scandal, "-gate" has become the suffix for scandals...
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really stupid.

DS - Where people moan about every single little bloody thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why not it's a stupid thing to call it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not it's a stupid thing to call it.

No, it`s a common suffix/shorthand to denote scandal and widely used. Get over it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another pointless waste of tax payers money. Points & wags finger at both parties and told to stop being naughty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm... Isn't that what this is? Tee hee hee, silly Billy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it`s a common suffix/shorthand to denote scandal and widely used. Get over it.

You get over it if I want to say it's stupid I will it lowers the seriousness of the case in general and trivialises it for both Cliff and the potential victim.

Plebgate is the other stupid one the media have nicknamed and again trivialised any hope of it been taken seriously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm... Isn't that what this is? Tee hee hee, silly Billy.

Ooh, what a wag you are.
    You get over it if I want to say it's stupid I will it lowers the seriousness of the case in general and trivialises it for both Cliff and the potential victim.

Yeah, I`m really bothered about what Cliff might think.....

It is an add-on in common usage. Is the OED enough of an authority for you?

http://public.oed.com/aspects-of-english/english-in-use/the-gate-suffix/

Now let`s have further discussion about the thread topic rather than the nit-picking nonsense like this that DS is all too often known for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, what a wag you are.

Yeah, I`m really bothered about what Cliff might think.....

It is an add-on in common usage. Is the OED enough of an authority for you?

http://public.oed.com/aspects-of-english/english-in-use/the-gate-suffix/

Now let`s have further discussion about the thread topic rather than the nit-picking nonsense like this that DS is all too often known for.

No let's discuss want needs bringing up not what you tell me too you are not a moderator or dictate the discussions that take place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No let's discuss want needs bringing up not what you tell me too you are not a moderator or dictate the discussions that take place.

Hilarious. This NEEDS bringing up does it?

You lost. It`s in the OED:
    One of the most significant episodes in modern US politics, Watergate has since reshaped the LANGUAGE of scandal and controversy in a format that also extends beyond English-speaking commentaries.

The OED‘s entry for Watergate illustrates how extensively the affair entered public consciousness. Within a year the word was being used to describe similar scandals elsewhere and had also spawned several derivatives including the verb to Watergate and the nouns Watergater and Watergating.

Enough threadcrapping - Get another hobby.

Ah, just noticed your location - South Yorkshire! Explains why you`re so keen to drag the thread off-topic! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hilarious. This NEEDS bringing up does it?

You lost. It`s in the OED.

Enough threadcrapping - Get another hobby.

If I choose to question the use of the phrase "gate" I will and if you do not like it tough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I choose to question the use of the phrase "gate" I will and if you do not like it tough.

Don`t you have a police-force to make excuses for?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don`t you have a police-force to make excuses for?

You obviously think you can bully people off the forum well you picked on the wrong person here so don't try it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously think you can bully people off the forum well you picked on the wrong person here so don't try it.

My, aren`t you scary?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My, aren`t you scary?

As scary as you think you are, which isn't very.

Now we can return to the topic now you had your little bullying session of the day and made yourself feel so much better for it.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sort of like Cliffgate, it's almost catchy. Plus there was actually a gate involved this time, the one outside his house.
  • CPUCPU Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plebgate is the other stupid one the media have nicknamed and again trivialised any hope of it been taken seriously.

The use of "Plebgate" was rather more justified than other "-gate" usages. The incident took place at the gate to Downing Street, and involved the use (or not) of the word "pleb".

Overall, I would say that the incident has been taken seriously.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do I detect the start of gategate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SYP saying it was Yewtree that leaked to the Beeb and if true doesn`t that pose interesting questions on what else Yewtree have? Makes a mockery as well of the BBC at the time explicitly stating on-air that raiding Cliff`s gaff was not connected to Yewtree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SYP saying it was Yewtree that leaked to the Beeb and if true doesn`t that pose interesting questions on what else Yewtree have? Makes a mockery as well of the BBC at the time explicitly stating on-air that raiding Cliff`s gaff was not connected to Yewtree.
    Quite possible then that someone connected with the Yewtree investigation was aware of the the Cliff investigation without YT officers being involved

But that is simply speculation of course
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught the admission that the SYP told the BBC of the impending raid (the BBC was not aware of that at the time).