Double decker trains

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
I watched Source Code the other night and it's the first time i'd seen a double decker train.
I didn't know they existed.

Are there any in the UK? I gues it would be a problem for the tracks with tunnels :D

Anyone been on one anywhere in the world?

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine they look pretty cool but completely unfeasible in the UK unless we built the whole rail and road infrastructure from scratch :)
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's weird, because I had a dream about being on a double decker train the other week. Thought I should patent the idea and put it about, but it's already been done :D
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    They have them in Canada and I was surprised but impressed at how spacious they were. There's no overcrowding in trains over there like there is here but, as Rainbowgirl says, there's the Victorian infrastructure of bridges and tunnels to consider in the UK.

I think that ideas such as HS2 are good in theory, as long as they are 'futureproof' eg they consider changing needs and are adaptable for new stations, double decker trains for increasing capacity, etc.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Been on them in Amsterdam, they're great - spacious and comfortable, room for luggage etc.
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went on one from Rotterdam to Amsterdam about 15 years ago, I was pretty amazed by them.

Just think how fantastic they would be in this country, personally I'm fed up with being charged a small fortune for a train ticket and then end up standing next to a toilet with someone's armpit in my face.

I know it's not possible with tunnels etc but it's good to dream
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I've been on a few in the States. One that stands out was the Zephyr. We only went Denver to San Francisco, it but it actually goes Chicago - San Francisco, and the scenery from the observation decks on the upper floor when going through the Rockies was something else.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I watched Source Code the other night and it's the first time i'd seen a double decker train.

Are there any in the UK? I gues it would be a problem for the tracks with tunnels :D

When I saw the thread title I just knew it would be based on Source Code.

How did I know?

Because I thought the exact same thing myself:D
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And any overhead electrified cables have to be raised.

It was quite a feat first time round.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8G4ncRpYQ
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Not any more. Double deckers were used on Southern region between October 1949 and October 1971. In practice, however, they were not a success. Station stopping times significantly negated any other advantages, and passengers on the lower decks complained of smelling the feet of those above. Also, as you say, much bridge restructuring would have been required if the programme had been rolled out over a larger area.

video of the inauguration of double decker trains 1st October 1949

The guy in the centre of the ceremonies, doing the handshaking, is Herbert Morrison, Grandfather of Peter Mandelson.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on the double deck trains in Holland....nearly got thrown off as I sat upstairs with a standard ticket when it was first class upstairs :D The conductor was not happy :D

There was nearly a riot in Rotterdam when they announced a 5 minute delay ...they don't like late trains in Holland :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on a double decker train in Switzerland.....
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went on one I New England on the way to Salem. It's a bit of a rush getting off the top deck to leave the train.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    France uses them. I went on one when I was younger.
    I think they cant be used here because the gauge is too narrow.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on them in Italy.
  • My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol I read the title of this thread as 'doubler deck trainers'.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went on one on the RER in Paris you have to sit on the top deck though to see that station name though otherwise all you see are feet on a platform.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I travelled on them in Hong Kong, Japan and I think Taiwan? Not as spacious as those above.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

I really enjoyed watching that. Thank you for the link.

/history geek
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    I suspect double decker trains are only really feasible if you're doing the tunnels/bridges from scratch, and have long gaps between stops, both of which happened in the US and Canada.

If you're having to stop the train every 5-15 minutes having twice as many people getting on/off is probably going to eat any possible time savings compared to having extra trains.

In some ways the UK is a victim of it's own success and innovation when it comes to our infrastructure, we had (from memory) the first real rail networks, the first subway, etc.
    And unlike a lot of Europe we didn't have to rebuild them from scratch after WW2, which means we're largely stuck with an infrastructure layout that was designed to fit the needs of the late 1800's and ealry 1900's, as opposed to having had the chance to start from scratch making use of the lessons learned after then (things like newer tunnelling techniques make it easier to go through hills, which mean you can keep the tracks straighter, which means you can go faster).

I suspect the train companies would love to build a new network pretty much from scratch rather than keep trying to make use of a network that is basically 100+ years old, but given the problems they face just extending a line, or building a new relatively short line it's not going to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I suspect double decker trains are only really feasible if you're doing the tunnels/bridges from scratch, and have long gaps between stops, both of which happened in the US and Canada.

If you're having to stop the train every 5-15 minutes having twice as many people getting on/off is probably going to eat any possible time savings compared to having extra trains.

In some ways the UK is a victim of it's own success and innovation when it comes to our infrastructure, we had (from memory) the first real rail networks, the first subway, etc.
    And unlike a lot of Europe we didn't have to rebuild them from scratch after WW2, which means we're largely stuck with an infrastructure layout that was designed to fit the needs of the late 1800's and ealry 1900's, as opposed to having had the chance to start from scratch making use of the lessons learned after then (things like newer tunnelling techniques make it easier to go through hills, which mean you can keep the tracks straighter, which means you can go faster).

I suspect the train companies would love to build a new network pretty much from scratch rather than keep trying to make use of a network that is basically 100+ years old, but given the problems they face just extending a line, or building a new relatively short line it's not going to happen.

No totally new network, but HS2 will mean a brand new track, and HS1 from St Pancras through Kent to the Channel Tunnel is new.
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the trains for Le Shuttle from Folkestoneare double decker. You drive your car on to the upper or lower deck.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    When I saw the thread title I just knew it would be based on Source Code.

How did I know?

Because I thought the exact same thing myself:D

Me too! Immediately thought of Source Code when I saw the thread title!

Can you imagine all the hundreds of rail tunnels and thousands of bridges which would need to be completely rebuilt to cope with a double decker?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I really enjoyed watching that. Thank you for the link.

/history geek

You're welcome :)
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention the double deck trains I've travelled on in Sweden to and from Stockholm Arlanda.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »

Can you imagine all the hundreds of rail tunnels and thousands of bridges which would need to be completely rebuilt to cope with a double decker?

Instead of raising the height of every bridge and tunnel, could they not lower the tracks?