Isn't it about time Moffat brought back the Vervoids?

ClackersClackers Posts: 628
Forum Member
✭✭
One of the truly frightening monsters from the class series, yet it seems other classic monsters/enemies are given the priority.

Just face it, the Sontarans are never going to work in NuWho. Neither will the Ice Warriors. They are not scary enough. Granted, Commander Strax is a good character especially with Vashta and Jenny, but as an alien race, I don't know why the Sontarans were ever brought back.

The Vervoids, The Sea Devils, and the Axons need to be reinstated. The Vervoids in particular can be made very scary and the NuWho generation will remember them fondly.

Vervoids from classic series have not much back story, and lots can be done with their story arc. Whereas, you feel the likes of Sontarans were done and dusted in the 70s. We cannot show their true purpose in life (i.e. war with the Rutans) because of budget constraints, so why just have one or two Sontarans turn up on Earth? Waste of time.

Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The heads would need a redesign, seeing as the originals looked very phallic indeed.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truly frightening? Are we talking about the same Vervoids? Men in badly fitting track suits with leaves stuck on and giant genitals for heads? Truly frightful more like...
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vervoids in principle were scary but the story was daft and the costumes funny and the lighting too bright to consider frightening.

I wouldn't mind a plant killing monster as I always think things like that are more scary for kids - real life things that attack you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vervoids?

Please, we need the Voord, they're long overdue for a comeback.

#BringBackTheVoord2014
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was quite fond of 'Terror of the Vervoids' at the time...haven't seen it for donkeys years.

But I'm afraid the Vervoids cannot come back as they were wiped out in the story. End of.

(Unlike the Daleks, The Cybermen, The Master, etc etc. ;) )
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was quite fond of 'Terror of the Vervoids' at the time...haven't seen it for donkeys years.

But I'm afraid the Vervoids cannot come back as they were wiped out in the story. End of.

(Unlike the Daleks, The Cybermen, The Master, etc etc. ;) )

The Daleks were wiped out in the Time War. Didn't stop some timey wimey happening though did it?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »
    The Daleks were wiped out in the Time War. Didn't stop some timey wimey happening though did it?

Yeah, I was joshing! Think the Daleks were 'completely wiped out' for the first time in 'Evil of the Daleks'? Not sure. I'm waiting for the DVD.

Well, one can dream. :D
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the Vervoids but the Ood have taken their niche in the Universe in NuWho.

That being an Alien race created (Veroids) or adapted (Ood) to be slaves to Humanity.
  • brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Moffat's managed to ruin both the Sontarans and the Silurians in one fell swoop with that f*cking awful "lesbian lizard lady" and her dreary chums, as well as rob the Cybermen of any last vestiges of menace, so hell, why not try bringing back a race of monsters that were so bad in the first place not even he could make them any worse?

Personally, I thought Bonnie Langford was far scarier than the Vervoids but each to their own.
  • W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    brouhaha wrote: »
    Well, Moffat's managed to ruin both the Sontarans and the Silurians in one fell swoop with that f*cking awful "lesbian lizard lady" and her dreary chums, as well as rob the Cybermen of any last vestiges of menace, so hell, why not try bringing back a race of monsters that were so bad in the first place not even he could make them any worse?

Personally, I thought Bonnie Langford was far scarier than the Vervoids but each to their own.

In that case, the Androgums are more than ready for a return. Can you see Matt Smith with bushy red eyebrows? Destined for classic status.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The future of NUWHO can be in safe hands if only they regurgitated a few classics:

Monsters:

1. Vervoids
    2. Axons
    3. Sea Devils

Humans:

1. The Celestial Toymaker (get Christopher Lee in before he pops his clogs)
    2. The Meddling Monk
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just googled them .... blimey ! that's all sorts of wrong , how did they get away with that ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just googled them .... blimey ! that's all sorts of wrong , how did they get away with that ?

They somehow managed to incorporate both types of genitalia into a single design :p
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The future of NUWHO can be in safe hands if only they regurgitated a few classics:

Monsters:

1. Vervoids
    2. Axons
    3. Sea Devils

Humans:

1. The Celestial Toymaker (get Christopher Lee in before he pops his clogs)
    2. The Meddling Monk

I would prefer they don't resort to lazy returns to past 'glories' that weren't ever actually that glorious and move forward with original and surprising ideas. Especially post Anniversary I would love it if there was something of a full stop placed on what's gone before. Time to move on. We don't need Rani. We don't need Sea Devils. We need the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    First they need to bring by the Rani.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That would be good :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    In that case, the Androgums are more than ready for a return. Can you see Matt Smith with bushy red eyebrows? Destined for classic status.

You stole my thunder! Would LOVE to see the Androgums return. A wonderful creation and very much maligned!
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alpha Centurai.

A big eye, a curtain for a dress and a silly voice.

Peladon was cool, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member

Not Matt Smith, no. Peter Capaldi, on the other hand, might suit bushy (bushier) red eyebrows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you not been watching the SJA? :sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Have you not been watching the SJA? :sleep:

Rani from SJA isn't the Rani.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rani from SJA isn't the Rani.

Have you not been watching Moffat's timey wimey? ;)

As soon as she becomes of adult age, she will be shoehorned into DW. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    brouhaha wrote: »

Would love to see more classic monsters come but I agree Moffat has already ruined those 2. In classic, the masks were genuinely alien and scary (sontarans looked like talking potatoes) but with nuwho prosthetics, they (sontarans, silurians, davros, zygons) all have human faces, human expressions and human voices so it just doesn't work! But surely we would get proper masks for vervoids and sea devils.
  • Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ANOTHER VOTE TO BRING BACK ALPHA CENTURI!

Although obviously the original Alpha CENTURI would have died by now, so it could be one of his/her descendants, which might look slightly different.

Perhaps they could have evolved to be pink instead of green?
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Alpha Centurai.

A big eye, a curtain for a dress and a silly voice.

Peladon was cool, though.
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    ANOTHER VOTE TO BRING BACK ALPHA CENTURI!

Although obviously the original Alpha CENTURI would have died by now, so it could be one of his/her descendants, which might look slightly different.

Perhaps they could have evolved to be pink instead of green?

Granny, are you out there? ;)