Did joey seriously just say the first world war ended in 1979?

Comments

• EmmabellEmmabell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I would like to see Essex teachers come forward and tell us why Essex seems to have a glut of these characters.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmabell wrote: »
    I would like to see Essex teachers come forward and tell us why Essex seems to have a glut of these characters.

Amy Childs and Joey Essex are hardly a 'glut'. Plus she actually went to school in a London borough so not sure how one idiot play acting reflects Essex
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Amy Childs and Joey Essex are hardly a 'glut'. Plus she actually went to school in a London borough so not sure how one idiot play acting reflects Essex

Brian Belo and some of the others from Towie are just as bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Belo and some of the others from Towie are just as bad.

Don't watch TOWIE but it's about as close a representation of Essex as Eastenders is of the East End and the characters are about as genuine as well.
    Sadly, acting thick seems to be a money spinner these days. Blame Jade Goody
    Forum Member
    Don't watch TOWIE but it's about as close a representation of Essex as Eastenders is of the East End and the characters are about as genuine as well.
    Sadly, acting thick seems to be a money spinner these days. Blame Jade Goody

Rachel Riley (the pretty Essex girl who is good at maths and I am not jealous of)gets really annoyed with the way Essex people act on reality shows.
    She was on a panel show with a Towie woman and you could see how irritated she was with her for being so bloody stupid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Not attempting to defend him at all, History was optional at my school from year 8 onwards you picked History, Geography or R.E. and even though I picked History it never before than or after covered World War 1 or 2. History consisted of Romans, Greeks, Medieval Britain, Crusades, Crime and Punishment and Victorian Britain for me. Anything I know about either was self taught post education. This was only 13 years ago.
  • kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fallucas wrote: »
    Not attempting to defend him at all, History was optional at my school from year 8 onwards you picked History, Geography or R.E. and even though I picked History it never before than or after covered World War 1 or 2. History consisted of Romans, Greeks, Medieval Britain, Crusades, Crime and Punishment and Victorian Britain for me. Anything I know about either was self taught post education. This was only 13 years ago.

You don't need a great knowledge of history to know that the first world war wasn't in the late 70s, ten years before he was born. For that matter do you need a biology lesson to know that stick insects are not made of wood? The guy and his agent are having a laugh at OUR stupidity for believing this rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fallucas wrote: »

I spoke to my mate this morning and she says her son in year 4 has already touched on the 2 wars in school and knew the answer immediately - he's 8 years old and couldn't believe a grown adult didn't know
  • kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoke to my mate this morning and she says her son in year 4 has already touched on the 2 wars in school and knew the answer immediately - he's 8 years old and couldn't believe a grown adult didn't know

Same here Blondie. My son did a project on the second world war two years ago in his class and recently they worked on the first world war. The thing with this stupidity card that these reality stars are playing is that they seem to be trying to outdo each other on how thick they are. It seems to be some badge of honour to know nothing. Is this what this country has come to? No wonder we are bottom of the league tables in the top subjects if these people are the kids' role models.
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Well he did question what wood was made of.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Joey is the living embodiment of the current breed of talentless poseurs who are legends in their own lunchtime and see ignorance as cultural currency.

He's entirely vapid and, despite the best edit this side of Biggins, he still didn't manage to even make the final. Imagine having a conversation with him? You'd be better off chatting to a particularly silent potato.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey is the living embodiment of the current breed of talentless poseurs who are legends in their own lunchtime and see ignorance as cultural currency.

He's entirely vapid and, despite the best edit this side of Biggins, he still didn't manage to even make the final. Imagine having a conversation with him? You'd be better off chatting to a particularly silent potato.

:D:D:D

Can't say any more than that

Sad thing is he'll return to a heroes welcome and a homecoming party at SugarHut attended by the z lists finest and all papped for the DM sidebar of shame
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder when he thinks world war 2 was?

Monday afternoon?
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

anne_666 wrote: »
    Monday afternoon?

:D:D:D:D:D
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

we'd be better off asking tv executives and agents and TOWIE viewers, you can't blame the education system that acting like a dimwitted f*ckwit now seems to be a respected career in showbusiness :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    we'd be better off asking tv executives and agents and TOWIE viewers, you can't blame the education system that acting like a dimwitted f*ckwit now seems to be a respected career in showbusiness :p

Agree. Ever since Jade Goody was treated like some sort of superstar for being as thick as sh*t, countless average Joes now think it's an easy easy way to fame and fortune.

As long as dignity and self respect are not high on your list of priorities, pretend you think Paris is in Essex, a carrot is animal and Hitler was the father of Jesus and you too can be a gazzilionaire
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »

What amuses me is kids believe that a large Twitter following indicates their level of fame. It doesn't enter their heads that TV audiences not all, by any means follow each other onto Twitter, as teenagers do. How many people had heard of Joey outside of TOWIE fans? He and Amy were the only two I didn't know of.
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Apparently Joey isn't thick, he just has dyslexia so they say. I think it's his parents who are thick for not teaching him these things. Oh and before anyone asks Jesus Christ was nailed to the cross in 1963 not 1962. I mean get it wright for heaven sake.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    Apparently Joey isn't thick, he just has dyslexia so they say. I think it's his parents who are thick for not teaching him these things. Oh and before anyone asks Jesus Christ was nailed to the cross in 1963 not 1962. I mean get it wright for heaven sake.:o

I know his mum committed suicide when he was 10 and that must have been a horrendous thing to live through. It's like he's stuck at that age though
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    Hasn't any of you watched TOWIE- im telling you that most of them wouldn't know when the war ended -Joey was not putting on an act then- he only knows what he needs hes said this before and i believe it!
    nice but dim comes to mind :D

I refuse to watch TOWIE for this reason. The fact that these thick idiots can become superstars that people fawn over and even look up to represents everything wrong with today's society. You don't have to work hard, have any degree of intelligence or even pretend to be intelligent. All you have to do is look cute and act dumb and hey presto! You're a millionaire.

Speaking as someone who's a similar age to Joey, he's an insult to be honest. Myself and quite alot of my friends have worked very hard up to this point, got ourselves a degree. I've been looking for a job since October, and I've got nothing lined up. So to see this dumb idiot being as successful as he is just depresses me to be honest. Nothing against the guy personally... he seems nice enough, if a little dim. I blame the idiots who watch shows like TOWIE, and now I'm fast loosing faith in I'm a Celeb.

Not only that, but if his rich background couldn't afford to fund a school where they taught when WW1 ended then I'm a Belieber. So either he's about as smart as a plank of wood, or it was fake. Either way... he's quite an insult. Trust me guys, not all people his age are that dumb. The education system isn't broken yet.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sad thing is he probably did think that. I really want to believe it is an act but I am starting to think it isn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LazySusan wrote: »
    Well he did question what wood was made of.
    :D Ha ha. I missed that.

I don't think ignorance is shameful per se. As Blondie pointed out, he had a fractured childhood, and appears to have struggled at school. It is lack of curiosity that drives me wild, not lack of knowledge. As with Ashleigh in Big Brother 2012, who not only didn't know who Hitler was but whined that she didn't CARE who he was. Joey really doesn't seem to be like that. He seems genuinely grateful when people explain things to him. He really did want to learn to cook, for example. Ignorance is curable and temporary. Lack of curiosity may be permanent.
  • peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    Before I recount this I will say I believe Joey was embellishing his answer but this reminds me of something that happened in Big Brother a few years ago. It was BB6

The housemates were bored so set up a quiz. A man called Derek was the quizmaster and asked a question 'What year did World War 2 end?'

There were 2 blokes in the show who weren't the sharpest, Maxwell and Anthony and Maxwell said to Anthony 'well I know it wasn't 1966 as that was the year England won the World Cup'

:D:D:D:D
  • peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    As with Ashleigh in Big Brother 2012, who not only didn't know who Hitler was but whined that she didn't CARE who he was.
    The big girl that year said she didnt care as well. Sorry can't think of her name. In fact this girl who was at University claimed she didnt care at all about gaining knowledge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Ha ha. I missed that.

I don't think ignorance is shameful per se. As Blondie pointed out, he had a fractured childhood, and appears to have struggled at school. It is lack of curiosity that drives me wild, not lack of knowledge. As with Ashleigh in Big Brother 2012, who not only didn't know who Hitler was but whined that she didn't CARE who he was. Joey really doesn't seem to be like that. He seems genuinely grateful when people explain things to him. He really did want to learn to cook, for example. Ignorance is curable and temporary. Lack of curiosity may be permanent.

I completely agree and that drives me insane. None of us know everything but surely its human instinct to want to find out? I've got people at work who are degree educated but don't seem to know very much outside of their own bubble. I've even heard one of them say 'why do you need to know stuff like that, that's what google is for' :(