Jordanian pilot burnt alive in a cage by ISIS

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    People have always been curious about the nature of death and watching people be put to death though, throughout history. It doesn't mean they lack empathy for the people on the wrong end of it, sometimes quite the opposite. You need to understand that everyone is different and your view, whilst right for you, isn't universally right for everybody.

This isn't about me. This is about Moaz al-Kasasbeh and his family. Watching victims of violence being filmed against their will isn't a matter of libertarian choice but complicity in the aims of violent crime.
  • Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I challenge you to suggest any reason for them making and posting the videos other than the hope that lots of people will watch them.
    Of course lots of people will watch them, their own muslim supporters for starters will provide a huge audience, regardless who else may watch them.

Some on here, including you, are moralising to those who feel it ok to watch such a video, and the 'what they want' cliche is being thrown about like confetti at a moonie wedding.

As if it makes any difference at all, to any future actions or videos ISIS will put out - they are going to do it anyway. Do you seriously think some ISIS commander is going to say "Hmm we didn't get as many hits as we'd hoped on that last video, we'd better stop killing people and filming it"?
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    This isn't about me. This is about Moaz al-Kasasbeh and his family. Watching victims of violence being filmed against their will isn't a matter of libertarian choice but complicity in the aims of violent crime.

I'm not complicit in the crime or its aims whatsoever. If anything, it made me think that even more resolve is required to get in there and eradicate these maniacs.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ebola is horrific, starving to death is horrific, dying of terrorism or war is horrific, so what we can and can't watch isn't going to be dictated to us by you.

Try being dictated to by your consience, if you have one.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    There is nothing whatsoever to be gained from watching this video. Nowt. Zilch.

If people seriously cannot imagine what a man being burned alive in cage looks like then frankly, they need help.

Quite a sickening little cabal, really. Can't they be content with Top Gear?

Why are you bringing in top gear and degrading it?

Completely destroys your post when it started off so well. No need to degenerate top gear viewers...
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want to watch people being burnt alive and filmed against their will as they burn. It's not a question of morality but humanity.

Keep your moral indignation to yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Ebola is horrific, starving to death is horrific, dying of terrorism or war is horrific, so what we can and can't watch isn't going to be dictated to us by you.

It's not a question of being too sensitive for the horrors of the world. To put it bluntly it's a question of not wanting to add to the crime by pissing on the victim's grave. All the people watching this video are collectively pissing on the man's grave as his family watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try being dictated to by your consience, if you have one.

You sit there like a sheep and watch what the BBC deems appropriate for you. I'll find out for myself.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people are that desperate to watch it, it's on liveleak I believe. I don't know why people bleat on about something not being on the news. It's available on the internet, if you choose to watch it, it's there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course lots of people will watch them, their own muslim supporters for starters will provide a huge audience, regardless who else may watch them.

Some on here, including you, are moralising to those who feel it ok to watch such a video, and the 'what they want' cliche is being thrown about like confetti at a moonie wedding.
    It isn't a 'cliche' just because you wish it was not true. it is indisputably what they want and it is absolutely no good denying it.

I'm not complicit in the crime or its aims whatsoever. If anything, it made me think that even more resolve is required to get in there and eradicate these maniacs.
    I am going to assume that your 'resolve' means nothing, and is in fact pretty cheap. If you are about to go to Syria or Iraq in some anti-Isis capacity I am clearly wrong, and apologise.
    Keep your moral indignation to yourself.

You appear not to understand the meaning of 'forum'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    If people are that desperate to watch it, it's on liveleak I believe. I don't know why people bleat on about something not being on the news. It's available on the internet, if you choose to watch it, it's there.

The BBC couldn't even show a cartoon on the news for fear of upsetting fanatical Muslims. Getting your news from them is an absolute joke.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Clearly a lovely bit of clickbait for fascist groups on facebook. Innumerable people have reported them for using this video as a way of recruiting people to viciously anti-Muslim groups (a truly lovely tribute to a devout Muslim who has just been horrifically murdered) and all of them receive the same stock reply: that the video does not contravene Facebook standards. Since one of the standards is that footage of serious violence is not allowed, one wonders how serious the violence would have to be before they would feel a tad concerned. If only the video had cut to a shot of a breastfeeding mother it could have been pulled without any problem.

You couldn't make it up. A man is horrificly burned to death by a group of Islamic sadist terrorists whilst other hostages wonder wjat on earth will be inflicted on them,and your main concern is 'Islamophobia'.
  • the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member

And those people who choose to watch it shouldn't necessarily be judged for it either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You sit there like a sheep and watch what the BBC deems appropriate for you. I'll find out for myself.

In this instance, you have 'found out' nothing at all that the BBC news has not given. Or if you have, please feel free to share these valuable facts with the rest of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't a 'cliche' just because you wish it was not true. it is indisputably what they want and it is absolutely no good denying it.

I am going to assume that your 'resolve' means nothing, and is in fact pretty cheap. If you are about to go to Syria or Iraq in some anti-Isis capacity I am clearly wrong, and apologise.

You appear not to understand the meaning of 'forum'.

You appear to want everyone to kowtow to your morals. I haven't said everyone has to watch it but you and others are saying nobody should watch it. You aren't the moral guardian of the Earth and nor will you ever be.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop trying to impose your morals on everyone else.

How is not judging people for something imposing anything?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the ocelot wrote: »
    And those people who choose to watch it shouldn't necessarily be judged for it either.

Did I say they should?
    Forum Member
    It's not a question of being too sensitive for the horrors of the world. To put it bluntly it's a question of not wanting to add to the crime by pissing on the victim's grave. All the people watching this video are collectively pissing on the man's grave as his family watch.

Only if they are watching it for titillation purposes. I imagine most people will watch it out of sheer disbelief that they did it, and will simply do a "What.....the......F?" on seeing that yeah, they actually did.

See I disagree with your fundamental point, and I think everybody should see just what these reprobates and enemy of the free world are currently doing to people like this pilot, so that their horrific and public deaths end up as the catalyst for an offensive against his killers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC couldn't even show a cartoon on the news for fear of upsetting fanatical Muslims. Getting your news from them is an absolute joke.

Newsnight showed the cover of the memorial issue of CH.
    Forum Member

I didn't say my resolve so get down off your high horse will you. Your endless pontificating to people on this forum is tedious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this instance, you have 'found out' nothing at all that the BBC news has not given. Or if you have, please feel free to share these valuable facts with the rest of us.

The BBC will tell you what to think at 1pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newsnight showed the cover of the memorial issue of CH.

Well according to Question Time a month back:
    Last night’s Question Time saw David Dimbleby chair a debate on freedom of expression following the Charlie Hebdo shootings. During the programme, Dimbleby stated that the BBC’s policy with regards to representations of Mohammed was to not depict the Prophet in any shape or form.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well according to Question Time a month back:
    http://order-order.com/2015/01/12/new-charlie-hebdo-cover/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    You couldn't make it up. A man is horrificly burned to death by a group of Islamic sadist terrorists whilst other hostages wonder wjat on earth will be inflicted on them,and your main concern is 'Islamophobia'.
    Nothing to say about what I have actually said then?

You don't have to 'make it up', just read the post you are linking and reply to it instead of just combusting with childish and synthetic rage.
    You appear to want everyone to kowtow to your morals. I haven't said everyone has to watch it but you and others are saying nobody should watch it. You aren't the moral guardian of the Earth and nor will you ever be.
    Nothing to say about what I have actually said then?
    Only if they are watching it for titillation purposes. I imagine most people will watch it out of sheer disbelief that they did it, and will simply do a "What.....the......F?" on seeing that yeah, they actually did.

See I disagree with your fundamental point, and I think everybody should see just what these reprobates and enemy of the free world are currently doing to people like this pilot, so that their horrific and public deaths end up as the catalyst for an offensive against his killers.
    Almost none of those watching the video will have the slightest chance of influencing any 'offensive'. They are watching it out of morbid curiosity, not to inspire them to greater heights of constructive action.

Unless you can demonstrate an example of someone who has been inspired to practical and realistic action by watching it? Good luck.
  • Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's a cliche - people just say it without thinking, as if somehow reacting in a certain way, will make them even more savage than they already are.

What difference do you and other moralists on here believe it will make to pussyfoot around them, avoiding things you percieve to be 'what they want'?

The answer is none at all - they are savages today and will be savages tomorrow,

Saying things like "Oh no, we can't bomb them - it's what they want" "Don't be outraged - it's what they want" " "Don't watch the video - it's what they want" is completely and utterly futile.