Tivo - No Copy Feature?/Locked Channel?

mllfapmllfap Posts: 528
Forum Member
✭✭
I can't find it anyway.
Does anyone know how to line up a sequence of recordings to copy to dvd one after the other?
I'm hoping the option is not there until I have some recordings on the box but the manual does not mention it .

Copying recordings one at a time will be a pain especially if it stops you using the Tivo while it does it.
This is a limitation of Sky+ that the V+ didn't suffer from.

Also , London is on 103 but my ITV is Anglia which is way down the Guide .
I've set it on FAV but when I go to it the box wants a PIN for this "adult channel":confused:

Comments

• BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately 'Copy to DVD' isn't on the TiVo
  • mllfapmllfap Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    Unfortunately 'Copy to DVD' isn't on the TiVo
    Could they add it with an OTA upgrade?

Along with universal padding its hard to think of what other basic features the Tivo boffins have forgotten.

Not impressed with the quality of sd channels either.

I wonder how long Anglia ITV will continue to be classed as an adult channel

Is it still a 7 day cooling off period to decide whether I want my V+ back.
    I'm missing it already despite its issues
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mllfap wrote: »
    Could they add it with an OTA upgrade?
    They could, but I'd be surprised if they did. Although I'm also surprised V+ allowed it. With 1GB there should be less need for separate storage. I think they'll eventually use the (wired) network to allow transfer of programmes between TiVos.
    Along with universal padding its hard to think of what other basic features the Tivo boffins have forgotten.
    That would be a good thing, then, if they've not forgotten any other basic features you can think of?

It's interesting that some people think TiVo is too complex. Although I think default padding would be a good thing, it'd also be another complication.
    Not impressed with the quality of sd channels either.
    That's a known bug which VM have acknowledged and promised to fix. (Probably in the September update.) It gets the de-interlacing wrong so the scanlines come out in the wrong order.

(There may also be more stretching than necessary, depending on your widescreen settings. The default is to stretch without preserving aspect ratio, but you can change it.)
    I wonder how long Anglia ITV will continue to be classed as an adult channel
    I guess forever, unless someone tells them about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only have the 500Gb model ( I guess you meant to say 1Tb) but why would I want to keep programmes that I want to archive on the Tivo .
    The box will likely need replacing at some point and you can't edit recordings so I keep my library on dvd's .
    In the event of a disc failing I lose one programme not my entire archive.

I would say for the average Sky viewer that Tivo is far too complicated .
    If you want to programme a recording or a series link there's no one button options here. It's nice for it to be flexible but I would guess many people will find it tiresome .

So I have to wait until September for my sd channels to be as good as they were yesterday ?
    Can't they do updates a bit more often if its necessary to make the box work as it should?
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Can't they do updates a bit more often if its necessary to make the box work as it should?
    They are.

However any updates have to be tested and confirmed as working as agreed. Some of what is being requested shuch as global padding isn't existing TiVo functionality so has to be written from scratch, rather than fixing an existing feature
    You can sign up to trial the SD fix if you like http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Virgin-Media-TV-Powered-by-TiVo-Picture-Quality/td-p/500443
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    ...If you want to programme a recording or a series link there's no one button options here. It's nice for it to be flexible but I would guess many people will find it tiresome ...

recording a simple series is far too lengthy i have to agree
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    They are.

However any updates have to be tested and confirmed as working as agreed. Some of what is being requested shuch as global padding isn't existing TiVo functionality so has to be written from scratch, rather than fixing an existing feature
    You can sign up to trial the SD fix if you like http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Virgin-Media-TV-Powered-by-TiVo-Picture-Quality/td-p/500443

I would have done but they won't let anyone else apply .
    Does this issue affect the scart output ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I right that the Tivo does not allow you to access OD shows from any point in the recording like the V+ did?

How about remembering where you get up to when watching a recording .
    I watched Graham Norton tonight but stopped partway through.
    When I returned it didn't seem possible to return to the point I got up to.
    A box appeared saying resume play from " the beginning" as if it was possible to change the point like you could on the V+ but I was unable to change the box.

Please tell me these basic options are available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredibly it seems that in order to return to the spot where you were in a Catchup programme you have to FF to it , and we all know how long that takes.

It seems as if it does remember where you are in a recording once you are a few minutes into it but its not possible to choose where to join the recording.

Thats too many basic features that are just not available and I'm expected to pay £3 a month for the privelege on top of my £49.95.

I shall be ringing Virgin to get V+ back first thing in the morning.
    Hopefully in 12 months the Tivo box will do everything I currently take for granted and I will try it again
    Forum Member
    Am I right that the Tivo does not allow you to access OD shows from any point in the recording like the V+ did?

How about remembering where you get up to when watching a recording .
    I watched Graham Norton tonight but stopped partway through.
    When I returned it didn't seem possible to return to the point I got up to.
    A box appeared saying resume play from " the beginning" as if it was possible to change the point like you could on the V+ but I was unable to change the box.

Please tell me these basic options are available.

Resume is fine

just click 'OK' on 'resume' (dont select any other options)
    or you dont even need to go into the programme menu, just press 'play' on the programme name and it 'resumes' by default

quite a few people seem baffled by this so it prolly not made as clear as it should - but seemed straight forward to me
    Forum Member
    ... its not possible to choose where to join the recording....

you have to FFW'd and then skip >¦ to the nearest 5 minutes which is fast an something you can do at any time and any direction so I can live with that - although i can't figure out why you need to be FFW'd AND skip and not just Skip
    ..I shall be ringing Virgin to get V+ back first thing in the morning.
    Hopefully in 12 months the Tivo box will do everything I currently take for granted and I will try it again

You should get your £40 install fee back too

Tivo has quite a few more problems than that but I wont be taking mine back - it would be like taking DVD player back because it doesn't rewind like my Video Player used to
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only have the 500Gb model ( I guess you meant to say 1Tb) but why would I want to keep programmes that I want to archive on the Tivo .
    The box will likely need replacing at some point and you can't edit recordings so I keep my library on dvd's .
    In the event of a disc failing I lose one programme not my entire archive.
    To me, TiVo is supposed to be a time-shifting device. Creating a permanent archive is surely a breach of copyright, and I don't see that TiVo should be designed for that.
    If you want to programme a recording or a series link there's no one button options here. It's nice for it to be flexible but I would guess many people will find it tiresome .
    Really? Watching Live TV, push Record, push OK, done. The sequence is the same for recording a programme from the Guides. It's two buttons rather than one, but surely that's not too complicated and I think being able to cancel it is a necessary thing in case the button was pushed by accident.
    So I have to wait until September for my sd channels to be as good as they were yesterday ?
    I don't work for VM; that's just my guess from reading forums.
    There's a trade-off between the severity of the problem and the risk of causing more problems with a bad fix.

If you don't have an HD TV, then you can make TiVo output everything in 576i and it should be fine. If you do have an HD TV, then all the main channels are available in HD so you shouldn't need to watch much in SD. The problem is virtually undetectable from 7ft from a 42" screen anyway. It definitely ought to be fixed, but it's no-where near the top of my list for severity. Presumably the fix involves changing the critical real-time video side of the system, so is judged high risk and warrants careful testing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »

Tivo has quite a few more problems than that but I wont be taking mine back - it would be like taking DVD player back because it doesn't rewind like my Video Player used to

I didn't have to pay an install charge so no worries there.
    I do like the extras that Tivo offers but to use your analogy its rather like buying a dvd player and not being able to rewind the film .
    Fancy features are not much use if the basics cannot be done.
    brangdon wrote: »
    To me, TiVo is supposed to be a time-shifting device. Creating a permanent archive is surely a breach of copyright, and I don't see that TiVo should be designed for that.

Being able to transfer recordings to dvd is a basic requirement - one that Sky HD caters for and one that the V+ catered for in an even better fashion.

Ok kids - thanks for your assistance .
    I'll pop back to the Tivo forums later in the year to see if it's caught up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Virgin CS guy I spoke to today I am the first person he has spoken to who has asked for their V+ back.

Strangely my V+ will be sent by courier who will also collect the Tivo and I have to put the V+ back in myself.

If only the On Demand content from ITV/C4 etc could be skipped through like the Iplayer content from the BBC.
  • SupercalcSupercalc Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    you have to FFW'd and then skip >¦ to the nearest 5 minutes which is fast an something you can do at any time and any direction so I can live with that - although i can't figure out why you need to be FFW'd AND skip and not just Skip

Skip by itself moves it forward 30 seconds, Hold skip down and its goes to the end of the recording. the left hand skip goes back 8 seconds or if you hold it down it goes to the beginning of the recording. The FFW'd and skip does as you say
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats another thing.
    The skip feature is actually quite useful - or at least it would be if it was like my Freeview recorder where you can choose several settings for it between 30 seconds and about 5 minutes IIRC.
    Mines set at 2 minutes which is more useful than 30 seconds.
    I daresay that might be something they will add at some point
    Forum Member
    Supercalc wrote: »
    Skip by itself moves it forward 30 seconds,...

doesn't 'skip' is the problem - it just FFWDs

i cant see anyone needing to FFWD # minutes?

Skip button should errrrm skip & the only way you can make that happen is to FFW first, [then] press Skip

weird
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the FFWD skip thing is a compromise with the networks. The series 1 TiVo had a feature that just skipped, but it was disabled/hidden, presumably because people used it to skip over adverts. Making it FFWD means you at least glimpse the adverts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doesn't 'skip' is the problem - it just FFWDs

i cant see anyone needing to FFWD # minutes?

Ideal for skipping ad breaks.
    My Freeview skips 2 minutes at a time so most of the time 2 quick presses and thats the ad break gone.

The 30 second feature is pretty useless as it stands at the moment.

However , I've changed my mind.
    Despite the negatives of Tivo (and there are quite a few) I decided that the V+'s inability to record padding and 2 recordings at the same time was more of a pain so I cancelled my planned V+ return.

I just hope these glitches are sorted out sharpish.
    The wife is not happy so please add a "view from" option for all On Demand content asap .