Pobol Y Cwm

Comments

• gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WelshHoll wrote: »
    @gpk - In my opinion, PYC is very slow burning. There's rarely a massive showdown or climax (like Eastenders) but the consequences of the first action tend to extend through the following weeks and pop up sporadically. For example, with Sheryl and Kevin splitting up, that carried on through the next weeks with Sheryl dating Gethin etc and still has effects now that they're all trying to get along for Wil's sake. The same with the contrast between the headteacher's decision to have an abortion and her daughter's refusal.

yeah i would agree with that. it is a slow burner. i just lost patients with the show. the pace was to slow. i was watching the catch up on sunday afternoons.

there were some good characters in the show. some of the storyline`s were good. it just needed a rocket up its backside! in my opinion!
  • PausePause Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was shocked to find one too! It's nice to be able to discuss it, I don't know many people who watch it.

It's not the character of Colin I dislike, it's the actor. I just find him too over the top, a bit hammy. I thought Charlie was a bit wooden too :o

I do kind of get where you're coming from regarding the actor who plays Colin.

As for Charlie, I didn't find him that bad, but he looked like he was lifted straight out of a 1970's Public Information Film, the type of ones where you've got the feral kids who fly kites into electricity plyons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Pause wrote: »
    I do kind of get where you're coming from regarding the actor who plays Colin.

I tend to skim over the parts with Colin in them these days. I've just got no patience for him. Luckily I watch most of the episodes online so he's easy enough to avoid.

@gpk - It can be a bit slow sometimes, I agree. I like that the storylines have depth but if it's a story I don't especially find interesting, it does annoy me when it goes on forever!
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I@gpk - It can be a bit slow sometimes, I agree. I like that the storylines have depth but if it's a story I don't especially find interesting, it does annoy me when it goes on forever!

i can see the depth in the story`s, like you say sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't!

i will try to give it another go. if nothing else it was helping me learn i few welsh language words!
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    haven't watched this in ages. it is a bit hit or miss. there never seems to be a big climax to a storyline.
    I agree that there are few big dramatic scenes when there is a big reveal. There was a lot of drama when Sion found out about Iolo and Alun. Sion even punched Alun. I enjoyed those scenes a lot. Too bad, we didn't get more of them before they hopped right into Alun and Iolo's troubled relationship. I feel that the writers did not let us savor the dénouncement, instead they quickly move on to the next phase of the story.

Also, it looks like they've replaced Gwern with another baby in the space of an episode. In the cafe on he was the usual baby and later on in the playpen at the flat, he'd swapped heads! :p
    I thought the baby looked different in the play pen, but I didn't realize it was a completely different baby. I was too busy trying to figure out what Garry was up to.

@gpk - It can be a bit slow sometimes, I agree. I like that the storylines have depth but if it's a story I don't especially find interesting, it does annoy me when it goes on forever!
    For the most part, I really enjoy the performances and the build up of stories on Pobol. I think that they have a strong cast with a few exceptions.
    Forum Member
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    For the most part, I really enjoy the performances and the build up of stories on Pobol. I think that they have a strong cast with a few exceptions.

I think the younger cast members (Huw,Lois etc) are especially good, particularly when you compare them to young actors in other soaps. This pregnancy storyline will be a test for them but I think they're more than capable of handling it.
    Even the most exaggerated characters like Danni and Debbie are totally believable. It sounds a bit sad but I'm quite attatched to some of them :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the younger cast members (Huw,Lois etc) are especially good, particularly when you compare them to young actors in other soaps. This pregnancy storyline will be a test for them but I think they're more than capable of handling it.
    I am looking forward to seeing how well they do with this story. I watch EE also and think the Pobol's young cast members are better.

Even the most exaggerated characters like Danni and Debbie are totally believable. It sounds a bit sad but I'm quite attatched to some of them :o
    I like Dani also. She can be bitchy, but she is likable. I don't like Sioned or the actress who plays the role. The character is over the top and the actress is not good enough to give Sioned soft edges. I do hope that Macs takes Sioned for all she is worth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Colin, but only when he's used as comic relief. The anti-climaxes are annoying though. Lack of consistency in relationships as well. Scott and Macs tend to go from mates to disliking each other from episode with no real ebb and flow, and it's too much of The Garry Monk Show at times. His character is never given a rest, I can't think when he hasn't been at the forefront for the past 5 years or so, and I hope he does go into prison so I get a break from him.

It'd be interesting if Macs taking Sioned for all she's worth is because of his issues with her mistreating her mother which he had before due to him never coming to terms with the death of Dr Gwen.
    Forum Member
    welsh_Gaz wrote: »
    Lack of consistency in relationships as well. Scott and Macs tend to go from mates to disliking each other from episode with no real ebb and flow

I agree with this. One minute there's tension over Sioned and the next they're having a pint! The same with Scott and Iolo...he's punching him in one episode and drinking together not long after. Also, have they just forgotten the "Scott's gay" storyline? I don't remember any solid conclusion to that.

I like your idea about why Macs is possibly scamming Sioned. Good thinking! He did seem to step it up a gear after the confrontation in the Deri when he told Sioned that she'll only get one mum and she doesn't know how lucky she is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macs motivated by his unresolved feelings about his mother's death to get revenge on Sioned because of how she is treating her mother would be great. I would love for Sion to confront Macs and then realize that Macs is still struggling with his mother's death. Sion needs to spend more time with Macs and give Iolo a break from his nosiness.
    I agree with this. One minute there's tension over Sioned and the next they're having a pint! The same with Scott and Iolo...he's punching him in one episode and drinking together not long after. Also, have they just forgotten the "Scott's gay" storyline? I don't remember any solid conclusion to that.

I think it is partly because they don't know what to do with Scott. It looks like they dropped the story that Scott is/might be gay, probably because they decided to hire Ryland Teifi to play Alun as Iolo's love interest. Now Scott roams around the village doing nothing much. I actually think that Scott is expendable and should be written out. He could be the victim of a hit and run with Ffion as the prime suspect.
    ... and it's too much of The Garry Monk Show at times. His character is never given a rest, I can't think when he hasn't been at the forefront for the past 5 years or so, and I hope he does go into prison so I get a break from him.
    Garry is like the Phil Mitchell of Cwmderi and it getting to be too much. Of everything that he has done, sleeping with Dani is the straw that has broken the camel's back for me. I love Brandon and he has been such a devoted brother. I can't stand it. I am pretty much done with Garry.
    Forum Member
    Re: Garry.
    They've invested so much time in building up this storyline quite slowly, right up from the introduction of Yvonne to this court case. Now it's coming to a head, Garry is featuring heavily. I don't think it'll last much longer once the trial is out of the way. They'll probably start concentrating on the Lois issue after that - although I can't say I'm looking forward to that as it'll mean more Colin :rolleyes:
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When does Garry Monk`s trial start? He didn`t seem too pleased that ratting out those blokes in Newcastle didn`t work out in his favour. I don`t think we`ve seen the last of those two thugs somehow. Wouldn`t it be funny if those 2 thugs and Garry have the same solicitor LOL.
    Ffion is really knocking back the win goch. Just a thought I had, but what if she drives drunk and knocks down Lois and Lois loses the baby??? Gaynor would never allow Ffion back in school and Ffion would self destruct even more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: Garry.
    They've invested so much time in building up this storyline quite slowly, right up from the introduction of Yvonne to this court case. Now it's coming to a head, Garry is featuring heavily. I don't think it'll last much longer once the trial is out of the way.

I appreciate that, I'm just sick of him being all over the show in one of the main storylines without a break for about the past 5 years now. Good to see Indeg's back though, because that'll mean more Griffiths and that's only a good thing.
    Forum Member
    Good to see Indeg's back though, because that'll mean more Griffiths and that's only a good thing.

I'm a recent convert to Griffiths. He used to get right on my nerves but since they paired him up with Jinx, he's grown on me!

Ffion's already been caught drink-driving once, ages ago when she was married to Hywel, so it's entirely possible she could do it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a recent convert to Griffiths. He used to get right on my nerves but since they paired him up with Jinx, he's grown on me!

Ffion's already been caught drink-driving once, ages ago when she was married to Hywel, so it's entirely possible she could do it again.
    Ooh I didn`t know that about Ffion. SHe`s had this drink problem quite a few years then - bubbling under the surface.
    Indeg is a sweetheart, and she and Ricky work very well together. In about 5 years or so, they`d make a great soap couple.
    I can`t wait til Wednesdays episode. I`m salivating at the thought.
    Forum Member
    wavlovr wrote: »
    I can`t wait til Wednesdays episode. I`m salivating at the thought.

I've just read the episode synopsis. Sounds like it'll be a good. Not before time too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Eileen finds Fflams collar and lead in Sioneds room.

*rubs hands in glee*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve always had a soft spot for Jinx. He needs a woman in his life - he deserves to be happy.

Something I noticed since I`ve been watching PYC...there is a lot of rivalry between South and North Wales, I became aware of it during Proberts interview on Cwm FM and he made some nasty remarks about Meic Pearce because Meic is from North Wales and Probart is from South Wales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to Wednesday's episode also. It is about time.

The show should give Ffion a little happiness. Ideally, I would like her to be with Jinx.

I like Griffiths as well. He is silly, but makes me laugh.

I would be surprised if Garry even goes on trial. I see him getting out of this mess somehow.
  • will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    I am looking forward to Wednesday's episode also. It is about time.

The show should give Ffion a little happiness. Ideally, I would like her to be with Jinx.

I like Griffiths as well. He is silly, but makes me laugh.

I would be surprised if Garry even goes on trial. I see him getting out of this mess somehow.

Griffiths is better "comic relief" than Dai. :D:D
    Forum Member
    wavlovr wrote: »
    I`ve always had a soft spot for Jinx. He needs a woman in his life - he deserves to be happy.

There hasn't really been any love interests for Jinx since Izzy. It's high time he found someone nice.

Last night's episode was my worst nightmare - Colin trying to do "serious" acting and then Charlie showed up too! I skipped most of the episode!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, I tried to forget about Izzy. Probably the most unlikable character in the 6 or so years I've been watching PYC. I really couldn't be doing with her. I hope she doesn't return. This whole Kevin and Gethin being best mates thing I don't understand. Mind you, I really don't like Gethin for some reason. I find him really sleazy, and he just doesn't seem to have fitted in well for me. Maybe in time he will, but I just can't be doing with him for some reason.
    Last night's episode was my worst nightmare - Colin trying to do "serious" acting and then Charlie showed up too! I skipped most of the episode!

:D

He has a very petulant voice, does Charlie. Like being stabbed in the eardrum by a phillips screwdriver.

As regards last nights episode:-

I do like fun Colin, but serious Colin is a bit too intense, OTT and not very likable. I've never been huge on Gaynor though either, to be honest. She's too moany. Actually, I think Lois is the only Evans I can be doing with all the time.

Mark living in Griffiths' garden will be great though. I do love Mark, brilliant character.
    Forum Member
    He has a very petulant voice, does Charlie. Like being stabbed in the eardrum by a phillips screwdriver.

:D Great description! I think the actor is terrible and when you put him in a scene with an established actress like Anita (who I love!) it just makes him look even worse. I don't like Ricky much either :o

I quite like Gaynor. I find her a bit too cold sometimes but I think that's just because she's written as a 24 hours a day headmistress.

The actress who played Izzy left on maternity leave so if she's coming back at all, it shouldn't be long now. It might be to coincide with the reveal of Lois's pregnancy or the birth. I don't really see a place for her anymore though. So much has happened since she left, most of the people she was friends with have sort of moved on and I don't think Sheryl would want her in the salon again. I just hope they don't set her up with Jinx again.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will2510 wrote: »
    People of the Valley:D

Thanks! :o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since you admitted skipping most of the episode, I will admit doing the same. I just couldn't take the Colin/Gaynor drama and I wasn't interested in the Kevin/Gethin/Will scenes.

I don't have an opinion on Gethin, but I think that he and Scott could leave and I wouldn't miss either of them.
This discussion has been closed.