Disappointing Xbox One Sales

Comments

• Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the PS4 sold 1 million within 24 hours there wasn't some massive discussion about how many were left on the shelves and if it's really good news for Sony or not.

Go figure.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Yet, MS have said they're studios are making more games than ever before compared to the 360.....

That's what they are doing now, but over the life cycle of the Xbox One it may be different. This picture tells the whole story...

http://oi39.tinypic.com/991a85.jpg
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Oh dear what?

So a sales person working on commission is going to be more happy selling 140,000 consoles compared to selling 180,000 are they?

I highly bloody doubt that.
    Commission based, when did MS become commission based:D We are talking sales here..
    Going back to my original post based on sales you would prefer to sell 180k and have 120k stock left compared to selling 140k and being totally sold out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simsini wrote: »
    That's what they are doing now, but over the life cycle of the Xbox One it may be different. This picture tells the whole story...

http://oi39.tinypic.com/991a85.jpg

And it may not be. So to hold it as a negative over them I think it's a bit wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    And it may not be. So to hold it as a negative over them I think it's a bit wrong.

I would hope it is different, but you can only go on what has happened previously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hope it is different, but you can only go on what has happened previously.

Or you could look at the current facts which shows MS are working harder than ever to get more first party titles out there.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazzy71 wrote: »
    Think we are talking about UK base stock as well, any pointers where these can be found?

Try some of the Game stores in the UK.

Anyway, it's early days yet so in a years time if the sales have died then there's a problem.

Then again it might sell by the truckload in the next few months!
  • Ian KaneIan Kane Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Eurogamer it takes over 11 hours of grinding to get a Ferrari. Of course you can just buy all of the cars outright using micro-transactions, but that will set you back £1,400 (that is not a typo!).

So what you're saying is, and forgive me if I get this wrong: I have to actually play the game to earn a car I want ? What revolutionary idea is this ? I want it all handed to me on a plate !

All too often people moan about micro transactions when they don't affect the game. They're for the impatient people with money to burn and if you're basing you're decision on micro transactions, just wait until the PS4 launches with exactly the same thing. They all do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    Try some of the Game stores in the UK.

Anyway, it's early days yet so in a years time if the sales have died then there's a problem.

Then again it might sell by the truckload in the next few months!

No i have X1, it was just someone using US stock sites as some justification on UK sales
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commission based, when did MS become commission based:D We are talking sales here..
    Going back to my original post based on sales you would prefer to sell 180k and have 120k stock left compared to selling 140k and being totally sold out?
    Well since when is Microsoft a 'salesperson'. You didn't say would MS be happy, you said would a salesperson be happy. A salesperson would want to sell 180k in 24 hours, not 140k.

Just because you made 140k and sold 140k does not mean that if you made 150k you would have sold the extra 10k.

Sales in the bank is what matters.

If you made 300k and sold 180k in 24 hours, I don't think anyone is going to be sitting there going shit how are we going to shift the rest of this lot.

I don't know how you can even defend that 140k sales is better than 180k sales. It is quite frankly laughable.

Consoles can be heavily friend-dependent. So if your friend was able to snag an Xbox One because they had more available at launch, you too might get one later on because that's where your friend will be playing.

That's why it is important to have as many as possible, not just selling out the smaller amount you made because you can make a press release going yeah we sold out aren't we fantastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Kane wrote: »
    So what you're saying is, and forgive me if I get this wrong: I have to actually play the game to earn a car I want ? What revolutionary idea is this ? I want it all handed to me on a plate !

All too often people moan about micro transactions when they don't affect the game. They're for the impatient people with money to burn and if you're basing you're decision on micro transactions, just wait until the PS4 launches with exactly the same thing. They all do it.

None of Sony's first party games at launch have micro-transactions, they might have in the future we don't know. Gran Turismo 6 will have them on PS3 and hopefully that will affect sales too.

The whole concept of a game will be deliberately changed so it revolves around the micro-transactions that have been added. It is not a coincidence that it was easier to get cars in Forza 4 when micro-transactions weren't involved and the removal of many ways to gain credits shows that. In Forza 5 it's 54 hours of play to get the F1 car! They are increasing the grind hoping you eventually give up and pay for it. It's indefensible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well since when is Microsoft a 'salesperson'. You didn't say would MS be happy, you said would a salesperson be happy. A salesperson would want to sell 180k in 24 hours, not 140k.

Just because you made 140k and sold 140k does not mean that if you made 150k you would have sold the extra 10k.

Sales in the bank is what matters.

If you made 300k and sold 180k in 24 hours, I don't think anyone is going to be sitting there going shit how are we going to shift the rest of this lot.

I don't know how you can even defend that 140k sales is better than 180k sales. It is quite frankly laughable.

Consoles can be heavily friend-dependent. So if your friend was able to snag an Xbox One because they had more available at launch, you too might get one later on because that's where your friend will be playing.

That's why it is important to have as many as possible, not just selling out the smaller amount you made because you can make a press release going yeah we sold out aren't we fantastic.

Sorry thought we were in a MS forum and we were talking MS sales. Didn't realise i had to break it down for you what kind of sales person it was, whether it be MS sales person or Dodgy Dave's car dealership sales person.

You are just not getting it from a sales point of view comparing selling out the yield you produce compared to left over yield.

Even from a publicity point of view, what reads better MS sold out everywhere or MS break Sony's PSP record but have 120k stock unsold?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gran Turismo 6 will have them on PS3 and hopefully that will affect sales too.

So you are not getting a X1 due to micro-transactions so going over to Sony then you hit us with this. This is to funny:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry thought we were in a MS forum and we were talking MS sales. Didn't realise i had to break it down for you what kind of sales person it was, whether it be MS sales person or Dodgy Dave's car dealership sales person.

You are just not getting it from a sales point of view comparing selling out the yield you produce compared to left over yield.

Even from a publicity point of view, what reads better MS sold out everywhere or MS break Sony's PSP record but have 120k stock unsold?
    Microsoft is not a salesperson though.

So why ask if a salesperson would be happy with 140k or 180k sales and they cry about oh I didn't mean a real salesperson I meant Microsoft as a company.

You are the one not getting it.

If you sell 180k in 24 hours and have 120k left over you are not going to be in a shit street unable to shift those consoles any time soon. It isn't a one day only product.

If you sell 140k of 140k consoles made, well done you sold out, but you may have had the potential to sell more, so you've arguably failed to make enough.

In wish case you are now risking losing sales to the competition and thus, as I just pointed out, if someone goes and buys a competing device their friend will likely follow their decision as most people game where their friends game to enjoy multiplayer together.

And on your PR comment - it is better to break the record. GTA V broke records and didn't sell out, no one was running around going 'yeah they sold the most a video game has ever sold but they made too many copies, it counts for nothing'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you are not getting a X1 due to micro-transactions so going over to Sony then you hit us with this. This is to funny:D

Not sure why. I don't own a PS3 and would wish every game with micro-transactions fails, I don't care who makes it as I won't be buying it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft is not a salesperson though.

So why ask if a salesperson would be happy with 140k or 180k sales and they cry about oh I didn't mean a real salesperson I meant Microsoft as a company.

You are the one not getting it.

If you sell 180k in 24 hours and have 120k left over you are not going to be in a shit street unable to shift those consoles any time soon. It isn't a one day only product.

If you sell 140k of 140k consoles made, well done you sold out, but you may have had the potential to sell more, so you've arguably failed to make enough.

In wish case you are now risking losing sales to the competition and thus, as I just pointed out, if someone goes and buys a competing device their friend will likely follow their decision as most people game where their friends game to enjoy multiplayer together.

And on your PR comment - it is better to break the record. GTA V broke records and didn't sell out, no one was running around going 'yeah they sold the most a video game has ever sold but they made too many copies, it counts for nothing'.
    So MS don't have a sales managers who specifically work in dealing with sales figures? :eek: Major Nelson is a director but at the end of the day he's a sales person. In fact anyone who deals directly with a customer or client is a sales person even if that is not their role. Ever spoke to customer service and they have been awful so you are never buying from them again, is that person customer service or in fact a sales person as they just lost their company a potential future sale? My job is working for a IT company that sells itself on doing IT business for other companies. I'm part of the team that puts the bids together, is my position a sales person, no. Obvious you dont work in sales and are just one dimensional when you hear the term sales person so i apologise i should have put it in Layman's terms

If you think that selling more than a PSP would be better publicity than saying MS only sold 60% of their next gen console launch stock. Compared to MS beat their record and sell out all launch stock, then that sir is laughable.

Dazzy71 off home now to enjoy my X1,see ya
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So MS don't have a sales managers who specifically work in dealing with sales figures? :eek: Major Nelson is a director but at the end of the day he's a sales person. In fact anyone who deals directly with a customer or client is a sales person even if that is not their role. Ever spoke to customer service and they have been awful so you are never buying from them again, is that person customer service or in fact a sales person as they just lost their company a potential future sale? My job is working for a IT company that sells itself on doing IT business for other companies. I'm part of the team that puts the bids together, is my position a sales person, no. Obvious you dont work in sales and are just one dimensional when you hear the term sales person so i apologise i should have put it in Layman's terms

If you think that selling more than a PSP would be better publicity than saying MS only sold 60% of their next gen console launch stock. Compared to MS beat their record and sell out all launch stock, then that sir is laughable.

Dazzy71 off home now to enjoy my X1,see ya
    Of course MS have sales people, but Microsoft is a company. It is not a sales person.

You explicitly asked what a sales person would prefer. You never stated what would Microsoft prefer. If you had wanted to ponder what Microsoft would prefer you would have said 'would Microsoft prefer' not "would a salesperson prefer".

And again what utter tripe. It is much better to beat all sales records than just your own sales figures but sell out. No one puts out a press release going 'we sold the most video consoles ever, but don't get too hyped about this because there are 300k sitting on shop floors'.

The headline in the media would be that Xbox One beats ALL console records. And guess what people would read that headline and go wow must be good console, I might go see if I can buy one. Oh and look, they can because they're plenty of stock left. Oh look, EVEN MORE SALES.

In no way is it better to have LESS sales but sell out. NEVER. You want the most sales you can get. You want it in the most hands possible so they can spread the word of your product and get their friends to buy one too.

You do not want them walking home empty handed or with a competing product and by not having enough made to meet demand that is exactly what you're allowing to happen. Especially when you are priced grossly higher than the competition.

There is no telling that they would have 120k left over. You do not know what the demand would have been over the 140k figure. They might have sold all 300k out.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My launch Xbox 360 had its first red ring yesterday.
    With me having 30+ games I now have a difficult decision.
    Get a replacement 360 for £160 ish or spend £429 on a console with hardly any games.
    Madness to buy an Xbox One for another 6 months at least for me.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My launch Xbox 360 had its first red ring yesterday.
    With me having 30+ games I now have a difficult decision.
    Get a replacement 360 for £160 ish or spend £429 on a console with hardly any games.
    Madness to buy an Xbox One for another 6 months at least for me.

Replace the 360 and wait.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Hey, 2D, look, I found my doppelganger.

It's probably you anyway. :o
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    When did gamers become obsessed with console sales? It really is a pointless discussion at this stage in a consoles life.

The ps3 sales have proved this previously.

^ right, this. Ducking out of the thread now, absolutely pointless.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe me a sales person would not be happy with the first option at all(guess you are not in sales)

Think we are talking about UK base stock as well, any pointers where these can be found?

Could have picked up one from GAME this afternoon, still had some in stock.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Could have picked up one from GAME this afternoon, still had some in stock.

I know of at least three branches of Game that still have the limited edition Day One FIFA packs in stock - two of them have even offered an open invitation to phase 2 customers to come and pick them up.

I'm not saying the sales are bad per se, but they are clearly below expectations.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    When did gamers become obsessed with console sales? It really is a pointless discussion at this stage in a consoles life.

The ps3 sales have proved this previously.

Based on what happened to the PS3, we can rest assured the Xbox One will win this gen, eventually ;)

The 140k and 180k argument is fascinating, haven't got clue what the point is but it must be important. :D
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    CEX will even give you £485 for your console now such is the demand

They won't have 'any cash in the till' though.