2»

Comments

• Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF
    i never had to do any work at half terms

You were lucky. We had to pay the owner of the field for permission to pick his veggies and when we got home our dad would thrash us to sleep with soiled potato sacks. :D:D
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    You were lucky. We had to pay the owner of the field for permission to pick his veggies and when we got home our dad would thrash us to sleep with soiled potato sacks. :D:D
    You were lucky. At least you had a home. We used to sleep in a shoebox in the middle of the M1.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beano made me gay.

No doubt whatsoever about that.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a dispicable attack on a national treasure by a poster obsessed with rear wheel drive and banning stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were lucky. At least you had a home. We used to sleep in a shoebox in the middle of the M1.

Cardboard box?? Luxury! We are on the same wavelength my man :D
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    This is a dispicable attack on a national treasure by a poster obsessed with rear wheel drive and banning stuff.

Don't forget the obsession with the mythically huge "pension pot" owned by everyone over the age of 60. Me? I won't have a pot to p*ss in when I retire :D

Back on topic, what about General Jumbo and his wrist radio? That could be classed as prejudice against men who masturbate, as in "a quick one off the wrist"??!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cardboard box?? Luxury! We are on the same wavelength my man :D

Don't forget the obsession with the mythically huge "pension pot" owned by everyone over the age of 60. Me? I won't have a pot to p*ss in when I retire :D

Back on topic, what about General Jumbo and his wrist radio? That could be classed as prejudice against men who masturbate, as in "a quick one off the wrist"??!!

It all went downhill after Topless Skateboard Nun and Jump Jet Fanny and her Hawker Sidley T**t, but they weren't in the Beano.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my day the Bunty was a propaganda rag for radical feminism.
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Women's Own Magazine?

OOps..forgot Men Only!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my day the Bunty was a propaganda rag for radical feminism.

Yeah, those Four Mary's were the leaders of a subversive militant offshoot of the original Suffragettes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all went downhill after Topless Skateboard Nun and Jump Jet Fanny and her Hawker Sidley T**t, but they weren't in the Beano.

I beg to differ.....the Beano Summer Special of 1968 featured stories in which Jump Jet Fanny caused Jumbo to permanently damage his right wrist and Topless Skateboard Nun knocked Dennis the Menace off his bike. When he told his parents how it happened they thought he was hallucinating :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I beg to differ.....the Beano Summer Special of 1968 featured stories in which Jump Jet Fanny caused Jumbo to permanently damage his right wrist and Topless Skateboard Nun knocked Dennis the Menace off his bike. When he told his parents how it happened they thought he was hallucinating :D
    Next you'll be telling me that Lord Snooty became PM and his pals got jobs in the cabinet. All stuff and nonsense :p
    http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/nadines-selective-outrage.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next you'll be telling me that Lord Snooty became PM and his pals got jobs in the cabinet. All stuff and nonsense :p
    http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/nadines-selective-outrage.html

Aww, that link is "blocked by my organisation" so I'll have to wait till I get home. But what are you saying - that Lord Snooty ISN'T the PM? I'm off to lie down in a darkened room for the rest of the day :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aww, that link is "blocked by my organisation" so I'll have to wait till I get home. But what are you saying - that Lord Snooty ISN'T the PM? I'm off to lie down in a darkened room for the rest of the day :cry:
    To even suggest that there is a similarity between Lord Snooty and our beloved PM is tantamount to sacrilege. If I suggested such a thing I'd be accused of class warfare and drummed out of these forums (of course, if I'd been to public school I'd say fora instead). The PM went to the most egalitarian school in the land where ability and intelligence is no barrier to attendance, and then gained entrance to a middle of the road college purely on ability and qualifications, no strings pulled at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether the Beano is or isn't it certainly seems some on here are.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the Dandy? If that isn't a homophobic name for a comic, I don't know what is :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the Dandy? If that isn't a homophobic name for a comic, I don't know what is :p

That's rather Desperate Dan of you.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    What about milhouse in simpsons or stewie in family guy they both meant to be gay .

Dunno about Milhouse, but Stewie is most definitely Bi.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    To even suggest that there is a similarity between Lord Snooty and our beloved PM is tantamount to sacrilege. If I suggested such a thing I'd be accused of class warfare and drummed out of these forums (of course, if I'd been to public school I'd say fora instead). The PM went to the most egalitarian school in the land where ability and intelligence is no barrier to attendance, and then gained entrance to a middle of the road college purely on ability and qualifications, no strings pulled at all.

Is Eton still a charitable institution?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    I'm gay and have never thought that. He's just a wimpy posh boy. It's a shame if they've changed him and Dennis's dynamic too much.

Yeah, I thought Dennis' dislike for Walter was 'cos he was weedy and posh, not
    because he might be gay.

A lot of DC Thompson comics used to play
    off this "working class hero vs. posh anatagonist" -lots of the Victor's sports
    strips ( like Alf Tupper) did this.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll trade you David "Lord Snooty" Cameron for Ed "Mr Logic - he's a pain in the arse" Miliband.

http://www.samcarterdesign.co.uk/images/portfolio_images/viz/viz/images/strips/mrlogic.pdf
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Half term used to be so the kids could help with the harvest, and in country schools was variable depending on when the harvest was.

Half term in England used to be one day off (a Monday).

I'm not sure what this has to do with the Beano or homosexuality though.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For too long us "softies" have been laughed at and caricatured. Well now it's time to ban such stories in Beano and protest against similar depictions by parading about the publisher's officers in our aprons and Marigold gloves!
    :D
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    It always strikes me that Walter the Softy appears gay (clothing style) but he is the butt of all jokes, and violent attacks. We are meant to think it is amusing...

Should such stories and sterotypes be allowed?

Will people ever understand that effeminate and gay are not the same thing?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    floog wrote: »
    Will people ever understand that effeminate and gay are not the same thing?

There is such a thing as "Camp Straight" man (look at Prince or Russell Brand).
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is such a thing as "Camp Straight" man (look at Prince or Russell Brand).

I would hazard a guess that there are as many effeminate straight men as there are effeminate gay men.