Hair Lice

Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
Forum Member
✭✭
I have just seen something very disturbing (to me anyway). I feel so sorry for this little girl. :( I know they say lice are supposed to be attracted to clean hair but F**k this. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n02ZJKsjSdw

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i can`t watch it because i`m using a slow connection but i almost had to shave my head a couple of years ago after the doctor kept treating me for eczema on my scalp that turned out to be a severe case of lice. i`d clearly had them for a long time during which several people including a nurse and two different doctors looked in my hair and found nothing and i`d treated my hair with chemicals a few times.

i eventually got rid of them with a [bloody brilliant] nitty gritty comb.
  • Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can`t watch it because i`m using a slow connection but i almost had to shave my head a couple of years ago after the doctor kept treating me for eczema on my scalp that turned out to be a severe case of lice. i`d clearly had them for a long time during which several people including a nurse and two different doctors looked in my hair and found nothing and i`d treated my hair with chemicals a few times.

Probably just as well you don't watch this then Annette. I'm sorry to hear about your past troubles. How the hell though could the doctor have missed them btw? :o
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's unbelievable. My kids had headlice a couple of times but nothing like that. Poor kid.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you found that one disturbing, you're probably best to avoid this one that appeared in the related videos at the side :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_3tZ-0_vvY
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy eff. That is bad. My daughter's had them a couple if times, head lice are persistent little buggers. Anyone who claims you don't need a nit comb is lying, unless their other option is shaving the head entirely. It's very time-consuming if your kid has long hair.

And now my head's itchy.
    Forum Member
    Holy eff. That is bad. My daughter's had them a couple if times, head lice are persistent little buggers. Anyone who claims you don't need a nit comb is lying, unless their other option is shaving the head entirely. It's very time-consuming if your kid has long hair.

And now my head's itchy.

i never needed a nit comb before my missed lice took over, chemicals were luckily sufficient as i can`t get a normal nit comb through my curly hair.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dettols quite good for getting rid of lice. It's what I used on my daughter (she can't tolerate having her hair combed for long). You can actually see the little blighters fall out. Plus old fashioned remedies like olive oil.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My children were always getting head lice: they both had thick, waist length hair and it used to take me forever to comb it all through. I remember one of them getting flu once with a high temperature and it was interesting, if disturbing, to see headlice throwing themselves off her head because they could not bear the heat.

It is a great shame that ignorant people associate them with dirt and neglect: lice will always choose a clean head over a dirty one.
    Forum Member
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Dettols quite good for getting rid of lice. It's what I used on my daughter (she can't tolerate having her hair combed for long). You can actually see the little blighters fall out. Plus old fashioned remedies like olive oil.

a nitty gritty comb and conditioner is fantastic, i know that a lot of schools are providing parents with them. they go through my hair really quickly and without pulling [which is a bit of a feat], also you can do it in bits over the course of a few days if she doesn`t like the combing.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »

Yeah, we did a Dettol soak for a few hours with a shower cap on and then rinsed and lots of them just fell right off her head. I still did a comb-thru with the conditioner though and that did the job. I also did the nit-combing for a week afterward just to make sure and used tea-tree oil in the shampoo for a couple of weeks as it's meant to repel head-lice (they don't like the smell appparently).
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try head and shoulders. It makes the lice a lot cleaner. :)
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    If you found that one disturbing, you're probably best to avoid this one that appeared in the related videos at the side :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_3tZ-0_vvY

That was pretty vile, but I made the mistake of watching the "25 year old blackhead" one and nearly lost my lunch!
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I have very thick hair, and luckily never suffered from head lice.

The way i avoided it was that my mum lived opposite the school so whenever we had a class photograph, she would pop in and brush my hair and my sisters and make sure we avoided the "class brush".

Its amazing that the school was forever sending home letters about headlice, yet when someone came in to take photos, whether it be our official school photos, or even the local newspaper, the care taker would be in charge of lining eveyone up and brushing everyones hair with the same brush!

No wonder headlice were forever circulating around!
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    a nitty gritty comb and conditioner is fantastic, i know that a lot of schools are providing parents with them. they go through my hair really quickly and without pulling [which is a bit of a feat], also you can do it in bits over the course of a few days if she doesn`t like the combing.

Agreed. I'm an Early Years Worker and unfortunately they're an occupational hazard. The Nitty Gritty comb and loads of conditioner is great. I have long, thick, course hair and both me and my daughter are naturally curly. Another vote for tea tree as a deterrent, though that alone won't get rid of them if you've already got them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, i remember when I was at infant school I was forever getting them, despite having bobbed hair which was washed daily. The problem only really stopped when we moved area
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was riddled with them for a while but eventually they cleared up.

Did get a couple when doing my PGCE though.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone have to scratch the hell out of their head after watching the OP's video?
  • Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Did anyone have to scratch the hell out of their head after watching the OP's video?

God knows I have. ^_^
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »

I haven't watched it, just reading the thread is enough.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife recorded one of the Embarrassing Bodies programmes. This was a British mum whose daughter's hair was literally crawling with lice. "I've tried everything" she cried. Can't have tried that hard then, my wife and I agreed. I'll never know how a mother could have allowed her daughter to live just one day with such a monstrous infestation, let alone bring her on national TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've seen the video it's a bit upsetting.
    My girls school was rife with nits. I used to treat them on a Friday and by Monday they would be crawling again. There was no point speaking to the school, it was just endemic at the time. We should bring back the Nit nurses imho.
    My brother had lice in the 80's and was sent home from school with a letter stating he couldn't return until he had attended the local clinic to be treated.
    I remember this clearly as my Mum worked full time and I took him for treatment.

I do think that lice have become resist to over the counter treatments.
    I eventually got my girls clear with a 50/50 mix of vodka and tea tree oil.
    And used a deterrent spray and tight plates.

Once they moved on to secondary school the problem stopped.

I think the girl in the video might be a street kid :(