Thatcher Funeral ( Guest List )

occyoccy Posts: 65,039
Forum Member
✭✭
Over 2,000 people have been invited to Baroness Thatcher's funeral.

The Queen and Duke Of Edinburgh.

All surviving former prime ministers and former US presidents, along with Hillary Clinton.

Tony and Cherie Blair, and Gordon Brown and his wife Sarah.

Any members of Lady Thatcher's Cabinet who are still alive are invited, along with the current Cabinet and Labour leader Ed Miliband.

Michael Portillo, singer Shirley Bassey, TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jeffrey Archer.

FW de Klerk, the last president of apartheid South Africa.

Argentinian president Cristina Kirchner. ( Not invited )

But former Labour leader Lord Kinnock ( as mentioned in previous thread can't attend as he's at another funeral), also former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev and Ronald Reagan's wife Nancy as they are both unwell to travel.

Plus I guess 100's of FBI agents to protect the US and Former US presidents.

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Over 2,000 people have been invited to Baroness Thatcher's funeral.

The Queen and Duke Of Edinburgh.

All surviving former prime ministers and former US presidents, along with Hillary Clinton.

Tony and Cherie Blair, and Gordon Brown and his wife Sarah.

Any members of Lady Thatcher's Cabinet who are still alive are invited, along with the current Cabinet and Labour leader Ed Miliband.

Michael Portillo, singer Shirley Bassey, TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jeffrey Archer.

FW de Klerk, the last president of apartheid South Africa.

Argentinian president Cristina Kirchner.

But former Labour leader Lord Kinnock ( as mentioned in previous thread can't attend as he's at another funeral), also former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev and Ronald Reagan's wife Nancy as they are both unwell to travel.

Plus I guess 100's of FBI agents to protect the US and Former US presidents.

I'm a bit out of sync with the news today but WTF? Is that a wind up? no way could they have seriously asked her? are they trying to start a diplomatic incident!
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argentinian president Cristina Kirchner.

Notable as she has NOT been invited. So I don't know where you're getting your info from.

I shall not be watching it, as the motley collection of celeb sycophants will just remind me of what it used to be like when she was swinging that bloody handbag. And how I hated all in her ghastly cabal.

The sooner this is over the better.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit out of sync with the news today but WTF? Is that a wind up? no way could they have seriously asked her? are they trying to start a diplomatic incident!

It's not true....she was never invited...occy got it wrong...
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Notable as she has NOT been invited. So I don't know where you're getting your info from.

Ahhh

lol I was thinking wtf :D
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got that wrong... ;)
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »

I shall not be watching it, as the motley collection of celeb sycophants will just remind me of what it used to be like when she was swinging that bloody handbag. And how I hated all in her ghastly cabal.

The sooner this is over the better.

Indeed, but I fear the media will be in a feeding frenzy by Wednesday.

What I would like to see is for those who couldn't stand her, to line the route wearing 'Spitting Image' masks, or to simply turn their backs as the cortege passes.

However, I don't suppose much of the population will be very bothered at all.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Occy said she wasn't invited. It was done in a confusing way but there all the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nancy Reagan has asked Fred Ryan, chairman of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and a longtime personal friend, to represent her at the service.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nancy Reagan has asked Fred Ryan, chairman of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and a longtime personal friend, to represent her at the service.

I am surprised that she is still alive. She must be a very old lady now.
  • Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I am surprised that she is still alive. She must be a very old lady now.

91 years old
  • geordiejackiegeordiejackie Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Beckham "“My thoughts and the whole country’s thoughts go to the family."

Em no Beckham not the whole country stick to football sonny

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4882452/david-beckham-praises-margaret-thatchers-passion-and-strength.html

jack
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Dave Beckham has thoughts?
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Dave Beckham has thoughts?

I thought he was midfield, not a right winger.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    91 years old

Yes, probably not the best age to be doing a long flight just to sit in a cold church for a few hours.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Any of Pinochets relatives going.
  • kate53kate53 Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably one of the few people who defended Cherie Blair over the years , but I feel very disappointed in her for attending , do none of these people have principles ?
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    A shame that Gorbie and Nancy Reagan cannot go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F. W. de Klerk must be nearly 80.

Are the FBI there to protect the former presidents?
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    A shame that Gorbie and Nancy Reagan cannot go.

Agreed. I don't wish to get involved with who should take most credit, but I do believe that Reagan, Gorbachev and Thatcher did, between them, make the world a much safer place.
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F. W. de Klerk must be nearly 80.

Are the FBI there to protect the former presidents?
    No, the FBI is a domestic organisation. The US Secret Service provide protection to Presidents and former Presidents (and their Vice). State Department Diplomatic Security protect the Secretary of State.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    Agreed. I don't wish to get involved with who should take most credit, but I do believe that Reagan, Gorbachev and Thatcher did, between them, make the world a much safer place.

They did yes, all three against the grain too. Thatcher was the centre right ideologue who negotiated with her political enemies. Same goes for Reagen. Gorbachev was the same from the other side, a stringent left winger who engaged with his natural political enemies.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have never had an invite to a funeral
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Will Kim Jung Un be arriving by rocket?
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just people who are invited. Not those who will attend.

She will probably be just left with chris biggins and jim davidson in the end.