Options

Is the Beano Homophobic?

HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It always strikes me that Walter the Softy appears gay (clothing style) but he is the butt of all jokes, and violent attacks. We are meant to think it is amusing...

Should such stories and sterotypes be allowed?

Comments

• Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like that anymore - they changed it because of allegations of homophobia years ago.
  • Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's not like that anymore - they changed it because of allegations of homophobia years ago.

On subcription page Walter is getting shot out of a pink house by a hose pipe with hands on his bottom..

Its not just that the SNP is centred on Dundee, the comic book encourages bullying , especially against "soft" people

http://shop.beano.com/content/images/products/584/the-beano-comic-subscription_product.jpg
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one of life's killjoys. What next?
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    I'm gay and have never thought that. He's just a wimpy posh boy. It's a shame if they've changed him and Dennis's dynamic too much.
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They actually gave Walter a girlfriend as far back as the late 90s, if memory serves. If anything, he's historically shown MORE interest in women than Dennis has.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    It always strikes me that Walter the Softy appears gay (clothing style) but he is the butt of all jokes, and violent attacks. We are meant to think it is amusing...

The mystery of how you arrive at your political views has now been answered.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    The mystery of how you arrive at your political views has now been answered.

The Beano is better than Mein Kampf I suppose.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Buster1874 wrote: »
    Another one of life's killjoys. What next?

Religion encourages the belief in fairies and magic can we ban that next :D
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member

Damn thats one of the most impressive smack downs I have seen on this forum :)
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about milhouse in simpsons or stewie in family guy they both meant to be gay .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge on that.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    What about milhouse in simpsons or stewie in family guy they both meant to be gay .

No, Stewie is British. :)
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member

How old are you? :o

But yeah, the Beano is clearly a scourge on modern society and should be banned immediately before its corrupting influence plunges this country even further into the abyss.

FFS.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd have thought Cameron would want it banned to see the end of Lord Snooty......and His Pals

A savage indictment of the millionaire aristocratic Tory cabal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    How old are you? :o

But yeah, the Beano is clearly a scourge on modern society and should be banned immediately before its corrupting influence plunges this country even further into the abyss.

FFS.

You'll know when half-term comes.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    You'll know when half-term comes.

We're in to the second week of half term in Scotland already
  • Options
    Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On subcription page Walter is getting shot out of a pink house by a hose pipe with hands on his bottom..

Its not just that the SNP is centred on Dundee, the comic book encourages bullying , especially against "soft" people

http://shop.beano.com/content/images/products/584/the-beano-comic-subscription_product.jpg

Are they?
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    We're in to the second week of half term in Scotland already

Tattie week is what this break used to be called
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Tattie week is what this break used to be called
    Half term used to be so the kids could help with the harvest, and in country schools was variable depending on when the harvest was.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO it's homophobic to automatically associate feminine/'wimpish'/soft behaviour with being gay. Actually it's homophobic to associate any particular behaviour with being gay - other than being attracted to members of your own sex.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    Half term used to be so the kids could help with the harvest, and in country schools was variable depending on when the harvest was.

When I was at school it was the first week of October and we got sent to farms to pick potatoes and it was a crap job Freezing cold and it got real bad when bigger boys would throw potatoes at smaller kids heads Got about £2 for six hours work
    Loved picking rasps in July but hated the October tattie harvest
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

You do realise that the Beano was first created when Homosexual acts were illegal in this country (which it was until the end of the 1960's)
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was at school it was the first week of October and we got sent to farms to pick potatoes and it was a crap job Freezing cold and it got real bad when bigger boys would throw potatoes at smaller kids heads Got about £2 for six hours work

WTF
    i never had to do any work at half terms
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

£2 must have been a lot of money back in the 18th century though :D
  • Options
    pcawthronpcawthron Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walter the Softy appears gay (clothing style) but he is the butt of all jokes

I'm not sure that sort of language is to be encouraged in a discussion of homosexuality.