Amy and the Cybermen

scouseyb123scouseyb123 Posts: 204
Forum Member
Hi all I have just been watching The Pandorica Opens again and at one point, just after when the cyberman's severed arm opens fire, Amy says to the Doctor "who are they? [the cybermen]" . Surely she should know who they are after they invaded in 'Doomsday'? Simple script error or something more (i.e when she cannot remember the Daleks in "VOtD"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    or they were taken into the crack to??
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all I have just been watching The Pandorica Opens again and at one point, just after when the cyberman's severed arm opens fire, Amy says to the Doctor "who are they? [the cybermen]" . Surely she should know who they are after they invaded in 'Doomsday'? Simple script error or something more (i.e when she cannot remember the Daleks in "VOtD"

If she can't remember the Daleks, why would she remember the Cybermen, who'd previously fought the Daleks in London?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This threads title sounds like it should be the title of a very questionable Fan-fic.

:p
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,738
    Forum Member
    neel wrote: »
    This threads title sounds like it should be the title of a very questionable Fan-fic.

:p

Or a dodgy 60's group!:D
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    Or a dodgy 60's group!:D

I'm the fifth Amy and the Cybermen, having played bass with them while they were in Stuttgart. What people forget now is that the entire band lasted just eight years in the public glare before Cyber Leader and Cyber Controller fell out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    At some point the Cybermen went into the cracks.

The Doctor was puzzled by no one remembering the Cyber King.
  • Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and no. Amy doesn't remember the Daleks / Cybermen / Autons et al because of some important plot device yet to be revealed. Or Moffat is continuing Russell T's lazy "oh, I though they were like terrorists or something / I was on holiday in Ibiza / I was on the bog struggling with a crap the whole time" bullshit.

I'm afraid I suspect the latter. Old Who knew setting episodes prominently featuring aliens in the future would avoid all this; bad for budgets in this "credit crunch" though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Who knew setting episodes prominently featuring aliens in the future would avoid all this.

Old Who also knew not to have every other alien either: filling the skies, clogging up national TV or having their mothership float above The Tower Of London, Stonehenge or some other major tourist attraction in broad daylight.
  • sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy doesn't remember the Daleks / Cybermen / Autons et al because of some important plot device yet to be revealed.

It was revealed it was because of Amy's crack I thought

"I was on the bog struggling with a crap the whole time".

Now that would be very funny...:D
  • nyingynyingy Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Who also knew not to have every other alien either: filling the skies, clogging up national TV or having their mothership float above The Tower Of London, Stonehenge or some other major tourist attraction in broad daylight.

Really?
    Web of Fear, Spearhead from Space, Terror of the Zygons, spring to mind...

nyingy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    serton wrote: »
    Amy's crack

*juvenile snigger*:D

sorry:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just reread what I posted and... erm... oops!

Now that brings a whole new "dimension" to the story....
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Did I miss the explanation of why Amy didn't remember the Daleks (and Cybermen)? Can't have been that they were pulled into the crack or they wouldn't have been able to appear in the finale, so was it something to do with Amy growing up next to the crack and it wiping things from her memory?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy's crack (as in the crack in Amy's wall) had played havoc with her memory, erasing huge portions of it, hence not knowing her parents, the Daleks or Cybermen
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and no. Amy doesn't remember the Daleks / Cybermen / Autons et al because of some important plot device yet to be revealed. Or Moffat is continuing Russell T's lazy "oh, I though they were like terrorists or something / I was on holiday in Ibiza / I was on the bog struggling with a crap the whole time" bullshit.

I'm afraid I suspect the latter. Old Who knew setting episodes prominently featuring aliens in the future would avoid all this; bad for budgets in this "credit crunch" though.
    We've already had the explanation...
    Did I miss the explanation of why Amy didn't remember the Daleks (and Cybermen)? Can't have been that they were pulled into the crack or they wouldn't have been able to appear in the finale, so was it something to do with Amy growing up next to the crack and it wiping things from her memory?
    The cracks were actually erasing great chunks of the timeline from history more or less at random, so it's likely the Dalek invasion never happened (until history was reset at the end) which is why Amy couldn't remember it; until the Doctor's remark about her parents though, she was unaware that her memories were incomplete. But I doubt that anyone could remember the invasion at that point. The Daleks were still able to appear in the finale (and in VOTD) because they had time travel, meaning that group were not affected by the affect of the cracks on previous events at that point.