Options

Amy did not "remember" the Doctor back to life.

2»

Comments

• Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    Status Quo are of their time, a shake, a rattle and roll:D and an adjustment of hair :D

I lurv Quo - have done since about 1973. It's because of them that I learned to play guitar so I owe them thanks for a lot more than just their music - just like Doctor Who helped get me into science as well as entertaining me on TV.

I've never made any real money out of either of those things but they've been a source of pleasure for years.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lurv Quo - have done since about 1973. It's because of them that I learned to play guitar so I owe them thanks for a lot more than just their music - just like Doctor Who helped get me into science as well as entertaining me on TV.

I've never made any real money out of either of those things but they've been a source of pleasure for years.
    :D that's a great memory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thinking, did Amy say something out loud that triggered the Doctor being remembered by all.:confused:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just thinking, did Amy say something out loud that triggered the Doctor being remembered by all.:confused:.

She practically uttered a magic spell - can't quote it verbatim but it had the "old, new, borrowed and blue" speech and then she bellowed "You are late for my wedding-a!!!" - then the Tardis materialised.

Now you mention it, part of that speech included Amy saying "I had an imaginary friend" in reference to the Doctor - which makes it even more strange that Rory then says "How could I forget the Doctor" - but only after seeing the Tardis. He either played Doctor games (not Doctor's and nurses - they prefer Romans and Coppers) when they were kids or they didn't. If the story we are now told is true - that she believed in the Doctor but hadn't met him (in the new reality), Rory would not have"forgotten the Doctor" - he just wouldn't remember meeting him as a real person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She practically uttered a magic spell - can't quote it verbatim but it had the "old, new, borrowed and blue" speech and then she bellowed "You are late for my wedding-a!!!" - then the Tardis materialised.

Now you mention it, part of that speech included Amy saying "I had an imaginary friend" in reference to the Doctor - which makes it even more strange that Rory then says "How could I forget the Doctor" - but only after seeing the Tardis. He either played Doctor games (not Doctor's and nurses - they prefer Romans and Coppers) when they were kids or they didn't. If the story we are now told is true - that she believed in the Doctor but hadn't met him (in the new reality), Rory would not have"forgotten the Doctor" - he just wouldn't remember meeting him as a real person.

Could it have been someone else at the wedding that heard Amy, Rory say stuff and then abracadabra.:confused:
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Doctor didn't exist in the rebooted universe until Amy remembered him back (groan) after which he existed again, so anyone who had known him before knew him again. I suppose.

No, that does not tie in with the Raggedy-Doctor/Psychiatrist remarks which is one of the many reasons why I say it doesn't make sense. But is still fun to watch.

And now I'm going to bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could it have been someone else at the wedding that heard Amy, Rory say stuff and then abracadabra.:confused:

You've lost me.

None of the other people at the wedding had ever met the Doctor - they didn't have to "remember" him as they never even knew he existed in the previous universe.

The point about Amy's mum having heard of the Doctor wasn't about her remembering him - it was the simple fact that she'd heard of him at all. That means that Amy and Rory had been talking about and playing games so they may not have remembered being in the Tardis but it was "wrong" for them to say that they had actually "forgotten" him - especially Rory who appeared to have never even heard of "The Doctor" until the Tardis appeared.

As I say, it's more like the Doctor needed them to remember their time with him rather than actually needing them to "create" him in this universe. In the "new reality", he existed and had done all of the things we've seen in the past - except for everything that happened in series 5 upto and including flying the Pandorica in to the Tardis explosion. If Amy hadn't have remembered those adventures, the Doctor would have just carried on elsewhere. In that respect, I'd compare Amy and Rory's memories with Donna's - except that it was safe for them to remember.
  • Options
    DazerUKDazerUK Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy knew the Doctor years before she travelled in the Tardis and we really have no idea how much time travel River has actually done - we just assumed she'd been travelling for years with the Doctor but events in LKH suggest that may never have happened.

Correct. Amy knew The Doctor before she time travelled. That's why she forgot him when he was erased by the cracks. However, she had lived next to a crack for most of her life and she could eventually remember both Rory and The Doctor.

We know River has been time travelling ever since she was born. She had to get from the Demon's Run which I think was in about 5100 to Earth circa 1969.
    Amy also knew Rory AFTER travelling in the Tardis - they were both time travelling in it before he died.

As I said it's when they first got to know somebody not whether they time travelled together. Amy knew Rory before she entered the TARDIS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I think these two series are part of a Time-war plot-arc, hence why stuff keeps changing. Yes we can call it bad writing if we want, but if you have a Time-war it means parts of history will keep on getting re-written and look inconsistent with the previous telling earlier in the season.

IMO the Silence is engaging in a Timewar (not to be confused with Timelords/Dalak one) where they change the time line and then the Doctor changes something; back and forth. In part this would explain why "The Silence" is changing. This might be Moffat showing a Timewar and how crazy stuff gets to follow because of all the cause & effect.

As for the Original point about the Mother knowing the Doctor. IMO, in Universe 2 Amelia never really meet the Doctor, but echoes of his existence remained, as he's "a big complicated Time event". Easiest solution for Universe 2 to close the crack was to make him the imaginary friend everybody believed him to be.

There are a couple of Paradoxes in the BB, I put that down to Universe 2 was "still cooking"