Options

Displays with non-square pixels and iPlayer, ITVplayer etc

Maybe this is a well known and long since solved problem - if so, sorry to dredge it up. But I am stumped here and would love to hear from anyone who's solved it!

My TV is a Samsung PDP 42", and like many such TVs has a native resolution of 1024x768, meaning that the pixels are not square*. This sounds weird but seems to have been quite common in plasma TVs. Running a PC on this means everything is wide. For menus and so on, really who cares? But for watching TV it's pretty bad. Hence I'm posting here.

I can run iPlayer, ITVplayer, 4od, LoveFilm and so on OK but all look "funny". I guess there is probably not a one-off solution to the problem in general but maybe there is for these services. Has anyone found such a trick? Surely I'm not the only one with a TV at this resolution who'd like to watch Internet TV on it.

Any help appreciated... :confused:

* - note this is not "non-square" in the video production sense, where non-square means a specific pixel aspect ratio. I just mean they're not square! In fact I think they must be 4x3