Pointless thread about initials

2»

Comments

• Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned RA, REG, JB, HG and JL?

adams66 wrote: »
    BTW my favourite vowel is 'u', because I feel it's frequently overlooked.

I only like U when it comes after Q.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only like U when it comes after Q.

But we all like U, Granny! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we all like U, Granny! ;)

:o:o:o
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The initial episode of Doctor Who was called 'An Unearthly Child' and aired on 23rd November 1963.

(That was for Granny whose pension won't stretch to Watch and so didn’t see the documentaries that would have told her this)
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do people feel about Ü ?
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always liked the mysterious, sexy quality of X. And my favourite vowel is O. ;)

Care for a game? ;)
    Webslark wrote: »

I shall refer that question to lach doch mal.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Es ist toll!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, sure. In January 2009 a FM called Tigger-Roo started a thread called 'New Doctor Who Fan', which she was at the time. An ever-growing group gathered round her to enjoy experiencing the show through her eyes as she watched through all of New Who and then some of Old Who. The thread became a 'happy place' where people could chat about Doctor Who without complaining and negativity. We called ourselves the Whoonies. The Whoonie Inn was eventually founded by Digital Sid as a place where the lot of us (always a non-exclusive group, btw) could enjoy general chat and insanity in a pub-like atmosphere.

At some point the mods started splitting threads, so the original thread became New Doctor Who Fan Part Two, Part Three and so on. We kept pestering the mods to name the new parts after the Doctors, so finally the fourth part was officially named Part Tom Baker. After we ran out of Doctors with Part Smith, the mods started naming them Part Susan, Part Barbara and now Part Ian. And at some point it changed from 'New Doctor Who Fan' to 'Doctor Who Fans'. Only question is, what will come next, Capaldi or Vicki? :confused::D

Anyway, hope that explains the history of the threads. Anyone is welcome in either of them as long as they leave the negative vibes outside. :)

Cheers :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    The initial episode of Doctor Who was called 'An Unearthly Child' and aired on 23rd November 1963.

(That was for Granny whose pension won't stretch to Watch and so didn’t see the documentaries that would have told her this)

I don't need a documentary to tell me this - I watched the first episode when it was first shown. :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't need a documentary to tell me this - I watched the first episode when it was first shown. :p:D

Yes, I know. You have mentioned it once or twice.

Here's a question for you. What was it like? Did you instantly fall in love and watch every episode after that or did you drift in and out? Was there a buzz in the (I assume) playground or whatever?

(I am being serious here, would genuinely love to know what it was like in Nov 1963 from a genuine "I was there"er)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I would like to ask Granny if she/he (sorry, Im not being presumptious) can remember what size the tv was and if the broadcast seemed sharp in those days. I remember watching Jon Pertwee and at the time I reckon we had a 19 inch to perhaps 21 inch and that seemed large at the time. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Yes, I know. You have mentioned it once or twice.

Here's a question for you. What was it like? Did you instantly fall in love and watch every episode after that or did you drift in and out? Was there a buzz in the (I assume) playground or whatever?

(I am being serious here, would genuinely love to know what it was like in Nov 1963 from a genuine "I was there"er)

You're perhaps asking the wrong person because I was 14, so it wasn't exactly a playground, and of course other events caused the buzz that weekend, but one or two of us did comment about how good the new programme was.

Among my friends (then as now, sadly) sci-fi and fantasy was very much a minority taste. It was my dad who was as keen as me. We talked about the cavemen story and the subsequent Dalek one all the time. (My mum didn't get it at all, and couldn't see the appeal).

Yes, I fell in love instantly. No, I never waivered. Only when physically prevented did I miss an episode. (Going to work on Saturdays was a real pain - no method of recording stuff then).

I still count An Unearthly Child as my favourite episode. For sheer atmosphere and wonderment and mystery, it can't be beaten. I really don't know how anyone could watch it and not want to know who these people are and what happens next.

(Bit of a long reply - you shouldn't ask old bids for their reminiscences, they never shut up. :D)
    I would like to ask Granny if she/he (sorry, Im not being presumptious) can remember what size the tv was and if the broadcast seemed sharp in those days. I remember watching Jon Pertwee and at the time I reckon we had a 19 inch to perhaps 21 inch and that seemed large at the time. Thanks.

It was a smallish TV - I can't remember the exact size. 17 inch perhaps. I didn't really think about the quality of the picture. Sorry I'm being a bit vague! It was a long time ago. It was OK to me, but perhaps I was just used to the fuzziness. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    back to the initial question. :)

As the Director of the first episode had the same initials as the First Doctor, is it worth looking for any other similar links in the tenure of other Doctors?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    back to the initial question. :)

As the Director of the first episode had the same initials as the First Doctor, is it worth looking for any other similar links in the tenure of other Doctors?

And it looks like the only instance where this has happened!
    No directors with initials of any of the othe Doctors that I can see.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it looks like the only instance where this has happened!
    No directors with initials of any of the othe Doctors that I can see.

If only Chris Barry had directed Colin Baker...

I suppose we can't count the fact that Peter Moffat frequently directed Peter Davison (his real surname is Moffet...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only Chris Barry had directed Colin Baker...

I suppose we can't count the fact that Peter Moffat frequently directed Peter Davison (his real surname is Moffet...)

Or we could consider David McDonald and Derek Martinus or David Maloney.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Bit of a long reply - you shouldn't ask old bids for their reminiscences, they never shut up. :D)

No, no..I like nostalgia and love to hear rambling stories about the good ol'days when Doctor Who was on virtually constantly (even in none 50th anniversary years!!).

I worked on Saturday's during CB's (use of initials there so as not to upset webby!) first season and wouldn't get home in time to watch DW. We didn't have a video recorder back then so I had to get friends to record it then watch them at other friend’s houses. Proper rigmarole and I ended up watching them in all kinds of odd orders! (I think I got to watch AotC last!!).
    Life can sometimes get in the way of Doctor Who...bloody kids today don't know how lucky they are having TiVo and i-player!!