Options

Inconsolable German Shepherd

NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
Forum Member
Last week, my lovely GSD Jerry went in to have the boy bits removed from him..... Ever since, he's been really withdrawn from me and my parents and we had to take him back to the vets today to see why he was down.... Basically the vet said that he had a 'nappy rash' type thing from licking the wound too much and has now been given a collar to stop him from doing so.

But he's being quiet, he's usually really bubbly and always wants to play, but the past few days he's not been himself.....

On the other hand, my spaniel also went in to have his boy bits removed, but he's perfectly fine..... I'm really confused!!!!

Comments

• Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry to hear that, I suppose each dog reacts differently. Is he still on pain killers? With the wound hurting?
    I am sure it will just take time. :)
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is he moving and walking? Is he sitting normally and walking normally or does he look stiff (sorry ;-)) or awkward? And how old is he? Is he an older dog or less than 12-18 months old? Younger dogs tend to bounce back more quickly after neutering while it's a bit of a bigger deal for an older dog.

He may be licking because he is in discomfort. It's rare for complications to arise from neutering though some pain wouldn't be surprising and licking is a normal response. However, as you say that the op was last week (more than 4 days ago?) I'd have expected him to have started to return to his normal self. Does the wound look okay or is it swollen or red-looking? Did the vet prescribe antibiotics in case an infection has set in? Did the vet prescribe any pain killers?

If he is still quiet and withdrawn after another 24 hours, I wouldn't consider that normal and I'd talk againto the vet. In the meantime, I'd be keeping your dog on a lead and not let him run around as that may pull on the stitches and make him even more uncomfortable.

Hope you see an improvement soon. :)

oh and ps: he's not mourning the loss of his bits! :D He really won't know the implications of the op. ;-)
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes dogs get razor burn from the pre-op shave. They then lick that which gives them a rash. That and healing skin can itch anyway. So that's problem one. Problem two is he may be reacting to the pain meds many vets give post surgery. They're meant to keep him quiet so he doesn't tear out his sutures. He may be extra mellow from those. Very occasionally you'll have an animal that's just very slow to shake off all the effects of anesthesia. But that really should resolve after a couple of days.

When in doubt, go in for a recheck, but he's probably just healing in his own way.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Hate to say it but I guess it should be mentioned....

Anaesthetic can cause brain-damage in animals. It's very, very rare because most vet's know what they're doing but it does happen.

Hopefully, your dog's just feeling a bit sorry for himself right now though.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, sorry to hear about your boy.

My 7 month Labradoodle had his bits removed two weeks ago and fortunately he kept his lampshade collar on for the full 10 days (he didn't mind it as he's so laid back), so couldn't touch his incision, He had no stitches left mind by the end but it's healed lovely.

(My vet told me to keep him calm for ten days, I would have had more success climbing Mount Everest bare footed and without oxygen).

My boy seems about 100% more bouncy and bonkers after his op, I hope yours will be back to his self soon, give him time and try not to worry..

I am sure he will be fine, just keep giving him lots of love and cuddles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He seems to have calmed down a lot today, I think Jerry has had a rash or something, he seems completely different tonight, back to being normal Jerry!!'

I think the lampshade collar has helped a lot,

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's fantastic news, I am glad Jerry's back to normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tim, he's back to his usual habits now of following my every move! So pleased he's a lot better!!