Who else misses Spooks?

davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't get me wrong, I thought BBC1 ended the show at the totally right time... the ending was perfect, but it doesn't stop me from missing it though. Sadly Hunted didn't live up to the same standard as Spooks in my view :(

I am watching the final series of Spooks on DVD now - it's such a brilliant final series. I can't wait to watch the whole lot through from beginning to end to see the whole Harry and Ruth relationship develop again. I also loved Lucas, Richard Armitage played him so well - he was my favourite Section Chief.

Who else misses the series, does anyone else own the DVDs?

Comments

• EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The younger of my two brothers has them on DVD. (And I may ask if I can borrow them the next time I'm around his place.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Don't get me started on how much I miss it! Lol I've bought all the dvd's and have watched it thru again as I don't remember the first few series.

I think Ruth & Harry were the best characters in the show but I also loved Ros! For me it was at its best around series 7. The shock moment i thought was Connie being a traitor.

Nicola Walker & Peter Firth are fantastic actors & I like to follow what they have done since.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    i miss this too!!!
    sadly i don't have the dvds but would love it if they repeated it from the beginning, im sure it would stand up.
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadfully! It's my favourite programme ever. I loved Roz, she was so kick ass.
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,165
    Forum Member
    I miss it too!
    My favourite team was Adam/Ros/Zaf/Jo/Ruth/Malcolm and of course Harry :)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly amazed it hasn't been repeated (is it on any UKTV channels?) to be honest. It would be good to see the early series again.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ruth & Harry were the best characters in the show but I also loved Ros! For me it was at its best around series 7. The shock moment i thought was Connie being a traitor.

Nicola Walker & Peter Firth are fantastic actors & I like to follow what they have done since.

I loved Series 7 - it's one of my favourite series, it has a great story arc all the way through and I remember being so shocked when Connie was revealed as the traitor - most shocking Spooks moment ever for me. I didn't like Ros when she was first introduced but she grew on me. I loved her and Lucas working together in Series 7 and Series 8 - I thought they both made a great team.

My favourite series are 3, 4, 7 and 10 :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I think a while back I saw the early eps on Sony TV channel. But they stopped after a month or so iirc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope...the way they hang around in graveyards scares the shit outta me
  • Andy_EnglandAndy_England Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I miss the first few series, but it got progressively dafter after that. The lead actors would last only one series. Even some football club managers in Italy lasted longer than they did!

Keeley Hawes, Matthew McFaddyen and David Oyelowo - great team.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss it too.
    I didn't like the last two series TBH, with the change of character of Lucas and the 'love story" between Harry and that Russian woman and his kid. I hated the ending. Nice to see Nicola Walker pop up in Scott and Bailey.
    In the main though, an enjoyable show.
    I wish they they'd bring it back with a new team and maybe a cameo from Peter Firth to 'hand over'.
    One of the satellite channels did show repeats of the early series (Tom,Zoe and Danny) a couple of years ago, but I've not seen any since.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want a spin off series but with Harry and Malcolm as "gentlemen" spies who know how to keep a tidy room and kill with a blow to the throat! A sort of middle aged Avengers for the 21st Century.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I thought BBC1 ended the show at the totally right time... the ending was perfect, but it doesn't stop me from missing it though. Sadly Hunted didn't live up to the same standard as Spooks in my view :(

I am watching the final series of Spooks on DVD now - it's such a brilliant final series. I can't wait to watch the whole lot through from beginning to end to see the whole Harry and Ruth relationship develop again. I also loved Lucas, Richard Armitage played him so well - he was my favourite Section Chief.

The second to last series with him in it and the twist was excellent.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony Tv channel 157 is still repeating spooks and is on series 5 and jus checked and theres an episode on tomorrow night at 10.15pm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Spooks properly on BT Vision "on demand" last year I think. They had it from the first series to the last. I watched it back to back almost. When the series was first on telly I worked shifts so couldn't always watch each episode. I was excited when it it appeared on my Vision menu as I had the time to watch each episode from every series.

I'd like to see a new Spooks on telly from time to time.

I am so used to half decent USA crime/drama/spy stuff programmes now that it is a treat for me when we get GREAT British stuff on telly. The USA ones I like the most seem to get scraped after one or two runs. I have to give Canada telly a mention for some of the good crime/drama/spy type stuff I've watched on my BT Vision on demand. Just wish BT would now start showing the more recent ones rather than reshowing the same programmes for months and months at a time.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I did like Spooks and there's been nothing to even vaguely replace it since.

However, you asked about the DVDs and I do own some of the early ones (can't remember which exactly) and there is a huge problem with the background music. It's incredibly intrusive to the point where you miss dialogue simply because the music's hammering away in the foreground. It also has the effect of destroying the sense of tension that was so important to much of the human interaction. I don't remember this as a problem when I saw the episodes when they were originally aired so I suspect it's a screw-up by the DVD manufacturer.

Tragic, really, as it makes the DVDs unwatchable.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss it too!
    My favourite team was Adam/Ros/Zaf/Jo/Ruth/Malcolm and of course Harry :)

That is one of the best. I loved Fiona as well. It's a shame they felt they had to write out every female that got pregnant in real life. It would've been interesting to see Adam and Fiona being pregnant on the show. I guess they didn't want to go too far down the family route. Ruth and Ros were lucky they weren't killed off when they got pregnant!!

I have all the DVDs. I know Series 1 and 2 too well and they're my least favourite team so I might start from Series 3 onwards!
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is currently being shown on Sony Entertainment Television.:)
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the first few series, but it got progressively dafter after that. The lead actors would last only one series. Even some football club managers in Italy lasted longer than they did!

Keeley Hawes, Matthew McFaddyen and David Oyelowo - great team.

I quite liked the original team - they seemed quite naive and innocent compared to the later teams! For example, I love the episode in Series 3 - the 5th episode, when Zoe and Danny have to assassinate that guy on a boat and they are both agonising over killing another human being, even though Harry and Adam are saying it's necessary for the greater good. I just loved the conflict and the drama that came from making that decision. Fast forward a couple of series and they're all running around with guns killing people!
    mike65 wrote: »
    I want a spin off series but with Harry and Malcolm as "gentlemen" spies who know how to keep a tidy room and kill with a blow to the throat! A sort of middle aged Avengers for the 21st Century.

I LOVE that idea!
    rfonzo wrote: »
    The second to last series with him in it and the twist was excellent.

I quite liked the twist with Lucas as well. As a whole though, I found Series 9 quite weak.
    I did like Spooks and there's been nothing to even vaguely replace it since.

However, you asked about the DVDs and I do own some of the early ones (can't remember which exactly) and there is a huge problem with the background music. It's incredibly intrusive to the point where you miss dialogue simply because the music's hammering away in the foreground. It also has the effect of destroying the sense of tension that was so important to much of the human interaction. I don't remember this as a problem when I saw the episodes when they were originally aired so I suspect it's a screw-up by the DVD manufacturer.

Tragic, really, as it makes the DVDs unwatchable.

I haven't watched the earlier series for a while. I'll have to check them out again and see if I notice. I don't think I've really noticed it before! I usually play my DVDs with subtitles.

I'm so glad there's other people that miss the show too. I'm going to watch the final ever episode later and take a peek at the 'Top 10 Best Spooks Moments' extra on the DVD. That looks quite good!
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss how it was before the penultimate series when it jumped the shark.

Really miss Harry, Ros and Ruth :(
  • Andy_EnglandAndy_England Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I quite liked the original team - they seemed quite naive and innocent compared to the later teams!

Yes, innocent is a good word. :cool:I preferred it like that. The first few series had a certain quality to them which made them more believable. The plots were a little more varied, too. The later series seemed to be all about Al-Qa'eda and it became tiresome.

I always thought that David Oyelowo was a brilliant actor; something later confirmed when he starred in Shoot the Messenger.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Spooks will go down as one of the BBC's drama greats. Also it was just right for the internet era, as when it launched the internet was taking off, and the use of computer technology and graphics seemed so right for the early noughties. I don't think I saw a bad episode and the one where London is attacked with a small nuclear device is excellent.
    Yet the BBC were right to cancel it when they did as it had been on for ten years and that's enough for most programmes.
  • DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never forgive them for killing off Ruth
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss it, I miss the Hustle too
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am re watching on netflix , Have also convinced my American friend to watch it after he has watch the Brit version of Life on Mars which I also convinced him to watch:D