James Corden's major flop in US?

Comments

• MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I have never found him that funny either.

Me neither, I just don't get him really and never have, and I'm not sure the americans will either.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MinnieMinz wrote: »
    Me neither, I just don't get him really and never have, and I'm not sure the americans will either.

Same.
    I actually liked him In Dr Who thought he was very good, But as for Comedy I really don't find him funny. the problem with a US Audience unless its Posh English they don't understand, I have a very deep welsh Accent and my friends in the US can barely understand me in LA . But the people in Maryland can understand me no problem.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    Same.
    I actually liked him In Dr Who thought he was very good, But as for Comedy I really don't find him funny. the problem with a US Audience unless its Posh English they don't understand, I have a very deep welsh Accent and my friends in the US can barely understand me in LA . But the people in Maryland can understand me no problem.

Except he's replacing someone with a fairly strong Scottish accent so the audience is already used to a non American host for the Late Late Show.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorkjacksn wrote: »
    Is it me, or does it sound like he's adopting a slightly posher voice in this interview clip from 'The Talk'? Making himself easier to understand after those rumoured accent issues maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QclSpeV1DWs&t=39

He's talking more slowly and enunciating more. He sounds a bit like Jack Whitehall.
  • House of JonesHouse of Jones Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I do think he was an odd choice for this - it would have made much more sense to get someone with a stand up comedy background whereas Corden is an actor. He's not naturally witty and I don't think he has the skills in terms of thinking on his feet that this type of role needs.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfunny troll of a man.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think he was an odd choice for this - it would have made much more sense to get someone with a stand up comedy background whereas Corden is an actor. He's not naturally witty and I don't think he has the skills in terms of thinking on his feet that this type of role needs.

You didn't see him in One Man, Two Guvnors did you? I haven't seen much of his presenting skills but he can be very witty and quick on his feet.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    He's talking more slowly and enunciating more. He sounds a bit like Jack Whitehall.

Oh my god! He's totally changed his accent for the American audience. He sounds like he's a telephone switchboard operator from the 1940s!
    The gut is such a knob and a fake one at that. To suddenly speak all posh is hilarious. Where's is his integrity.
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    You didn't see him in One Man, Two Guvnors did you? I haven't seen much of his presenting skills but he can be very witty and quick on his feet.

But that's scripted which to some extent his interviews will b, the test will come when a guest goes off topic or into controversy.
    Forum Member

I did see him in that, which was kind of my point - as an actor I think he's very talented actually, but as a presenter he just doesn't have the same touch.
    Forum Member
    BTW I'm not willing him to fail, it's hardly his fault he was offered this gig (and he'd hardly have turned it down would he), but I think the US producers made the wrong choice. Reports suggest that he is doing a lot of training/prep, which isn't a good sign - Letterman had a point in that he (Corden) should have been able to start the job straightaway, the fact that he was not "ready" suggests he's not the right fit.
  • user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I don't find him funny at all but took to dislike him with a passion after he said that he fully backed the plans to take BBC 3 off the air. The hypocrite - he was first known via a comedy broadcast on that very channel!!! What about other young artists hoping to make it in the industry? I understand that BBC3 was (I don't know if it still is!) a platform which launched new low-budgeted stuff with young actors. How quick Corden was to bite the hand that fed him and especially help to make it hard for others to have a little path to start from. It baffles me how they could choose him for that slot (he is not funny or charismatic enough. The End.) but I do hope with all my heart that he flops in The States! There, I said it.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    As I remember James got his chat show in USA last year but didn't realise the debut of it is this month?! Why long delay? And reports on Daily Mail not looks good. So big flop for him?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2995137/James-Corden-s-dress-rehearsal-Late-Late-fails-impress.html

So Americans hired him to do a chat show in the US and now they are worried audiences in the US won't understand his accent or jokes :confused::o

I'm no James Corden fan but that article just makes the American TV producers and programme makers look stupid.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I agree. With a script he is excellent but without he seems to go to pieces when trying to ad-lib.

Late Night hosts have scripts and cue cards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    You didn't see him in One Man, Two Guvnors did you? I haven'to seen much of his presenting skills but he can be very witty and quick on his feet.

...I find that hard to believe carrying all that blubber about..
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way will he flop. Not a chance. The Americas will love him
  • CaligCalig Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Corden talks to NPR about how he got the job.
    The topic of late night TV came up when he was in a meeting with American network executives about a possible sitcom.

"I talked with Leslie Moonves, who's the CEO of CBS," Corden tells NPR's Scott Simon. "And we talked about late night and how I felt it could change, and perhaps be given a breath of fresh air, and then he offered me the job — it was very strange."

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/21/394343622/one-man-new-tv-show-james-corden-takes-over-at-late-late-night

His first guests will be Tom Hanks and Mila Kunis.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/20/tom-hanks-mila-kunis-be-james-cordens-first-guests-late-late-show
  • CaligCalig Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    The truly awesome Reggie Watts is going to be the bandleader.
    Reggie Watts, a frequent guest on “Conan,” is leaving IFC’s “Comedy Bang! Bang!” to serve as bandleader. “Star Trek” director J.J. Abrams has shot the title sequence, with hitmaker Mark Ronson providing the theme song.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/tv/297028591.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I don't think he handled the Stewart affair very well.
    I know Patrick started it but James reaction was pretty average.
    He hasn't got the personality or is quick witted enough for a chat show.
  • LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry this is from the Mail, but it sounds as if the wants a Wossy/Norton style show with all the guests on at once, and the producers and actors agents aren't keen. I can't understand why he was picked when there seem to be others who are far more qualified for the chat show format.

I can't see him lasting beyond a few months to be honest. :(
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the biggest joke is him being described as a 'comedian'. :D

I've always seen him as someone who gets paid a lot of money for being himself. And he's still not funny.
    I don't think he handled the Stewart affair very well.
    I know Patrick started it but James reaction was pretty average.
    He hasn't got the personality or is quick witted enough for a chat show.

Corden just got very angry, and he was standing, seething behind Patrick.

Pretty pathetic and immature.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Corden just got very angry, and he was standing, seething behind Patrick.

Pretty pathetic and immature.

I agree too.
  • pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the only thing that flops bigger is his belly when he unbuckles his trousers
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pianoforte wrote: »
    the only thing that flops bigger is his belly when he unbuckles his trousers

:D That made me chuckle. :D The use of the word 'unbuckles' was funny too. :D