Options

Police Squad!

JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
Forum Member
✭✭
Just browsing through my TV guide and noticed this is on at 10pm tonight on GOLD.

You may be interested if you liked the Naked Gun series of films and have never seen this short lived TV series on which those films were based.

The main character Frank Drebin is played by the same actor as in the films, the late great king of spoof, Leslie Nielsen.

It's one of my all time favourite comedy shows and it's a shame it was cancelled after only six episodes. If you do decide to watch it, then make sure you stick around for the final credits.

Comments

• Options
    KatanaBladeKatanaBlade Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I preferred the films but the show was quite good too and worth a watch if you like the films/Leslie Nielsen.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the films but the show was quite good too and worth a watch if you like the films/Leslie Nielsen.

Amazing that they made three successful films out of a failed six part TV series! I too much preferred the films but am still going to watch this.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Nice Beaver :cool:
  • Options
    KatanaBladeKatanaBlade Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Nice Beaver :cool:

A classic line. Gets me every time.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn it! Why don't I have Gold? eh eh?

Great series, how the hell it only lasted 6 episodes is one of the great scandals of television.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    what's the word on the street ?

there was another similar series......was it called Sledgehammer ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

Yes it was and that was another of my favourites (I've got the DVD boxset), the humour was a bit different to Police Squad but equally silly.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phrase "model prisoner" always makes me laugh now! :D

swingaleg wrote: »

Yes it was. I remember it being pretty funny.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    There is a superb visual gag where they are working undercover in a key cutting shop. After a while the camera pans back and the ceiling and walls are covered in keys.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    There is a superb visual gag where they are working undercover in a key cutting shop. After a while the camera pans back and the ceiling and walls are covered in keys.

One of my favourite lines from that episode:
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Det. Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And I'm a locksmith

This intro from an earlier series might be familiar :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f65xzJN9O18
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite lines from that episode:
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Det. Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And I'm a locksmith

This intro from an earlier series might be familiar :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f65xzJN9O18

Never seen that before - absolute spot on spoof they made of it. :)
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed on the TV guide that they were showing 2 episodes last night, episode 1 and 3. What happened to 2?

Recorded this and will watch later, very very funny, shame they only made 6 episodes
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it 30 years ago as a child, and roared with laughter.
    Watched it last night as a mature adult, and still roared with laughter.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    One of those cancelled far too early, if Police Squad had be produced nowadays it'd be a hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Damn it! Why don't I have Gold? eh eh?

It's always been a mystery to me as to why GOLD is not on Freeview.

Never realised that intro was based on another show.
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Noticed on the TV guide that they were showing 2 episodes last night, episode 1 and 3. What happened to 2?

I noticed that, just checked the upcoming shows and all episodes are due to be broadcast apart from episode 2, so don't know the reason for that.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Great series, how the hell it only lasted 6 episodes is one of the great scandals of television.
    Recorded this and will watch later, very very funny, shame they only made 6 episodes
    One of those cancelled far too early, if Police Squad had be produced nowadays it'd be a hit.

Agree with you all and according to Wiki, TV Guide ranked it #7 on their 2013 list of 60 shows that were "Cancelled Too Soon".
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are Gold not showing episode 2
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant show and cancelled for an absurd reason. Apparently the ABC network director cancelled it because he thought viewers would need to pay too much attention to get all the gags.

I caught a bit of it last night. I hope they show all the episodes again so I can sky +it
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it 30 years ago as a child, and roared with laughter.
    Watched it last night as a mature adult, and still roared with laughter.

Same here. Well, I'm an adult, anyway.

Still holds up. Always love the end credits after the 'hilarious' last line of the episode. :D

Sledgehammer! is great fun, too.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the full episodes are on YouTube.......:)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Never realised that intro was based on another show.

Not just the intro, I presume Lt. Frank Drebin is based on Lt. Frank Ballinger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Not just the intro, I presume Lt. Frank Drebin is based on Lt. Frank Ballinger.

You're right, just watched this comparison on Youtube and large parts of it were almost a word for word copy. Was almost expecting Lt. Frank Ballinger to crash into a trash can when he turned up at the crime scene. :D
  • Options
    immusicimmusic Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe it's just the way the episodes are numbered? I know that the names of each episode are completely different to the name that the voiceover gives at the start of each episode, so maybe they are deliberately numbered wrong as well?

I didn't know Sledgehammer was available on dvd boxset. I used to love that too.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I've also heard that the makers of Police Squad pulled it themselves because they knew it would work better (or more profitably! ) as a film.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right, just watched this comparison on Youtube and large parts of it were almost a word for word copy. Was almost expecting Lt. Frank Ballinger to crash into a trash can when he turned up at the crime scene. :D

Wow :D

I did notice the Cashier on M Squad shot twice while the Cashier on Police Squad only shot Twice once.

Jim fell both times though :D
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite scene is the cafeteria visual gag in the police room.

Alan North was so much better than George Kennedy in the movies.

"Coffee, Frank?"
    "A donut, Frank?"