Outraged by Call Centre Worker

Comments

• PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I used to get cold calls but the TPS has *mainly* gotten rid of that.

But now I just say that I am not interested/already have that service from someone else and am not looking to move etc.

It doesn't really help to be horrid to the person that is trying to earn a wage, even though I don't like that profession. But ultimately I don't buy things from strangers who phone me up.

I wonder about the whole "objection handling". If people know they do it, why not just say that you're not interested and that you do not need to do the objection handling because I still won't be interested.

Then say "thank you, goodbye" and put the phone down.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    You may be on the next series of Phonejacker!! lol
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »

However, acoustic shock is physical harm, and wilfully inflicting physical harm on another person is assault.

Ah yes, but there's 3rd party owned amplification equipment involved. If I turn my radio up to 11, put my head between the speakers and damage my ear drums - can I get the DJ convicted of assault?

If the headset is capable of damaging someone's hearing I'd say the fault lies with either the maker or the call centre for fitting them
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    I love annoying my credit card company because they call and ask me to confirm my ID to them. I always respond "well you called my number so surely you should already know who you're about to speak to, why should I have to tell you? You called me" - that stumps them!

That's a scamster. Credit card companies and banks go to great pains to tell people that they will NEVER call them and ask for an ID or PIN or any personal information (for very obvious reasons).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    That's a scamster. Credit card companies and banks go to great pains to tell people that they will NEVER call them and ask for an ID or PIN or any personal information (for very obvious reasons).

It isn't. HSBC and Halfax call me and ask my name and address details over the phone if they need to discuss my account. I always ask them the same thing, in that why do *I* have to prove who I am? Their response is that if I'm not sure, I should call them back... :S

They need to devise an additional 'if we call you' password or somesuch to get past that stupid situation.
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Ah yes, but there's 3rd party owned amplification equipment involved. If I turn my radio up to 11, put my head between the speakers and damage my ear drums - can I get the DJ convicted of assault?

If the headset is capable of damaging someone's hearing I'd say the fault lies with either the maker or the call centre for fitting them
    Don't be daft, that's like saying that if I hit you with a baseball bat then the bat manufacturer is at fault. Your DJ comparison falls down because you took the extra, dangerous, step of increasing the volume yourself.

The phone and whistle are the weapons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arwen wrote: »
    It isn't. HSBC and Halfax call me and ask my name and address details over the phone if they need to discuss my account. I always ask them the same thing, in that why do *I* have to prove who I am? Their response is that if I'm not sure, I should call them back... :S

They need to devise an additional 'if we call you' password or somesuch to get past that stupid situation.

I recently had that argument with my phone company who called me then asked me to confirm my name and address.
    I suggested politely that they would know that being as I was their customer. The guy got very shirty, and when I wouldn't give him any personal details until he told me what the call was regarding he said "fine, it's about some offers, you can look them up the on the web site" and hung up on me :rolleyes: Lovely customer service....
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply say to the caller:

"I'm sorry, I was just in the middle of masturbating when you rang, I'm going to continue while you talk if that's okay."

Either they will hang up, or you could make a friend for life.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just got called by "Out Of Area" so I thought here we go - one for DS!

Me: Hello
    Caller: Hello can I speak to Mrs nuttytigger its bob calling from Thomas Cook!

Now why can't they all do that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I can't say I've had cold callers call me before but here's a way to have fun in a way that the cold-caller would find really irritating. I instantly thought of it as soon as I saw the title of this thread. No abuse, just humour :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to answer "why not?" with a simple "because you cold-called me". They're not often sure how to react to that :D

Might try that some time! :D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be daft, that's like saying that if I hit you with a baseball bat then the bat manufacturer is at fault.
    No more like saying MP3 player manufacturers sound be forced to restrict the decibels of their players to a safe level
    Your DJ comparison falls down because you took the extra, dangerous, step of increasing the volume yourself.

I adjust the volume on my phone at work as regularly as I adjust my amp
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP's post hit a nerve with me, as last week I had a really annoying woman, who even after being told 3 times that I wasnt interested and they should remove my number from their dbase, rang me again, and asked if I was as rude to anyone else who phoned?.

That didnt exactly sit well with me, so I simply screamed down the phone at her, so as she didnt phone back, the stupid bint got the message.

These people are parasites, the worst offenders being those companies regarding debt relief, and the annoying morons who blather on about Sky warranties, none of whom have traceable numbers.

Mostly, when I realise the call isnt one I want, I simply say please wait, and put the phone on the table and leave it for a minute, so I waste their time, and not mine.
  • ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Good grief. That's a bit unfair. Almost everyone is peed off with call centres.

Try working in one.

Try going into work 5/6 days a week, 48 weeks a year,knowing that for the next 7 or 8 hours your going to be treated like a piece of shit by strangers on the phone (for a pitiful wage too). Most call centres are like sweatshops these days, you have to fight for a toilet break, if you are a second late back from your break you get a bollocking, if you don't sell enough or whatever it is your job to do you get the sack. Seriously, if your peed off, you have no idea how peed off the person on the other end is, trust me.

All you have to do is say nicely "sorry not interested, I don't buy things over the phone, please don't call me again as you will be wasting your time, goodbye"

If they keep calling back, you still don't have to lose your rag, I get cold calls having been a cold caller myself, as the number flashes up on my display I either ignore it or I answer it and tell them "look I know it's your job, but I don't want to deal with you, if you call again i'll have to put a complaint in and i'd rather not" that usually works.

It's how you say it that really matters, believe me, I could tell within a second of hearing someones voice if they were going to be horrible and if someone is being horrible I'm more likely to be horrible back. If someone is polite and reasonable, I am polite and reasonable back.

Pretty simple concept really, treat others how you would like to be treated yourself, I find it works.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When i worked in British Gas we got 26 mins for lunch at 4pm by which time the canteen had closed, we worked mon-fri 12-8, and they told us 26mins was the minimum time they could give us
  • ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    These people are parasites.

You know them personally do you?

No one works in a call centre because it's what they always wanted to do, they work in a call centre to put food on the table, a roof over their heads and clothes on their back.

At least they are working for their money, with the way they get treated by their fellow citizens I think they deserve medals for not giving up on life and just going on the dole.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Shizuku wrote: »
    All you have to do is say nicely "sorry not interested, I don't buy things over the phone, please don't call me again as you will be wasting your time, goodbye"
    The rest is unnecessary. You are under no obligation to explain yourself to a stranger.

I just let answerphone pick up.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shizuku wrote: »
    You know them personally do you?

I meant the companies these cold callers work for.

Which you would (or should) have realised, if you actually read the post concerned, instead of going off on your teary little moment....

I posted the following.....
    These people are parasites, the worst offenders being those companies regarding debt relief, and the annoying morons who blather on about Sky warranties, none of whom have traceable numbers.

UNDERSTAND NOW?...
  • ProvenceJaneProvenceJane Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a cold caller repeately called me back like that, I would say " hold on " and I would put the phone down without cutting off and just leave him/her hanging there for 20 minutes.

But I always thought that they were paid by the call and they probably get a bonus if it is a successful call. Why on earth would they waste their time and potential earnings by pestering one clearly disinterested person.

Because it takes all sorts to make a world and there are good and bad employees everywhere. There are also the polite and rational versus the impolite and irrational. Just because this cold calling woman's actions made no sense, it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

OP - I was once cold called by a man with a foreign accent and when I cut into his spiel by saying "no thanks" he shouted at me and called me somthing undeniably insulting in another language. It's always best to be polite but at the end of the day, a cold caller is invading your home and your time and if you're peed off, they should just accept that and leave you alone.
  • qixvixqixvix Posts: 10,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked in a call centre a few years ago, for market research and was always polite, even if the person on the other end was rude as hell - after all, the person making the call has something to gain even if it is just hitting their daily targets

If someone calls me at home I just say, call me back Monday to Friday between 9-5 - because that is when I am at work :D
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    I get phone calls about 3 times a week from some indian call centre, i was nice at first saying not interested, i dont have any debt and asking them to delete me number. This never happens, they just call back asking the same questions. I would ask to be put through to there manager, they cut me off, So now im just rude to them and play them up until they hang up the phone on me. I shout and scream down the phone, ask them if they take it up the bum, if they have a cock and all other random stuff. How many times do they want to keep ringing me before they delete my number.

:D Very good!
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I agree with everything FlyinBrick has said.

I can't stand cold sales calls. I really don't care if they are "just doing their job" or "only putting food on the table". Honestly, I do not care. I no longer speak to them and just hang up once I realise I don't know them. I didn't ask them to phone me at 7pm just as i'm sitting down to dinner. Even at work, I may be waiting for a client to ring me so the last thing I want is telesales. So I guess you can add me to the "couldn't give a ****" gang.:)
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    No more like saying MP3 player manufacturers sound be forced to restrict the decibels of their players to a safe level

I adjust the volume on my phone at work as regularly as I adjust my amp
    You're missing an important distinction. Mens rea. You blowing the whistle is a malicious act using a piece of equipment to perform the act. You are intending to inflict harm.
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I had one I couldn't get rid of, due to some hitherto unknown fault with the telephone system. It was a leisure/holiday company, time shares probably, never did get that far because I used to pull such callers up by saying did they know they had broken the law by cold calling a number registered with the TPS (I refer them to the front of a 'phone book, which explains all). She kept insisting I had given my number to her, so it wasn't a cold call. I'd never heard of the company before.

I hung up, and a minute later did a 1471, but she was still there yabbering on, her arch voice starting to get on my moobs. I told her to hang up and leave me alone, then unplugged the wall socket and put it back in again. But she was still there, getting quite abusive. So I put the phone down and left her to it.

Had BT out the next day to sort it out. I couldn't terminate the sales call. If I'd wanted to phone 999 I'd have had to buy timeshares first.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ribtickle wrote: »
    I had one I couldn't get rid of, due to some hitherto unknown fault with the telephone system. It was a leisure/holiday company, time shares probably, never did get that far because I used to pull such callers up by saying did they know they had broken the law by cold calling a number registered with the TPS (I refer them to the front of a 'phone book, which explains all).

I use that line on the few that call and I pick up, most apologise and end the call. However this week one lady from a window company had the cheek to say that all their calls were screened against the TPS database and I needed to take it up with the TPSl Of course I told her to go away.

Just out of interest I checked the TPS website and my number was still listed.