Marvel, digital comics and the UK

2»

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cyclone5uk wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but you'd have thought they could have at least moved all the issues that were in the Marvel promotion over to a separate (temporary / bigger) server.

That way, even if the promotional content got swamped and went down, at least the rest of their material stays accessible and those not taking part in the promotion don't notice any drop in service.

Apparently, even the DC digital store (which is just a front-end for the DC content available on Comixology) experienced some slow down because of all this.

Possible... I'm not sure who Comixology use for storage but you would've thought something like this had been planned for a bit longer than 5 mins :D Yep, they should've definitely put something into play to cover increased demand.
  • SansomSansom Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Was thinking about using the Comixology app, is it available for the UK? And whats it like reading them on an iPod/iPhone? I would imagine it would be quite difficult on such a small screen.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sansom wrote: »
    Was thinking about using the Comixology app, is it available for the UK? And whats it like reading them on an iPod/iPhone? I would imagine it would be quite difficult on such a small screen.

You can view your comics in panel mode, and tapping/swiping moves you along to the next panel. In that way the panel fits the screen and you are not constantly zooming in and out. The display on the iPod/iPhone is very good so comics look nice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can view your comics in panel mode, and tapping/swiping moves you along to the next panel. In that way the panel fits the screen and you are not constantly zooming in and out. The display on the iPod/iPhone is very good so comics look nice.

Seconded, reading comics on the iPad (and even a Samsung Galaxy S with panel mode) is absolutely fine.
  • SansomSansom Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I got it today, it's quite good although. Should be quite helpful with buying comics as well as I'm not really up to date.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, if you are a Marvel Unlimited user on Android (or in fact on any other platform) you need to download this very nice free app which gives you a far easier way to browse and read the 13,000+ catalogue than Marvel's own ultra-clunky interface.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.irtechsolutions.comicreleases&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5pcnRlY2hzb2x1dGlvbnMuY29taWNyZWxlYXNlcyJd
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    SXTony wrote: »
    However, both of the above formats are unavailable to users in the UK.

The iPad Marvel app seems to work just fine for thousands of comics. If you want to buy.

If not, then the usual sources as mentioned her already provided huge amounts of comic, from very old the bang up to date, which can be viewed using one of the fine freebie viewers in CBR or CBZ format.

All you have to do is your homework. Seek, and ye shall fine. :rolleyes: BTW, all of them look fabulous on a Retina screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iPad Marvel app seems to work just fine for thousands of comics. If you want to buy.

The OP was talking about the state of play of apps like ComiXology in 2010, before it was available over here.

Things have moved on in the 3 years since the OP that you just replied to...
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marvel Unlimited Plus Digital announced:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a510595/marvel-unlimited-plus-digital-service-announced.html

$99 for a year seems like an incredible bargain. Anyone going to bite and test the waters?

EDIT: ah, US only. Hey ho.