How honest are you in friendships?

frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
Forum Member
I've had a rather emotional two weeks with a close friendship. Basically I was not honest how I felt about something, tried to brush it all under the carpet and ignore it, then it all came to a head and we had a fall out (for which I apologised). I wasn't honest because I thought telling the truth would hurt both my friend and I. I am currently receiving therapy over depression and anxiety, which I have had for many years and I find I am extremely emotional and when things get tough I do have suicidal thoughts. :-/

So, are you honest with your friends? Do you find it easy to be honest or is it hard work and like walking a tightrope?

Comments

• swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, that must've been a pretty big elephant you attempted to sweep under the carpet.

I'm fairly honest. It all depends on the context and type of friendship. Sometimes a white lie is best, other times brutal honesty is best. With my very close friends, it is extremely easy to always be honest. I'm so honest with them that it borders on insulting.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't confuse 'honesty' per se with how you feel about something.

You may not especially get on with a friends partner, but what would be the use in saying that if it doesn't affect your relationship with them?

Similarly, you may not like their carpet, but admitting to that isn't really about honesty, more personal taste.

If, however, you've been lying about summat big, such as being a mass murderer, then that's an issue.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am just gonna say it this should be in advice but to answer your question you seem to have a lot more going on here than just the break-up of a friendship.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking about this the other day. I don't think I'm either honest or dis-honest, rather I tell them what they want to hear, which could be the truth or a lie from my p.o.v. If they love their new car, what good would it do if I asked them where they keep the scissors? One of my friends seems to constantly have relationship problems. Sometimes he has a genuine grievance, other times I'll be thinking 'You're a cock if you think that', but I would never say it, because he wouldn't appreciate it and he doesn't want or need me to be his relationship counsellor, he's just sounding off. He may even have twigged that if I remain non-committal on the subject, it means I disagree with him.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    Wow, that must've been a pretty big elephant you attempted to sweep under the carpet.

I'm fairly honest. It all depends on the context and type of friendship. Sometimes a white lie is best, other times brutal honesty is best. With my very close friends, it is extremely easy to always be honest. I'm so honest with them that it borders on insulting.

To most people it wouldn't even register to be honest. My husband thinks it's nothing, but then he's a bloke and he sees things in a very different way.
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    I wouldn't confuse 'honesty' per se with how you feel about something.

You may not especially get on with a friends partner, but what would be the use in saying that if it doesn't affect your relationship with them?

Similarly, you may not like their carpet, but admitting to that isn't really about honesty, more personal taste.

If, however, you've been lying about summat big, such as being a mass murderer, then that's an issue.
    Oh god lord no, nothing like that! It was something trivial but meant a lot to my friend as she felt I let her down and cannot understand why I wasn't honest with her as thats how you should be with friends. Thing is my self-esteem with friendships is so low that I just want everything to be great all the time and so sweep stuff under the carpet.
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    I am just gonna say it this should be in advice but to answer your question you seem to have a lot more going on here than just the break-up of a friendship.

I did think about Advice, but as I really don't want to put what happened out "there" I decided to ask about honesty in friendships as a general thing instead. Whether it's just me that finds it difficult and it's easy for everyone else.:confused:

And as I said, I have anxiety and depression which really makes things difficult, so yes there is a lot more going on, for me at least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been very open and honest, one of the nicest things anyone said about was, WC's great, she will tell it to you straight, but in a lovely way.
    So I don't plan to change anytime soon. People know I will be honest, if they don't want to hear it, they probably don't ask me and go to someone else.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    It can depend on the situation with my best friend if she asks me something sometimes I will tell her what she wants to hear sometimes I will tell her what she needs to hear.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    if i open my mouth i`m totally honest.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be honest all the time, I am still honest I just don't say everything I want to any more, had too many experiences with thins being used against me or spread around I just clam up now and reveal very little in real life.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guarded but I am very honest.
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I used to be honest all the time, I am still honest I just don't say everything I want to any more, had too many experiences with thins being used against me or spread around I just clam up now and reveal very little in real life.

This is the difficulty. I've been told I should've been honest but I've observed that friends wanting honesty are not always honest themselves about feelings or situations, or don't really like the honest response. I'm finding it a minefield, I don't really want to fall out with anyone. I did once and the fall out affected my family hugely so I'm kind of at pains to avoid it.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to stick to fiends who'll be open and mature enough to accept constructive criticism where it's due, but it's not always easy. I have a friend who will happily make 'friends' at parties even though she has a boyfriend. She never oversteps the mark, but she really enjoys skeevy attention from guys and to the opinion of most observers, she leads them on. She insists she's just being friendly, and she is, it just looks like the 'I want what's in your pants' kind of friendly. She reacts very badly if anyone calls her on it though, and as she's my oldest friend I wouldn't want to lose her over something that doesn't affect me too much.
  • Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always keep your guard up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    So, are you honest with your friends? Do you find it easy to be honest or is it hard work and like walking a tightrope?

Honest most of the time, with diplomacy when required.

In other words, I'll tell them if I think the guy/girl they've just started seeing is a a$$hole, but I don't usually feel the need to tell them that their baby looks like an angry pink potato.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    I am guarded but I am very honest.

Same here - but it depends on how close I am to that person and how much I care about them. If I'm not close and aren't that bothered, I'll tell them pretty much what they want to hear, as long as it is still being honest. Most people only want "honesty" if it is flattering to them and doesn't challenge them
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am totally honest but it doesn't mean that I have to tell them everything about my life.

There was a close friend I used to play cricket with. When I criticised another team member he wouldn't say anything. He never said anything bad about anyone. He's gone now.

I aspire to be more like him.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between "honesty" and "over sharing". Sometimes it's not necessary to tell people "everything". Apart from anything else, it can make you present as self absorbed and very needy. Friendship should be about mutual support, not expecting someone to listen to every detail of your life in the name of "honesty".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty honest. I mean I don't lie but I do sometimes soften the truth. i.e. "I think the first pair of jeans were nicer, maybe get them," over "Get the first pair, the second pair make you look fat,"
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here - but it depends on how close I am to that person and how much I care about them. If I'm not close and aren't that bothered, I'll tell them pretty much what they want to hear, as long as it is still being honest. Most people only want "honesty" if it is flattering to them and doesn't challenge them

I am guarded even if they are close to me. I feel alot more safer in an armour suit than to trust another human being. I am honest and do have a tendency to blurt out things.