Anxiety peeps - are you a Highly Sensitive Person?

2»

Comments

• sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always been a nervous person and my anxiety levels have increased dramatically in the last few years. Depression isn't quite so much of a problem, but I can occasionally find myself in that spiral of thinking nothing will ever work out for the best. My anxiety can often get me down, as it affects my ability to cope with everyday things.

Are you easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens nearby?

No, except for the sirens - I always imagine that they might be for someone I love, so that sets my anxiety off.

Do you get rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time?

Yes. To the point that sometimes I end up getting nothing done at all.

Do you make a point of avoiding violent movies and TV shows?

Yes

Do you need to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation?

Sometimes.

Do you make it a high priority to arrange your life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations?

Yes

Do you notice or enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, or works of art?

Not particularly

Do you have a rich and complex inner life?

Yes. My inner life is much more busy and complicated than my outer one!

When you were a child, did your parents or teachers see you as sensitive or shy?

Yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I was hyper sensitive as a kid but my parents approach to this was to basically tell me to toughen up. After you only hear that one piece of advice so many times, you begin to take note and I guess I am now the opposite. People see me as quite a tough person but I am still quite sensitive deep down. I just never let anyone see that side of me.
  • Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    With the exception of needing alone time, I'm the exact opposite of that and yet I have on and off anxiety problems. I think that's why it bothers me so much. That I'm *not* a sensitive person and yet I still have that problem. It feels so out of character for me.

^^^ This
    Only 2 things apply to me in that list and yet i would say i have anxiety issues (maybe not all the time and they have improved over the years but still there at times