Age restrictions on social media - parents allowing kids on?

2»

Comments

• CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosin wrote: »
    So you've said no but you're still worrying for her about what the other kids are doing? I would say you are the problem. My parents would have nipped this in the bud. You can't have the best of both worlds for your child.

I take it you haven't got kids! If only life were that easy as you seem to think. Just because we say "no" to something doesn't mean we switch off and don't question whether we have made the right decision or not. This is most apparent and challenging during the pre and early teenage years when parents often have very different boundaries or opinions on matters and kids exploit this to the full - by throwing it in our face and making us feel we are the bad guys by denying them something etc. They often lie and exaggerate what their friends are doing too.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I see anyone under age on Facebook and Twitter, I would report them and tell them that they actually really under age and are lying.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both of mine opened a facebook when they were 10/11. I found it a very useful tool to find out what their friends were really like, see who they were having any bother with etc. Kids really do show a different side to themselves on facebook so as I parent it's an excellent way of finding out who the little ***** are that you don't want in your house!

Social media is here to stay, may as well go with the flow rather than battle against it. I'd rather let my kids do something and me be a part of it than say no and have them do it behind my back. Any child these days can go ahead and get facebook or whatever on their phone, block the parents and they'll be none the wiser. I'd rather avoid that sort of thing.

Kids these days no more about technology than their parents so my advice is to stay on top of your game, find out whats popular with the kids and join in. Not that I'm saying your daughter would go behind your back frisky but I know loads of kids that do exactly that!

Usually the young kids play a couple of games, post a couple of status updates about what they had for their tea, get bored and hardly use it until they're a teenager anyway.
  • Unknown20Unknown20 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd give you all a quick reminder that people can be blocked on Facebook. To those of you saying that you made your children add you as a friend and it appears that they are no longer using it, it is possible that they've created another account that they've blocked you from. I blocked my mum on Facebook when I was a teenager because I wanted to be cool and my mum kept Embarrasing me.

I'm not saying they have, just be aware that like somebody else said, kids are much smarter than their parents when it comes to technology and the Internet, they are ahead of the game and if they want to keep something from you or anyone, they know how to and will.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    That's an interesting point Unknown20. I guess for some parents who allowed it early, it comes down to trust? In that they trust their kids to be honest and not do what you did?

We had a discussion about why it's age restricted. It's not law or anything, but those that make the product (whether Instagram or FB to whatever) have chosen that age for a reason. For us it's partly maturity for our daughter, but also at age 10 I don't really want her involved too heavily on social media. I use it quite a lot for my home based business, as well as on a personal level, and I see some of the fall outs and stuff from adults and it's not always a pretty sight. Then on the other hand we see people posting up about their "perfect" life, selfies every 5mins, what they ate (nothing, mostly green smoothies). It's very competitive.

I know at some point she'll be on social media, but I'd like her to be a little more confident and mature in herself so she doesn't get too drawn into the negative side of social media. Plus I'm not in any hurry to add fall outs on FB/Instagram, as happened with the others girls in her year, to our lives. There'll no doubt be enough of that when she hits her teens!
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the age set at 13? surely that's just a guideline and is not legally enforceable.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    It is enforceable in the sense that a company can set its own T&C and deregister anyone who contravenes them.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    DadDancer wrote: »
    Why is the age set at 13? surely that's just a guideline and is not legally enforceable.

Yes it is a guideline, no it isn't law. Instagram and other social media chose that age restriction, reasons why given here:
    2. Does Instagram have a minimum age?
    Yes, it’s 13, which is similar to most other online services. But Instagram doesn’t ask users to specify their age, and there are many younger children who use the service, often with their parents’ permission. Whether Instagram is “safe” depends more on how it’s used than on the age of the user, but Instagram will delete underage accounts if they’re notified and can verify that the users are under 13.
    3. What are the risks in using Instagram?
    Although there isn’t anything inherently dangerous about Instagram, the main things parents worry about are typical of all social media: mean behaviour among peers and inappropriate photos or videos that can hurt a child’s reputation or attract the wrong kind of attention. There is also a concern that strangers can contact teens directly. Young people can learn to manage these risks, which is why we’ve written this guide.
    https://fbcdn-dragon-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t39.2365-6/10333106_1523638314575872_694055336_n.pdf