Options

Dispatches - Africa's last taboo

foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What a depressing state of affairs to be in.

2010? Doesn't seem like it for gay people in a lot of african countries!

Comments

• Options
    incisorboyincisorboy Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Indeed. I'm sure we are all guilty of forgetting how lucky we are to live in a (relatively) tolerant society, and then you see what a living nightmare it is for these people, and it just brings it into focus.
  • Options
    MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 minutes in watching it on Channel 4+1 and already my blood is boiling. :mad:
  • Options
    tokio17tokio17 Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    MrBing wrote: »
    5 minutes in watching it on Channel 4+1 and already my blood is boiling. :mad:

I second that! :mad:
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    When I read the description I decided I wasn't even going to watch this programme, its pretty clear what it will be like. I just wonder if that crazed "eat the poo poo" man is on this programme?
  • Options
    MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tokio17 wrote: »
    I second that! :mad:

I'm not gay myself, but one of my very closest friends killed himself because he was gay and his horribly religious family didn't accept it. Then to watch this is so infuriating. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish there had been just one example of a more liberated regime in the programme though!

We were given information about how there is persecution in Kenya, Uganda, and Malawi; but no mention of which nations don't criminalise their gay citizens.

I only know of South Africa where gay sex is legal (if not socially accepted by many), but are there others?
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Gay people aren't treated very well in South Africa either - all the "corrective rapes" that go on there. Don't let SA "liberal" laws fool you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gay people aren't treated very well in South Africa either - all the "corrective rapes" that go on there. Don't let SA "liberal" laws fool you.

That's why I added the part in brackets about social acceptance :)

Pleased to see there is a thread for this programme in GD as well.
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man, that chief of police "Da annoos, is very musacular, and to put sumting in!, You need make it very slippahry!" :D
  • Options
    MartenMarten Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is so sick...

The western world should immediately stop any form of humanitarian aid for countries where homosexuality is illegal. If a country (including many of the people) doesn't accept basic human rights, then they don't deserve support.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man, that chief of police "Da annoos, is very musacular, and to put sumting in!, You need make it very slippahry!" :D

I know !! He knows quite alot about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He knew what he was talking about didn't he?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some ridiculous arguments including the police chief's. Men use their penises to urinate and women have periods. How come no one is screaming straight sex is dirty and unnatural
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    This programme makes me depressed and very angry :( That bishop is an idiot :mad: How can anyone think this way in 2010?
    How come no one said a girl taking it up the.. is unatural?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some ridiculous arguments including the police chief's. Men use their penises to urinate and women have periods. How come no one is screaming straight sex is dirty and unnatural

I think the bible had a bit to say about women when they are on their period?

Plus it was Eve's fault:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit harsh but.......If the West is sooo evil why do hundreds kill themselves coming over to the West in small boats for a 'better life'

F****** double standards
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coming from people who are still unfairly seen as the inferior race by some, I think it's very disgusting and hypocritical that people in Africa have such inhumane views about homosexuality. Ignorance isn't really an excuse as they must surely know what it's like to be unfairly treated by others just because of their natural identity.

That documentary was very shocking! Especially when that man said he would even set his son on fire if he was gay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit harsh but.......If the West is sooo evil why do hundreds kill themselves coming over to the West in small boats for a 'better life'

F****** double standards

Not double standards at all - I don't think the "pastor" is one of those people who has any intention of "coming over to the West in small boats for a 'better life'"

Perhaps some of those people fleeing Uganda etc are gay and in fear for their life?
  • Options
    tokio17tokio17 Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    MrBing wrote: »
    I'm not gay myself, but one of my very closest friends killed himself because he was gay and his horribly religious family didn't accept it. Then to watch this is so infuriating. :(

Well I'm gay and homophobia used to scare me when I was younger but now it justs makes me angry and wan't punch people (not the best reaction and I don't actually carry that out!)

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend though. That's why I hate hatred in all it's forms - no good ever comes of it. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme makes it so clear to me that a secular government is essential for human rights.

It also reinforces the importance of education from a young age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I couldn't believe the people shown held such ridiculous, offensive, backward views :(
  • Options
    Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not just get angry about Africa, here. These type of views are held by most people in the Republican party of the US and related right-wing christian neo-con groups in the US and other parts of the world too. Let's not even talk about the Catholic church...

Basically these out-dated and worrying views are widespread throughout the majority of the world's countries. Don't just demonise Africa. Just be thankful that most of western Europe in particular is far more tolerant and be hopeful that the rest of the world will follow suit sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The white preacher on the programme also spread anti gay views with his "Jesus loves everyone, even those struggling with homosexuality" :rolleyes: Like it was a disease or something :(
    I'm not gay but these outdated views worry me :(
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I didn't watch most of the programme so probably shouldn't comment, but i will. In terms of backwards views, if you were gay in Britain in the 80s, you definately would have heard lots of them.