Options

The Big Bang Theory Season 5 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    It didn't work for me at all. The only memorable gag was Bernadette telling Mrs Wallowitz that Sheldon would go shopping with her.

Also there was hardly any Penny :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    It didn't work for me at all. The only memorable gag was Bernadette telling Mrs Wallowitz that Sheldon would go shopping with her.

Also there was hardly any Penny :mad:

I thought it was OK. There wasn't much Penny, but liked her little part, specially her comment about Stephen Hawking :D

Loved that Bernadette part. Also Sheldon's compliment on Howard was funny :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    the stag party had me laughing so much. Jeepers i'm drunk hahaha

and Rajs stories of him and howard - sooo funny
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    One of the best episodes I can remember that.. Sheldon's and Raj's speeches had me in stitches.
  • Options
    pon farrpon farr Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Yep, good episode, plenty of laugh out loud moments. Have to say that it's always good to see my favourite peripheral character Stuart, always find him humorous.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Stuart, was good to have Will back too. I didn't even mind Kripke in this episode.

When they started on the Stuart being broke and the comic book store not doing well I started wondering if by the end of this series one or all of the boys together will buy it off him. Could quite see them running it. They could keep Stuart on so they can still do their other jobs.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I see a lot of 'Friends' in TBBT Kaylie's Rachel-isms, the 'on/off' relationship of Leonard/Penny (who like Ross and Rachel are also neighbours), Penny's acting ambitions reflecting Joey's acting ambitions, Howard's sarcasm (Chandler), Raj's 'feminine side' (Chandler again).

TBBT is way better than Friends ever was. Yes, the writing can be a little lazy at times, especially the constant returning to the tiresome Leonard and Penny on/off snorefest, and John Galecki (Leonard) becomes more sneering and irritating with each passing episode, but in all other respects it's in a different league.

Ditch Galecki, build up the Stuart part (played superbly by the show's unsung star, Kevin Sussman), and you'll have an all-time classic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    TBBT is way better than Friends ever was.

Agreed, Friends was more embarrassing than amusing half the time.
    Yes, the writing can be a little lazy at times, especially the constant returning to the tiresome Leonard and Penny on/off snorefest.

I disagree. The Leonard and Penny dynamic is essential to the show, if either were to leave I think the series would be finished.

Also watched a repeat of the 'Wyatt' episode a few nights ago where Penny has to pretend she's still in a relationship with Leonard and found it funnier than ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBBT is way better than Friends ever was. Yes, the writing can be a little lazy at times, especially the constant returning to the tiresome Leonard and Penny on/off snorefest, and John Galecki (Leonard) becomes more sneering and irritating with each passing episode, but in all other respects it's in a different league.

Ditch Galecki, build up the Stuart part (played superbly by the show's unsung star, Kevin Sussman), and you'll have an all-time classic.

IMHO, looking at the earlier series of Friends, and TBBT i would say there isnt much between them. Friends went off the boil a bit in the later series, but i thinks we have to wait for TBBT to get to 8 or 9 series to compare, when any series starts to repeat itself, and has to stretch the characters to fit stories.

TBBT really is Friends, but with the twist being they are geeks.

Will they/Wont they couple: Check
    Two interdependent male friends that share a flat, with one that supports the other (Chandler financially supported Joey, Leonard socially supports Sheldon): Check
    Living in flats across the halls: Check.
    Kooky character, where they come out with slightly shocking things to get over that they have another side to them (though in other ways ) Check, and so on.

Thats not to say i don't love the show, as i do.

I think you are totally wrong about Leonard. You need a geek that is less geeky, and more relate-able to the audience than Sheldon, that is also close to Sheldon, to make sure that Sheldon doesnt come over too unlikeable to the audience. Leonards there so that you understand why Sheldon can get away with some of his ways, and to get over the human side of Sheldon (and that actually he has one major weakness, he needs Leonard, otherwise he wouldn't be able to even live, and how much he needs that friendship).
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »

The Leonard and Penny dynamic is essential to the show,

It may seem that way because viewers are used to it, but it's not true, and is simply a lame trap many sitcoms have fallen into, Cheers being one of many examples, with Sam and Rebecca/Dianne. You can almost visualize The Big Bang Theory script meeting, with Chuck Lorre going round the table: "What ya got Bill?" "Not much Chuck." "What ya got Steve?" "Not much Chuck." "What ya got Lee?" Not much Chuck". "Oh well, I guess it's Leonard and Penny again".

If they were told that, if struggling for ideas, they could not fall back on Leonard and Penny, you would see an immediate improvement in script and story quality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Anyone else wondering why they got Wil Wheaton in for about 10 seconds? If they're going to get Wheaton in they need to save him for the continuing dynamic with Sheldon, otherwise it's just a waste and diluting his impact.

Other than that the episode was okay, but the last two series have been gradually getting worse than the first 2/3. Still, better than no Big Bang Theory at all.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the finale was a bit weak tbh, although I had a tear in my eye when they were all saying Howard was their friend at the end.

The wedding was rubbish although when they all said ' we pronounce you husband and wife..m made me smile,

But it was all smiles no laughs, which is disappointing tbh

Friends made me laugh out loud every episode,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The season finalé had me alternately in tears and hysterics, the best finale of any season I can remember.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very average finale for a very average season :(
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked how proud and excited they were for Howard at the end. That was nice.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Me too. Howard often gets the rough end of their friendship, admitedly most of it brought on himself. So it was nice that they all, including Penny were that proud/excited/worried about him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Amen to that. It was such a lovely moment, and they were all holding hands, and bonding together in a way that I havent saw before. It had a great mix of happy moments and funny, was a good balanced finale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My favorite bit was Leonard's sly dig at Penny during the wedding ceremony and the dirty look she gave him for it :D
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the finale a little heavy on the sentimental 'wishy washy' stuff. There was some funny moments in it but It's going a little too 'Friends' like for my liking and I think that's what put me off. There was far too many 'aww' moments from the audience and I didn't like that.

It rounded the series off but imo it was one of the weakest of all the series 5 episodes. I'm really hoping for series 6 (coming in Autumn) we'll lose so much of the cliche rip off's from Friends. I find myself skipping through the Leonard and Penny scenes as they're getting a little repetitive. I miss the old Sheldon, where he was eccentric....not childish.