Options

Someone please recommend me a really strong cheddar!

2»

Comments

• Options
    TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    confuddled wrote: »
    Tickler is lovely, one of the best on the market. full 0f flavour!

If I can't get to M&S, I settle for Tickler from Tesco. It doesn't really compete with Cornish Cruncher, though, in my opinion. I'm with the OP, the stronger, the better!
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    Montgomery cheddar or - not a cheddar, but a deliciously strong hard cheese - Lincolnshire Poacher if you can get hold of it.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Just seen that ALDI are selling Lye Cross Farm Mature Farmhouse Cheddar for £1.99 a pack. It is rated as 6 strength.
    Just had some off this. It's strong and tangy but doesn't have the depth of flavour as the similarly marketed ASDA alternatives.
  • Options
    mavis b sausagemavis b sausage Posts: 3,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M&S Cornish Cruncher (in the black wrapper) is very tasty. Not ultra-mature but really, really tasty. I notice recently a lot of similar sounding cheddars are popping up...
    Second that, lovely stuff. Just treated myself to 2 packets for Christmas:) It's not quite as mature as Montgomery or Keen's but it is superbly consistent and astonishingly well balanced. None of the copycats (yes, tesco, I'm talking to you) can touch it.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    We absolutely love Colliers and rarely buy any other cheese now. We only find it at Tesco and got some just this week. Beautiful strong cheese.

I would second this (best supermarket bought Cheddar) although I love proper cheddar better (the creamery in Sturminster Newton, Dorset cheddars are my favorite)).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isle of Mull is great, pale, strong and a bit crumbly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Black Bomber here. It's gorgeous!