Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would rate t1 and t2 as 10/10

then t3 and salvation as 7/10

so i am hoping this one is enjoyable for me
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Much as I loathe being pedantic, this does grate on me a little...so...

The correct film titles are -

Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3
    Alien : Resurrection

To be even more pedantic, Alien³
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only showing I was free to attend was the 3D one, all other showings on that day were in 2D. Have to be honest, it wasn't used to great effect. I can't recall a scene where I noticed that it was 3D, so I wouldn't bother with it, save your money and go to a 2D showing.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that anyone has mentioned that Arnold Schwarzenegger is not as popular as he once was.

There was a big deal made of it at the time that T3 was his last ever acting role. Yes, he made cameos since then, but he was true to that.

I think Genisys would have been a bigger success if it had been Arnie's first movie back, rather than The Expendables 2 where he was lost in a gigantic cast, or 'The Last Stand' which was generally received and promoted poorly.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I think they made some really glaring errors.

Spoiling the plot twist in the trailer.
    Miscasting John Connor and Kyle Reece.
    Failure to get the alternative time line clearly explained in the plot.
    The fact nothing we saw was original, just rehashing the past four films.
    Poor special effects. How can a film from 2015 have worse effects that Salvation let alone Judgement Day. That really got me.

It was ok until they jumped to the future. Then it went all confusing.
  • TARDIS BlueTARDIS Blue Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it over the weekend and IMO it's not nearly as bad as the reviews would have you believe. It's a better film than the last two, which I didn't think were terrible either, but I am of the majority opinion that there is no beating the first two. Really, we didn't need any more Terminator films after the second one. That and The Terminator come full circle quite nicely.

Nevertheless, TG is enjoyable. I have to agree that the trailer gave too much away which did lessen my enjoyment of the film. I wasn't sure whether I liked the idea of them messing with the events of the original film, but actually it was done quite well. I second the poster who commented on the somewhat underwhelming 3D. It doesn't do the film any justice.

I loved Matt Smith's performance and it was a nice surprise when we found out the identity of his character. It's true that Jai Courtney is no Michael Biehn and Jason Clarke wasn't exactly the film's strongest point either, but I wouldn't say they were a disaster. Emilia Clarke did a good job capturing Sarah Connor's character as we saw her in T2 without being a carbon copy. Arnie pulled off the ageing father figure quite well.

All in all it is worth a watch. Just don't expect it to live up to the first two (although I don't think anybody was expecting that) and you should be okay.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I loathe being pedantic, this does grate on me a little...so...

The correct film titles are -

Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3
    Alien : Resurrection

And together they're a tetralogy not a 'quadrilogy'.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    For about 20 minutes, until they jump into the future it's enjoyable. After that though, it's just garbage. A confused mess of plot holes that seems to be an exercise in jamming as many references to the first two films as possible, regardless of whether it makes any sense whatsoever. For instance:
    How the hell does T-John know the words to Kyle's He can't be bargained with speech?
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Matt Smith's performance and it was a nice surprise when we found out the identity of his character.

What performance? As a hologram? :D He was barely in the film! He was even speaking like his Dr Who character. He was f*cking terrible.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    My favourite bit, weirdly, was the bit when young Sarah was looking up at the T-800 from beneath the decking at the lake in the flashback.

On a side note, it always baffled me why, from Terminator 2 onward, the T-800 hairstyle was the brushed back spiked look, which only came about because in The Terminator, the explosion outside Tech-Noir singed off Arnold's floppy hair and eyebrows.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    How the hell does T-John know the words to Kyle's He can't be bargained with speech?
    I think that was what they call a 'homage' as opposed to an unexplained plot-point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, the film is shit. I wouldn't even know where to begin with what was wrong with it.

I'm sick of nano-robot tech shit that basically means your bad guy is a cloud which just floats around the screen.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    I'm sick of nano-robot tech shit that basically means your bad guy is a cloud which just floats around the screen.

To be fair, that started with The Terminator, so I don't know why you expected anything else.

Skynet has never existed anywhere other than "the cloud", even before we even knew what the cloud was - in fact by giving it a human face in Genisys, it was as close to humanising the enemy as the franchise has ever come.

I enjoyed the film but it could have been so much more. It's a shame because The Terminator franchise should have become more relevant over time rather than less, as what seemed like science-fiction in the earlier films is suddenly a lot more plausible.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    To be fair, that started with The Terminator, so I don't know why you expected anything else.

Skynet has never existed anywhere other than "the cloud", even before we even knew what the cloud was

Since when? :confused:

Terminator 3 changed things so that Skynet was software, existing "everywhere" on the Internet.

But it wasn't like that in T1 and T2, with T2 in particular emphasising that it was a physical computer system. It was networked, but it was still actual hardware using Dyson's chips based on the T-800 CPU, rather than being cloud-based AI software like in T3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. I had low expectations though. I noticed that 2 people walked out and didn't return during the fight scene between John and "Pops" in the hospital. It wasn't that bad :o
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i would rate t1 and t2 as 10/10

then t3 and salvation as 7/10

so i am hoping this one is enjoyable for me

Did you go see it, and what did you think?

I'd agree with those ratings more or less, maybe T1 10/10, T2 9/10, T3 7/10 and T4 8/10.

I'm not really sure why a lot of people rate T3 and T4 so low. I thought they both told interesting and necessary parts of the story - T3 telling how JC survived the nuclear apocalypse and became key in the formation of the resistance, and T4 tells how JC and Kyle Rees meet. For me, this new movie doesn't really extend the story at all, and just rewrites it. I'd have preferred a new movie to have been set in the future and continue the story where T4 left off.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. I had low expectations though. I noticed that 2 people walked out and didn't return during the fight scene between John and "Pops" in the hospital. It wasn't that bad :o

He he. When I watched Mad Max Fury Road a bloke walked out halfway through. :D
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    He he. When I watched Mad Max Fury Road a bloke walked out halfway through. :D

I can only assume his wife was in labour or something because MM is the best action movie I've seen in a long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »

Skynet has never existed anywhere other than "the cloud", even before we even knew what the cloud was - in fact by giving it a human face in Genisys, it was as close to humanising the enemy as the franchise has ever come.
    *facepalm*

I didn't mean 'the cloud' I literally meant a cloud; like a floating mass that shifts and morphs. See also: Fantastic Four 2, Green Lantern, Day the Earth Stood Still

It NEVER works as a villain. There is no satisfaction in watching something like that get it's comeuppance; there's nothing that breaks or bleeds or gets injured. It just swirls around and reforms whilst everyone just stands there agog.
  • TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    And together they're a tetralogy not a 'quadrilogy'.

Good shout Sir. Very impressive.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Asarualim wrote: »
    Did you go see it, and what did you think?

I'd agree with those ratings more or less, maybe T1 10/10, T2 9/10, T3 7/10 and T4 8/10.

I'm not really sure why a lot of people rate T3 and T4 so low. I thought they both told interesting and necessary parts of the story - T3 telling how JC survived the nuclear apocalypse and became key in the formation of the resistance, and T4 tells how JC and Kyle Rees meet. For me, this new movie doesn't really extend the story at all, and just rewrites it. I'd have preferred a new movie to have been set in the future and continue the story where T4 left off.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for T3 but it's not in the same class as the original 2. It's just a tired retread of T2 and is only saved by it's fantastically bleak ending.

T4 is an absolute mess. The whole concept of the film just makes no sense at all. How does skynet know about Kyle Reece at that time? Why is the resistance so well equipped compared to the machines and why does the sodding terminator at the end not just kill JC rather than throwing him around for 10 minutes?
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    KidMoe wrote: »
    I've got a bit of a soft spot for T3 but it's not in the same class as the original 2. It's just a tired retread of T2 and is only saved by it's fantastically bleak ending.

T4 is an absolute mess. The whole concept of the film just makes no sense at all. How does skynet know about Kyle Reece at that time? Why is the resistance so well equipped compared to the machines and why does the sodding terminator at the end not just kill JC rather than throwing him around for 10 minutes?

Wasn't the idea of John Connor being a terminator a plan for Salvation, but rewrites meant that the idea was not followed up. I think Salvation is vastly underrated.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Saw the film yesterday and enjoyed it even though the helicopter off the side of the building scene was just utterly ridiculous.
    Also the last scene with young Kyle just didn't sit right with me as you would of thought his parents would of come running out wanting to know why the three that were involved in all the chaos earlier at the police building were now outside their house talking to their son.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    As a fan of the mighty T1 and T2, all this new movie makes me want to do is watch the originals and avoid the new one like the plague.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    without reading anything about it in here, im taking oldest nephew to see it tom night...can't wait lol