Audacity Software

I have on my Mac Desktop Audacity software for recording/editing. On booting up the Mac the programme loads and I can then access it to record. Once finished and saved, I cannot reload the programme without having to reboot the Mac. Have I missed something? Any thoughts please.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frappy wrote: »
    I have on my Mac Desktop Audacity software for recording/editing. On booting up the Mac the programme loads and I can then access it to record. Once finished and saved, I cannot reload the programme without having to reboot the Mac. Have I missed something? Any thoughts please.

Is it not shown when you click the Launchpad icon on the Dock? It should at the very least be in the Applications folder in Finder.

Also when it is running the Audacity icon should appear in the Dock. If you "right click" on the icon one of the options in the pop up menu should be Keep in Dock (or something like that) which makes the icon stay available in the Dock even if you Quit the application.
  • frappyfrappy Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    It is shown in Finder, the Dock and an Icon on the desktop, but still refuses to load.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right, sounded like you had no icon to restart it.

When you close Audacity does the indicator dot under the Dock icon turn off or is it still showing? If it is still showing right click on the icon and see if it says Quit or Force Quit in the pop up menu.

If it says Force Quit then that might mean Audacity has crashed for some reason. If so try that option and see if that allows you to restart Audacity. It can also be killed from Activity Monitor if necessary.

If that works then the next trick is to work out why it's crashing. It's sort of tempting to suggest the old chestnut of uninstall and re-install :) But very often that does work.
  • frappyfrappy Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I have found a way of loading Audacity after closing it by:
    Force Quit Audacity - Click to clear - then click on Audacity icon in the Dock - and hey presto! it re-opens without having to reboot the pc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frappy wrote: »
    I have found a way of loading Audacity after closing it by:
    Force Quit Audacity - Click to clear - then click on Audacity icon in the Dock - and hey presto! it re-opens without having to reboot the pc.

There should be no need to kill Audacity.

Just had a go on my Macbook (running Yosemite) and notice that if you start Audacity from cold it loads the waveform edit window. You can then open an audio file and play with it as required. If you then close it the edit window closes as well and all you are left with is the desktop and the bare bones of the Audacity menu bar.

If you click anywhere on the desktop the Audacity menu is replaced by the Finder menu. Then click again on the Audacity icon in the dock and all that happens is the Audacity menu bar appears, the edit window does not open until you go to File - Open and select an audio file.

If you Quit Audacity then launch it you do get the edit window appear.

Could this be happening with you? I could see why you might think Audacity wasn't working if you missed the menu bar change and clicked the empty desktop so the Audacity menu then disappeared.