Hypocrite Brand's trendy tops made in Bangladesh sweatshop

ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Millionaire comic sells £60 sweatshirts from workers earning just 25p an hour

Comic claims sweatshirts are 'screen printed and produced in the UK'
In fact label stitched into lining reveals they are made in Bangladesh
Factory staff described working 11-hour shifts for as little as £1.98 a day
Says profits go to good causes, so why is just £1.37 donated from £65 top?
The only 'good cause' Brand will disclose his own cafe in Shoreditch

'By Gethin Chamberlain and Lucy Osborne and Ian Drury for the Daily Mail
Published: 23:38, 5 June 2015 | Updated: 08:21, 6 June 2015

'Russell Brand is selling sweatshirts made in Third World factories by workers earning just 25p an hour, it emerged last night.

The multi-millionaire comedian and self-styled revolutionary claims the company that provides him with the £60 sweatshirts sold on his website is ‘ethical’ and works to the ‘highest environmental standards’.

Brand – who claims to be an anti-capitalist who advocates the overthrow of ‘corporate tyranny’ – also promises customers that all profits from his merchandise go to charity and that he ‘doesn’t make a penny’.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3112824/Hypocrite-Brand-s-trendy-tops-Bangladesh-sweatshop-Millionaire-comic-sells-60-sweatshirts-workers-earning-just-25p-hour.html#ixzz3cOVvDaCa

Comments

• Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical of the Mail to slag Brand off. They get a dig at him whenever they can
    I'm sure he will quickly change suppliers.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

On the one hand the Mail is awful and I'll give it to Brand that it's entirely possible he may not have ever known about this sweatshop so to blame him right off the bat is lazy journalism.

On the other, I loathe Brand and can't believe he's still such a popular public figure. How anyone can find the man himself anything other than a total irritant I'll never know. I also don't understand how the fact that he throws a couple of big words into his sentences now and then means he's so intelligent.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can you not know where your products are made??
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would you know? Unless you study the labels, then you'd have no idea. I couldn't tell you where most of my clothes are made
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Why would you know? Unless you study the labels, then you'd have no idea. I couldn't tell you where most of my clothes are made

You're buying your clothes, not selling them. How can someone selling clothes not know where they are made.
  • Options
    LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's obviously not very pro-active in the production and sourcing of a product that bears his logo and name.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

After the Daily Mail took great delight in finding the sweatshop source of the "feminist" tee-shirts endorsed by Milliband and Clegg, you'dve thought Brand would've made damn sure he couldn't be caught out by them too.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest no one then shops in Primark, Top Shop, BHS etc. They have all been caught out a number of times, the company they use to make their products using child labour.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the one hand the Mail is awful and I'll give it to Brand that it's entirely possible he may not have ever known about this sweatshop so to blame him right off the bat is lazy journalism.

On the other, I loathe Brand and can't believe he's still such a popular public figure. How anyone can find the man himself anything other than a total irritant I'll never know. I also don't understand how the fact that he throws a couple of big words into his sentences now and then means he's so intelligent.

Seconded.

He's running a close second to Andre in the abomination stakes.>:(
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

The scummy Daily Mail tries to paint any celebrity in a bad light that has slated the Conservatives.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy is a Buffoon.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The scummy Daily Mail tries to paint any celebrity in a bad light that has slated the Conservatives.

And they're even worse if the celebrity has slagged the Mail off as well. They'll be on their 'death list' for life.
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member

It happens. And the important thing is he's sorted it. Statement from his website -

June 6, 2015

We found out that a couple of the sizes of sweatshirts we offer may not have been sourced in the ethical way we thought – MADLY the Daily Mail brought this to our attention (snidely) – we’ve responded to em & ironed out a few of their attempts to shit stir. We’ve got shot of the manufacturer so the DM can go back to focusing on their owners dubious tax affairs.

All trews merch profit goes towards building community social enterprise projects.

http://www.russellbrand.com/statement-about-merch/
  • Options
    Forza FerrariForza Ferrari Posts: 7,433
    Forum Member

Oh come on not the we didn’t know defence. There must be some sort of an art to this running or owning a business where you don't know anything about it. So many people are doing it these days.

Further it is one thing to no know how you are doing business when your just making money it is quite different when you are making specific claims about ethical production, where the profits go and charging such a lot of money at the same time.
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    Oh come on not the we didn’t know defence. There must be some sort of an art to this running or owning a business where you don't know anything about it. So many people are doing it these days.

Further it is one thing to no know how you are doing business when your just making money it is quite different when you are making specific claims about ethical production, where the profits go and charging such a lot of money at the same time.

Yep, agree with all that, the responsibility is wholly with the seller and Brand should definitely have kept a stricter eye on the supply chain. Lesson learned, presumably.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I took from this is that The Mail need three people to write an article.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    What I took from this is that The Mail need three people to write an article.

The Mail don't seem to employ journalists anymore, just interns who can't spell but can cut and paste from the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they're even worse if the celebrity has slagged the Mail off as well. They'll be on their 'death list' for life.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. Looks like they'll have some more on their list then. :D
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »
    The guy is a Buffoon.

And a moron to boot. Hooray for the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now the workers are earning 0p per hour, cos their company lost the business. One would have imagined Clever, Caring Russell to have insisted that they be paid more, rather than take their work away, but there one goes.
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Typical of the Daily Mail to use any possible excuse to slag off Russell. The fact that they dedicated three reporters to this story shows just how much they want to bring him down at all costs. Brand has 'dared' to criticize the Daily Mail and now the Daily Mail seem to have launched a crusade to taint the public's opinion of him.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    The guy is a Buffoon.

I like that.

Brand the Buffoon has a certain ring to it.:D
  • Options
    Norn2Norn2 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he addressed it on the trews. he said the company told him that they would be made ethically, so they lied to him basically. he apologised and said he's changing suppliers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norn2 wrote: »
    he addressed it on the trews. he said the company told him that they would be made ethically, so they lied to him basically. he apologised and said he's changing suppliers.

If he's telling the truth, he's done nothing wrong.