Goodnight Sweetheart

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume that was just a bit of a plot hole that they ignored for the sake of the story. I think that train journeys took pretty much the same amount of time as today but I doubt they would have ran during the night.

Especially during wartime, I would have thought. Gary seemed to flit between Liverpool and London (i.e. the 40s and the 90s) several times during the brief night or two he was visiting Phoebe's gran!
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mail and freight trains were running all night during the war. And very little went any other way in the 40s. So maybe he could use his 'spy' background to blag overnight trips?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mail and freight trains were running all night during the war. And very little went any other way in the 40s. So maybe he could use his 'spy' background to blag overnight trips?

Interesting - you'd think that might have been addressed. The whole episode seemed like it was written by someone who had no conception of British geography.
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the whole series was unrealistic anyway, especially near the end, so it doesn't really matter about how Gary got from Liverpool to London and back ect...

if they'd been realistic and made sure Gary couldn't get back in the same night then they'd have no story!

having said that, the episode where Phoebe and Yvonne both wanted to move to California has a similar theme about Gary having to come back to London to use the time warp, maybe there was a time portal over there!! he never checked!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been reported today that Gary Sparrow is coming back - but not on TV. As a stage musical.

The original writers are finalising 'Goodnight Sweetheart' the musical featuring songs from the 40s and 80s. This will include the TV characters and be a story based on the series but no word on casting yet (presumably not the original actors from TV and they would need to sing and dance - though we can hope some might be included somehow!)

Should go on tour later next year.

Marks and Gran are, of course, bringing back Birds of a Feather (on ITV) early in the new year with the original cast. They are also writing a pilot comedy for the BBC starring Paul O'Grady and Cilla Black.

Whilst bringing Goodnight Sweetheart back to TV is not currently planned, the Birds of a Feather return started off as a stage play - so who knows?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been reported today that Gary Sparrow is coming back - but not on TV. As a stage musical.

The original writers are finalising 'Goodnight Sweetheart' the musical featuring songs from the 40s and 80s. This will include the TV characters but no word on casting yet (presumably not the originals from TV and they would need to sing and dance!)

Should go on tour later next year.

Marks and Gran are, of course, bringing back Birds of a Feather (on ITV) early in the new year with the original cast. They are also writing a pilot comedy for the BBC starring Paul O'Grady and Cilla Black.

So, whilst bringing Goodnight Sweetheart back to TV is not currently planned, the Birds of a Feather return started off as a stage play - so who knows?

They've been saying this for years - it is definitely confirmed? I heard it had been shelved about five years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    They've been saying this for years - it is definitely confirmed? I heard it had been shelved about five years ago.

BBC News are reporting it from Marks and Gran supposedly. Long piece about it as it is 20 years since the show started.

Looks as if it might really be happening this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC News are reporting it from Marks and Gran supposedly. Long piece about it as it is 20 years since the show started.

Looks as if it might really be happening this time.

Let's hope so! I can't imagine other people in the main roles, though - especially after we've already swapped the wives. Frankly, I'd rather see a one-off catch-up episode rather than a stage musical - but if it's successful you never know.
  • COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as its going to be a stage musical i wouldn't be surprised after the success of Dreamboats & Petticoats if Bill Kenwright gets involved in it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    as its going to be a stage musical i wouldn't be surprised after the success of Dreamboats & Petticoats if Bill Kenwright gets involved in it

And its follow up Save the last dance for me that was on tour this year, that borrowed a couple of minor ideas from Goodnight, Sweetheart (as they admitted - noting they were going to be in the GS musical when they first planned it several years ago but it was dropped).

Their success with these recent touring musicals and their higher profile on TV thanks to ITVs Birds of a Feather revival and the BBC pilot with Cilla Black must factor into why Goodnight Sweetheart is finally happening.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    the whole series was unrealistic anyway, ....

What?? A series about a time-travelling TV repair man who pretends to be a WWII spy, meets Marie Lloyd, is responsible for the death of Jack the Ripper and saves the life of a UK Prime Minister and you think it unrealistic!:D;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are they up to now would be good.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are they up to now would be good.

You mean a series, or one-off programme, showing Gary, Phoebe, Yvonne and Ron, in the present day and in the equivalent era in the past?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean a series, or one-off programme, showing Gary, Phoebe, Yvonne and Ron, in the present day and in the equivalent era in the past?

A one off special.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about GS as a musical. It could either be very good or very bad.

Love the TV series so much, though. One of the last great traditional sitcoms, and Nicholas Lyndhurst was a joy as Gary Sparrow, who we should hate but can't help but root for. I just can't believe it's been 20 years since the show started. Time for a rewatch of my DVDs, I think! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would really love an update on Garys situation, I highly doubt it will happen though :(
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a crimbo special where the time portal opens up again and he gets to see ron again. don't know why they don't do this
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    a crimbo special where the time portal opens up again and he gets to see ron again. don't know why they don't do this

I wish they would however would it be the Dervla Kirwan/Michelle Holmes versions of the two wives or the Liz Carling/Emma Amos replacements? or a mix of either.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I wish they would however would it be the Dervla Kirwan/Michelle Holmes versions of the two wives or the Liz Carling/Emma Amos replacements? or a mix of either.

i think dervla would return and emma amos. they were the better characters too
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would also like to see that. How long since Gary was lost in the 40s? 15 years from then would find him in the late 50s or early 60s.

Would be fun as a one off. The BBC seem to go through lots of old programmes and go back so maybe one day Goodnight Sweetheart will be in the near future.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With David Jason returning to Open All Hours 28 years on minus Ronnie Barker ANYTHING is possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neonkt1 wrote: »
    I would really love an update on Garys situation, I highly doubt it will happen though :(

The fans would love to see how gary phoebe and Yvon and Ron are doing in the present day.

Just imagine if they did write one where he fell back in present day and met the 2013 wife man he would have alot of explaining to do.

Wasent it hinted by the son that Gary wasent seen for awhile so guessing thats plausable.
  • COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As its been shown on ITV 3 as well as BBC it could be ITV that bring it back if Birds of a Feather is a success
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I would love to see them at least have one episode so we all know what's been going on
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Just finished my rewatch of the whole series, that was an enjoyable couple of weeks!

Preferred the first three series, however after a minor blip with the fourth season, I still enjoyed the final couple of years. It got more ludicrous towards the end, with more people going back and forth, and the portal playing up, but I took that as a sign that things were heading towards the end, which gave the show a little more urgency.

I'd call GS one of the Beeb's last great 'golden age' sit-coms. It sounds cliched but they really don't make them like that any more, and personally I think that's a shame.

The show had a fantastic cast - Nick Lyndurst, it's hard imagining anyone playing that role, but I guess you could say that for Chris Ettridge and Vic Maguire too. Of the cast changes, I must say that whilst I preferred Emma Amos to Michelle Holmes, I never really took to Liza Carling. Much preferred Dirvla.

Really enjoyed the DVDs, particularly the cast interviews. Great that Dirvla did one, a real shame that they couldn't get Nick or Vic to take part though, their omission is glaringly disappointing.

I'd love a follow up, just a one-off special, to see what the various characters were up to would be great. That being said, I really liked how they ended things, with Gary trapped without the chance to say goodbye properly.

All in all I'm so pleased to have this whole series on DVD. I go back to it every 5/6 years or so and it's always such a pleasurable rewatch.