The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heads-up for a programme on TV this week.
    BBC4: Wednesday 10.00pm
    THE FIGHT FOR SATURDAY NIGHT
    Michael Grade tells a tale of skulduggery and dirty dealings as he explores how TV shows battle to win the crown for the best ratings on a Saturday night
    I thought I'd post this as the Saturday Night Ratings War and the hunt for the Next Big Thing in Saturday night television are frequent big discussion points in this thread.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    The BBC's way to getting a higher peak. Ratings mad at the BBC:D. I suspect they know it will be a low average so are going for a strong peak.

As if that would make any difference on here !!! :D
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    X Factor finished 5 minutes early (ended at 22:00, was scheduled to run until 22:05).

As for Mel B, I really hope the rumours aren't true. Between the heavy make-up, lack of wedding ring and no show on Xtra Factor it seems pretty ugly though.

That's not good at all. Hope it's just a rumour.
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »

I thought I'd post this as the Saturday Night Ratings War and the hunt for the Next Big Thing in Saturday night television are frequent big discussion points in this thread.

That seems worth a watch - thanks for info.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Superb tip !

Sounds a great show - must see viewing for The Ratings Thread funny farm. :D
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    In a surprise to no one, SPOTY is overrunning.

And the winner is as suspected. :)
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Definitely the post of the year:D
    :D:D
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    Superb tip !

Sounds a great show - must see viewing for The Ratings Thread funny farm. :D

I hope they dont slag off XF though. :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I hope they dont slag off XF though. :D:D:D
    Not from a narrow minded, subjective, heavily biased or incomplete perspective, at any rate. :)
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember last year this doc was pointed out too us TV fans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been looking forward to this one. It's a story that is dying to be told. And to think that a few year's ago Channel 4 had a programme called Who Killed Saturday Night TV?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Interesting you have to be snide about my terrible spelling!!
    Ack, I give up. The wink smilie should have made it clear that that comment wasn't serious.

You've not even replied to the bulk of the points I made. But I'm the fool as it was inevitable from the outset that I was wasting my time. From what I can gather, you think shows should be immune from criticism if they rate above a certain threshold. That's never been a theory I've subscribed to, I prefer to analyse on a show by show basis and the trends from series to series.

Others will differ in their methods, nobody is right or wrong on that. But pointing out that 9 million is an awful lot of people doesn't really get us anywhere as we knew that before the ratings were released. What is more interesting I think is to look at how that compares to previous series. And on that score it wasn't the best of runs for IAC, but I was quick to acknowledge that an awful lot went against it this series and that it's not a trend unless it repeats next year.

It's not right to say that I focussed purely on the bad aspects of its performances, as, like with The Mill, I acknowledged when it rated well and that's always been my approach with IAC even though - Ant & Dec aside who I think are brilliant at what they do - I'm fairly lukewarm on the show personally, and really dislike how uncompetitive it makes the ratings scene across that 2-3 week stretch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Others will differ in their methods, nobody is right or wrong on that. But pointing out that 9 million is an awful lot of people doesn't really get us anywhere as we knew that before the ratings were released. What is more interesting I think is to look at how that compares to previous series. And on that score it wasn't the best of runs for IAC, but I was quick to acknowledge that an awful lot went against it this series and that it's not a trend unless it repeats next year.
    But nearly every TV show is down year-on-year apart from GBBO which is in its honeymoon phase (approaching, or just reached the peak of its ride), and trends always show that series begin to flag after a finite number of series, usually much less than the 14 that IAC has. IAC has clearly bucked that trend by managing to maintain a 9m+ audience, 10m including +1 in the officials for nearly every episode. Pretty magnificent especially in a year of woeful declines across the board. and even without that impressive retention, nothing grows forever does it?

In fact year on year the 30th November episode was up this year, 10.25m in 2013 to 10.93m inc +1 - obviously not entirely perfect comparison but it does show you its success is commendable, especially in its fourteenth series. I don't even watch the show.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The Football League Show: 773k (13.0%)

Moving to a 9pm slot on C5 next season according to numerous reports on Twitter. Rights sold for £2m a year
    Forum Member
    Not from a narrow minded, subjective, heavily biased or incomplete perspective, at any rate. :)

As if the BBC would ever do that. ;-)
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moving to a 9pm slot on C5 next season according to numerous reports on Twitter. Rights sold for £2m a year

Yes Charles Sale is reporting it too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2873856/BBC-Sport-lose-Football-League-highlights-rights-Channel-5-hammer-blow.html

9.00 is a much better slot clearly, but 2 million per year seems like chickenfeed. The bedrock of BBC football coverage is highlights and it will be quite peculiar if, having actually got some live domestic coverage they proceed to lose all of their highlights. Bit of a merry go round sports rights.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    every TV show is down year-on-year apart from GBBO.

This isn't just directed at you, dearest James, but as a general rant I wish people would stop saying that. It isn't just GBBO - just off the top of my head there's been Sherlock, Death in Paradise, The Voice with hefty year-on-year increases. Okay The Voice had a change in season which helped but it still saw it through, and there'll be more I've forgotten because it's nearly midnight and I'm tired. The Apprentice was also bouncing along nicely until I'm A Celeb came along, after going off the boil in the last couple of years.

There's a general trend downwards yes but there are a number of shows who've bucked that trend so to write a show's downward trend off as meaningless, something which can't be avoided, "because it happens automatically to every show that goes out nowadays" is just rude IMO.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting one this. Bad news for the BBC, it skews young and male as you would expect and I'm sure that's what attracted Channel 5. Bit of a gamble on their part though, it won't be cheap compared to what else they could put in that slot and if it flops where would it go? Still, C5 usually only gets about half a million in that slot so if it gets similar figures to what the FLS gets post-midnight on BBC1 (usually 750k-1m) I guess they'll be happy.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    This isn't just directed at you, dearest James, but as a general rant I wish people would stop saying that. It isn't just GBBO - just off the top of my head there's been Sherlock, Death in Paradise, The Voice with hefty year-on-year increases. Okay The Voice had a change in season which helped but it still saw it through, and there'll be more I've forgotten because it's nearly midnight and I'm tired. The Apprentice was also bouncing along nicely until I'm A Celeb came along, after going off the boil in the last couple of years.

There's a general trend downwards yes but there are a number of shows who've bucked that trend so to write a show being down off as meaningless "because it happens automatically to every show that goes out nowadays" is just rude IMO.

Though the majority of shows that did keep level or see an increase this year aired in quarters one or two. I think the summer of sport has affected TV viewing to an extent.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »

9.00 is a much better slot clearly, but 2 million per year seems like chickenfeed.
    . Pretty sure the BBC are paying literally nothing for the rights currently
    So that's a big increase :D The production costs far outweigh the rights costs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Yes Charles Sale is reporting it too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2873856/BBC-Sport-lose-Football-League-highlights-rights-Channel-5-hammer-blow.html

9.00 is a much better slot clearly, but 2 million per year seems like chickenfeed. The bedrock of BBC football coverage is highlights and it will be quite peculiar if, having actually got some live domestic coverage they proceed to lose all of their highlights. Bit of a merry go round sports rights.
    It'd be a very good pick up for Channel 5, but I wouldn't describe it as a "hammer blow" the way Sale does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »

You can't use The Voice or The Apprentice as examples as they've both aired in better and more stable seasons (away from the warm). And besides, TVUK3 got 8.1m average compared to 7.5m for S2 - hardly a 'hefty' increase considering it moved to January. And the Apprentice last year started in May, this year October. Again not really fair.

Sherlock and Death in Paradise are in the same boat as GBBO, granted. I do take your point there, these 3 shows for sure have bucked this overwhelming trend so you're right it's not just GBBO but it's nearly every other show.
    Fudd wrote: »
    Though the majority of shows that did keep level or see an increase this year aired in quarters one or two. I think the summer of sport has affected TV viewing to an extent.

Agreed here. Am I right in thinking World Cup/major sporting years tend to be disruptive to TV in general?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed here. Am I right in thinking World Cup/major sporting years tend to be disruptive to TV in general?
    Wait until we get a winter World Cup in Qatar (spelling?).
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to this one. It's a story that is dying to be told. And to think that a few year's ago Channel 4 had a programme called Who Killed Saturday Night TV?

In fairness it was in a bad state when they made it, how were they to know SCD, Dr Who and X Factor were just around the corner?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now I wonder if BBC1 are freeing up cash for other sports rights?
This discussion has been closed.