The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Rather than laughing at other people why not contribute something worthwhile yourself?

That would be a miracle :D
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Jenny Cummins ‏@jscummins 5s5 seconds ago
    The final of @TheXFactor 2014 on @ITV hit an audience peak of 10.5 million viewers last night.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite an underwhelming peak. Shows a lot of people watched the whole show at least. I
    Suspect running 8-10pm rather than 7.30-9.30pm might have damaged the peak a bit as the result was announced at 9.50pm which is quite late for a family show on a Sunday. It won't have hit the average in the same way as the wasn't a 7.30pm start to catch people out.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Oh right, I thought it was. Scrap that then. :blush:

No worries perhaps you were thinking of the consolidated figure. I'm sure someone will update us with that if needed :)
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    The final of @TheXFactor 2014 on @ITV hit an audience peak of 10.5 million viewers last night.

Hurray !! I miss Jenny and her peaks. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The spin on heres a bit mad. That was the final for Xfactor and it still couldn't even beat Strictly. Yes it's a decent figure but for a show like the Xfactor to not even get 10mil for a final to me is disappointing.

Considering it didn't get 10m last year and this year its been down each episode, I don't think 10m was really possible. Excluding adverts it would be closer too 10m. But ITV have still got 9m+ over 2hrs.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Last year:
    The X Factor - 9.73m (37.2%), exc. +1 - 9.51m (36.3%)
    Strictly Come Dancing - 9.63m (38.9%)
    Sports Personality of the Year - 5.72m (22.0%)

And the consolidated ratings from last year :)

The X Factor - 10.20m/~10.50m
    Strictly Come Dancing - 10.22m
    Sports Personality of the Year - 5.81m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC has such a strong schedule on Sunday. It never seances to amaze me. Over 6m for 4hrs is pretty good going.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to say Strictly and The X Factor clashed for 15 minutes last year so both being down year-on-year isn't exactly brilliant considering they avoided each other this time around. Especially as Strictly started at an earlier time of 7pm in 2013 whereas it had it's normal start time this year.

Not that a 0.02 decline is bad. But there are circumstances around the 2013 show to explain why the figure was below 10m then.
    Forum Member
    The BBC has such a strong schedule on Sunday. It never seances to amaze me. Over 6m for 4hrs is pretty good going.

seances? I love a good spelling mistake. :)
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »

So it didn't even beat strictly on peak either!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV commissions 13-part epic warrior drama Beowulf

ITV has commissioned thirteen-part drama Beowulf, an epic re-imagining of one of literature’s greatest and most enduring heroes.

Created by James Dormer, Tim Haines and Katie Newman, this action-packed series is set in the mythical Shieldlands, a place of spectacle and danger populated by both humans and fantastical creatures.

Essentially, a western set in the Dark Ages of Britain’s mythic past, the story unfolds on a huge canvas, filmed amongst the breathtaking beauty of England's North East.

The first episode sees Beowulf who, after spending many years wandering as a mercenary warrior, returns to Herot to pay his respects to the recently deceased Thane, Hrothgar - the man who raised him. But when Herot is attacked by the terrifying monster Grendl, Beowulf has no choice but to hunt it down, winning favour with Herot’s new female Thane, and the wider community, in the process.

And so begins a personal journey that sees this mighty and capable man slowly reconnect with the notion of family and home.

Beowulf is a series about courage, greed, betrayal, revenge, loyalty, power, man versus wilderness and, of course love. It is a series that explores the notion of good and evil, heroes and villians. However, beyond these wider political undercurrents and inner personal turmoils are the excitement, danger and sense of adventure that any great Western has. Epic fights, thrilling chases, raids, celebrations and battles are an essential part of the promise.

James Dormer (Strike Back, Wallander, Outcast) who will write and executive produce said:

“Hundreds of years ago our ancestors listened to the story of Beowulf because it was a great adventure story - it scared them, thrilled them, made them laugh and cry. But they also listened because they recognised themselves and their fears in it. By holding a mirror up to them this story helped define them and thus - us. So it’s incredibly exciting to have the opportunity to make it relevant again for a wide audience - to let them own it again. To let them see themselves in it.”

ITV Studios’ Creative Director of Drama Tim Haines (Primeval, Sinbad, Defying Gravity) will executive produce with ITV Studios’ Executive Producer of Drama Katie Newman (Primeval: New World).

Stephen Smallwood (Ripper Street, The Day of the Triffids, DCI Banks) will produce on location in County Durham and Northumberland. The Production's choice to use the spectacular locations available in Durham and Northumberland has been encouraged by the enthusiastic support of the various Councils of the North East.

Beowulf has been commissioned for ITV by Director of Drama Steve November and Controller of Drama Victoria Fea.

“Beowulf is a series with a charismatic protagonist at its heart,” said Steve. “Equally it’s a spirited and fascinating ensemble drama with each character taking their own emotional and sometimes perilous journey. We’re delighted to be commissioning Beowulf and to be working with Tim Haines and his production team,” he added.

Filming will begin in the North East in April 2015 for transmission on ITV. There are no casting details presently.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-commissions-13-part-epic-warrior-drama-beowulf

Another exciting commission. So pleased they are pushing the boat out with some drama that isn't crime related.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be good to see Beowulf become successful. Saturday nights anyone?

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-commissions-13-part-epic-warrior-drama-beowulf
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised that Strictly beat the X Factor final. Has that ever happened before? :eek:

XF really shouldn't be down on last year at all, certainly not for the final. I thought Cowell & Cole were its saviours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Beowulf could be absolutely great.

I hope it does well, as I was concerned the relative failure of Atlantis might put channels off slightly more "out there" drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    seances? I love a good spelling mistake. :)

:blush: I am a good speller so its embarrassing when I spell something wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beowulf could be absolutely great.

I hope it does well, as I was concerned the relative failure of Atlantis might put channels off slightly more "out there" drama.

If Jekyll & Hyde and Beowulf both fail then broadcasters may take a step back from them.

Filming starts in April 2015. Considering this is such a big project I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see this until the autumn of 2016, maybe even the winter of 2017.
    Forum Member

Another exciting commission. So pleased they are pushing the boat out with some drama that isn't crime related.

Cant disagree with that. Its about time they got back into this genre having basically abandoned it for years.
    Forum Member
    :blush: I am a good speller so its embarrassing when I spell something wrong.

I am not good at spelling at all - thank goodness for spell checker I say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    Surprised that Strictly beat the X Factor final. Has that ever happened before? :eek:

XF really shouldn't be down on last year at all, certainly not for the final. I thought Cowell & Cole were its saviours.
    I'm surprised the Strictly peak was higher than X Factor. Last year X Factor was close to 12m.

"@johnplunkett149: #BenHaenow win in the #XFactorFinal watched by 9.1m viewers, 5-min peak of 10.5m, down from 9.6m (11.9m peak) last year"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    If Jekyll & Hyde and Beowulf both fail then broadcasters may take a step back from them.

Filming starts in April 2015. Considering this is such a big project I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see this until the autumn of 2016, maybe even the winter of 2017.

Please God don't let them fail! ITV have had a long history of fantasy drama such as The Prisoner, Space 1999, Sapphire and Steel to name a few. Good to see them back in this genre.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reasonable enough for XF - average higher than I expected, peak lower than I expected.
    And negative spin on this thread about what I expected. :)

Very strong figure and peak for SPOTY. Impressive stuff, particularly the peak. And the Beowulf drama on ITV looks (well, sounds) excellent, though as someone said could take quite a long time to hit the screens.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Really surprised by SPOTY rating, I expected 4.5-5m for that, and that SCD semi final beat TXF final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I'm surprised the Strictly peak was higher than X Factor. Last year X Factor was close to 12m.

"@johnplunkett149: #BenHaenow win in the #XFactorFinal watched by 9.1m viewers, 5-min peak of 10.5m, down from 9.6m (11.9m peak) last year"

I wonder if the later finish damaged the peak? What was SPOTY's peak last year as a comparison? :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I wonder if the later finish damaged the peak? What was SPOTY's peak last year as a comparison? :blush:

8.4m peak last year.

"@johnplunkett149: BBC1's #SportsPersonality of the Year, ave 6m viewers, 5-min peak 8.9m, up from 5.6m ave, peak 8.4m last year"
This discussion has been closed.