Options

Frankie Boyle in hot water over joke

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/04/09/10805/did_frankie_go_too_far_this_time%3F

What do we think about this? Obviously Frankie went a little too far and should have had a better attitude towards the situation and perhaps should have more consideration for the people in question.

(Although I don't think someone like Matthew Horne, who's quoted in the article defending the person who was offended, has any right to call one of Frankie's jokes "rubbish". Bit like the pot calling the kettle black...)

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I have no idea who this person is, but to make jokes out of the most vulnerable of society always comes with a price. Good on the mother I say.
  • Options
    Bang Bang BoomBang Bang Boom Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No i dont think he did... Personally when it comes to jokes i dont think u can say its ok to joke about this but not this.... If people get offended by it tough shit.... Liven up... Igt was intended as a JOKE
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    I know a lot of people love Frankie Boyle but personally I think he confuses being offensive with being funny and assumes the two are the same. I can't watch him without feeling angry and I won't watch Mock the Week because I know that he'll say something horrible. I've even seen once or twice Dara and the others look uncomfortable.
  • Options
    bunnydsbunnyds Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i dont think he did... Personally when it comes to jokes i dont think u can say its ok to joke about this but not this.... If people get offended by it tough shit.... Liven up... Igt was intended as a JOKE

So you think he should broaden his horizons and include a few racist jokes as well?
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again Frankie shows how rubbish a "comedian" he is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate Frankie Boyle. His interview on Chatty Man with Alan Carr was disgusting!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    The woman stated that she knew what to expect at a Frankie Boyle gig, so clearly was happy to laugh at his other close to the bone remarks but only took offence when the joke was against someone close to her - you can't have it both ways.

Having seen Frankie Boyle's DVD, he is an acquired taste and picks on his audience so I wouldn't go to his show if I was sensitive about anything.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to tell whether "Frankie Boyle" is a real person or a character invented by Frankie Boyle. Many other comedians do that: Mark Watson from Bristol became "Mark Watson" from Wales, for example. But is "Frankie" expressing his own opinions or those of certain sectors of society that he's exaggerating for effect?

It seems to me that Frankie Boyle is basically playing the part of a snob but undermining it with a Scots accent instead of an RP one. I'm just not sure if he really believes all that stuff.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of those things I'm not sure about - he's funny as long as what he's talking about isn't something that affects you directly. I kind of think that either you object to his whole act, or you accept it all even when it hurts you personally.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunnyds wrote: »
    So you think he should broaden his horizons and include a few racist jokes as well?
    He did, according to at least one of the comments on the woman's blog.

Edit: Help, I'm in Showbiz! *runs away*
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Why wrote: »
    http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/04/09/10805/did_frankie_go_too_far_this_time%3F

I don't think someone like Matthew Horne, who's quoted in the article defending the person who was offended, has any right to call one of Frankie's jokes "rubbish". Bit like the pot calling the kettle black...

I think Horne was attacking the attitudes seemingly expressed in Boyle's jokes, as much as the quality of humour.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I know a lot of people love Frankie Boyle but personally I think he confuses being offensive with being funny and assumes the two are the same. I can't watch him without feeling angry and I won't watch Mock the Week because I know that he'll say something horrible. I've even seen once or twice Dara and the others look uncomfortable.

You can watch Mock The Week now, he's gone.

I love Frankie Boyle but I think you're right in that he does confuse offensive and funny sometimes.

You can tell by his reaction he knows he was wrong in this case.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Boyle is always controversial, but to make jokes about disabled people is on the same level as racisim in my book. Disgusting. I agree with the FM that suggested he confuses being offensive with being funny.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Once again an attack on a comedian for doing a risqué joke. If you are happy to laugh at everything else Frankie says but complain when it affects you then you have no right to moan.
  • Options
    ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    he truly is the poor man's jim davidson, and that's pretty f*cking poor. and still nicking his jokes off sickipedia i see.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's always been an unfunny, untalented, bigotted ****, masquerading as a 'comedian'. Can't watch anything he infects.:sleep:
  • Options
    LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    I find him uneccessarily cruel sometimes. He can be downright hilarious, but picking on the disabled isn't on. He's coming over as the 21st century equivalent of Bernard Manning, but worse in some respects.

On the other hand, if you're going to a Frankie Boyle gig, you've got to be prepared to be offended. If you're likely to be, don't go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Boyle is an unintelligent person's idea of an 'edgy' or 'subversive' comic when in reality he is a rather limited and horribly predictable comic. Simply trying to think of the most offensive things to say does not make you a funny person. There is no wit, intelligence or thought in his comedy: he is as thoughtless and pathetic as Manning and those 'comics' of yesteryear.
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    i like Frankie Boyle (obviously) as i believe that nothing is off limits when it comes to jokes, gags and humour. i have a daughter and would hate for her to be abused, but i laugh at and make paedo jokes. my mother is registered disabled, but i think disabled jokes are funny. you have to have a laugh, if more people tried it instead of getting all uppity about every single thing then the world would be a better place i say
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    Frankie Boyle is an unintelligent person's idea of an 'edgy' or 'subversive' comic when in reality he is a rather limited and horribly predictable comic. Simply trying to think of the most offensive things to say does not make you a funny person. There is no wit, intelligence or thought in his comedy: he is as thoughtless and pathetic as Manning and those 'comics' of yesteryear.

the rebecca adlington gag was very funny
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guess is that perhaps he was trying to take the stereotypes some people might have about people with Down's Syndrome, and, while expressing them in the assumed guise of an actual holder of these views, trying to exaggerate them in a way that exposes the ridiculousness of the views.

However, he fell into the ever-present trap for ironists: that of being taken seriously.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems quite tame to me. Listen to Derek and Clive. They are a lot worse with their humour.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Once again an attack on a comedian for doing a risqué joke. If you are happy to laugh at everything else Frankie says but complain when it affects you then you have no right to moan.
    I've never laughed at any of his 'jokes'. Also I don't personally need to be afflicted with Down's Syndrome to appreciate the 'joke' isn't hilarious.:yawn:
  • Options
    TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not bigoted. He makes jokes about the disabled, homosexuals, black people, asian people, white people, abortion, soldiers, amputees, people with glasses, gingers, nazi's, women, child abuse, domestic violence....the list goes on.

Key word: Jokes.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand the bloke - always have to switch over when ever he comes on TV