Options

Dog fight, who's right?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Some very good advice has been given on here. Just to add that we've covered the issue of dogs being allowed by their owners to run up to strangers but what if it's a lost/stray dog? Not every dog is accompanied anyway.
    Another reason why it is important to take responsibility for your own animal if it has aggression issues.

Good point, although we don't see strays often there are hundreds and thousands out there, we get a weekly intake of 5, and we still can't take them all, the pounds are full :(
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Most dog on dog problems are caused because of lack of dog socializing with other dogs at a early age, most dogs learn this at first in the litter when they are born. But humans forget to continue this. Humans don't like to see dogs sniffing each other butts. but it is part of the normal part of being a dog. Most the problems that happen are caused by the owners not the animal
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree but those of us who have had rescues don't have that luxury, again a reason why we no longer have rescues I now like to make sure mine are friendly with everyone.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We always put our dogs back on the lead if we see and unleashed dog running towards us unfortunately you can't trust that other dog owners have as much control over their dogs as you have over yours
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Absolutely agree but those of us who have had rescues don't have that luxury, again a reason why we no longer have rescues I now like to make sure mine are friendly with everyone.

Yes taking on a rescue can be very hard work, and you are for ever learning things about the animal you have taken on. And some rescue centres are better than others, at finding things out about the animal before trying to rehome. And also some are better than others at trying to match good and the right home for the animal and new keeper. I found this when I help out at a parrot rescue centre, some of the people who came to recuse a parrot I would not let them look after a plant, same as some of the parrots that came in made you wonder why people had even gone out in the first place and got one.
  • Options
    MandyXZMandyXZ Posts: 86,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid they both were at fault, the OP more so though. The other owner simply had a friendly dog with not very god recall that wanted to say hello. The OP had a dog that is knowingly aggressive to other dogs off lead and therefore under no control at all, which allowed it to get into a fight. The consequences from the OP's dog could have been much worse than the other owner's.

BIB - please don't ever ever throw sticks for your dog, they are incredibly dangerous. Apart from splintering and hurting his mouth, going up his nose or in his eyes, if your dog catches it or picks it up wrong he could impale his throat and suffocate or bleed to death in seconds. Many, many dogs have had serious injuries or a fatal accident from fetching them. Sticks are not safe in any way, shape or form and there are far better, safer alternatives:).

I disagree, the other owner was entirely to blame. You got to understand, not all dogs want to say hello back. I don't want other dogs coming and bounding up to us for whatever reason.

If the other dog is not good on recall then it should be kept on a lead. I get sick of people saying, "oh he/she only want's to play" or "he/she just want's to say hello"... well, sorry but my dog does NOT want to play or say hello back.

Back to the OP, once again he had his dog under control, the other owner didn't. she ignored the OP when he asked her to call her dog back. If she's the type to let her dog wander and roam all over the place and bother's other people's dogs, she's no right to start moaning afterwards if something goes wrong.

Regarding sticks, they are usually long smooth and thick he has hold off but I see your point and it's mainly the frisbee he's playing with.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not going to comment on the 'rights and wrongs' in this case as much of the opinions have already been expressed and I can see it from different points of view. What does annoy me are dog owners who are generally panicky around other dogs and their owners. I can fully understand this if there has been a bad experience but a lot of people take on dogs without understanding anything of their psychology and assume that dogs think and behave in exactly the same way as humans. Of course they have similar instincts but they cannot rationalise in the same way as people. If a dog owner is anxious or panicky, their dog(s) can often 'read' this and might behave accordingly. Whether on or off the lead, this can cause problems. If an incident breaks out, dog owners often exacerbate it by yelling and carrying on, instead of trying to stay calm. If your dog is being badly attacked, that is a natural response but people often get into a state before anything 'serious' has actually happened.

Our dogs look to us for guidance and if they see the anger or fear response in us, it's hardly surprising if they react to that in a negative way. Of course, you've got to factor in a dog's personality and background but many situations can be defused by dog owners trying to remain calm when an 'incident' might be in the offing. It's often the case where dog owners end up yelling at each other about who is to 'blame' when things happen. Sometimes, this is clear cut but there are occasions where it is six of one and half a dozen of the other and it serves no purpose, arguing the toss. As long as the dogs are ok, that's what matters. They've probably forgotten about it long before their owners have cooled down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MandyXZ wrote: »
    I disagree, the other owner was entirely to blame. You got to understand, not all dogs want to say hello back. I don't want other dogs coming and bounding up to us for whatever reason.

If the other dog is not good on recall then it should be kept on a lead. I get sick of people saying, "oh he/she only want's to play" or "he/she just want's to say hello"... well, sorry but my dog does NOT want to play or say hello back.

Back to the OP, once again he had his dog under control, the other owner didn't. she ignored the OP when he asked her to call her dog back. If she's the type to let her dog wander and roam all over the place and bother's other people's dogs, she's no right to start moaning afterwards if something goes wrong.

Regarding sticks, they are usually long smooth and thick he has hold off but I see your point and it's mainly the frisbee he's playing with.

I would have agreed if the OPs dog had been on a lead, if the OP had maintained control, I had many dogs approach us when I had aggressive dogs none ever got so close they could get hurt because I got between my dog and the approaching friendly dog. Off lead I couldn't have done that as the OP found which caused the aggressing dog to start the fight.

I doubt the friendly dog actually started the aggressing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Not going to comment on the 'rights and wrongs' in this case as much of the opinions have already been expressed and I can see it from different points of view. What does annoy me are dog owners who are generally panicky around other dogs and their owners. I can fully understand this if there has been a bad experience but a lot of people take on dogs without understanding anything of their psychology and assume that dogs think and behave in exactly the same way as humans. Of course they have similar instincts but they cannot rationalise in the same way as people. If a dog owner is anxious or panicky, their dog(s) can often 'read' this and might behave accordingly. Whether on or off the lead, this can cause problems. If an incident breaks out, dog owners often exacerbate it by yelling and carrying on, instead of trying to stay calm. If your dog is being badly attacked, that is a natural response but people often get into a state before anything 'serious' has actually happened.

Our dogs look to us for guidance and if they see the anger or fear response in us, it's hardly surprising if they react to that in a negative way. Of course, you've got to factor in a dog's personality and background but many situations can be defused by dog owners trying to remain calm when an 'incident' might be in the offing. It's often the case where dog owners end up yelling at each other about who is to 'blame' when things happen. Sometimes, this is clear cut but there are occasions where it is six of one and half a dozen of the other and it serves no purpose, arguing the toss. As long as the dogs are ok, that's what matters. They've probably forgotten about it long before their owners have cooled down.

It's easier said than done I will admit I panic these days, having seen a huge dog bring my old peaceful girl down and try to kill her when she was submitting has made me much less likely to be calm if a big dog approaches. I pick my tiny one up and try to keep my bigger old girl behind me to protect her until I am sure all is OK. When we were surround the other day by 5 dogs off lead I did a lot of yelling and demanding they be called away. Poor Mollie has never recovered from the attack and neither have I.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You were both wrong really but I wouldn't worry too much about it, both dogs are ok now and that's all that matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have agreed if the OPs dog had been on a lead, if the OP had maintained control, I had many dogs approach us when I had aggressive dogs none ever got so close they could get hurt because I got between my dog and the approaching friendly dog. Off lead I couldn't have done that as the OP found which caused the aggressing dog to start the fight.

I doubt the friendly dog actually started the aggressing.

There would have been no fight if the other owner had called her dog back.

Fights can still occur even when the aggressive dog is on the lead if another dog approaches them. Many months ago my dog was on a lead, we were playing a silly game with the leaves on the ground, suddenly another dog came right up to us and before I knew it, a fight broke out. If the owners had paid more attention to what their dog was up to, that fight would never have happened.

Wouldn't it be great if everybody was nice to each other and the world was a wonderful place to live in without aggressiveness and nastiness etc. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world, we have nice friendly people, we have not so nice friendly people. We try to the best of our ability to keep our kiddies safe and protect them from the big bad world out there.

The same applies with dogs. we would all love to have nice friendly dogs but we don't, some are friendly, some are not.
    So what we do is take caution. (or should) If people want to keep their friendly dog safe, then they should keep them away from other dogs they are not sure about. I would put my dog under the unfriendly category but he never bounds up to other dogs and their owners (I won't allow it), he's not interested in anything but me and his frisbee....and diving into filthy pools.

As I said before, I make every effort to keep my distance and away from other dogs, if other people can't be arse doing the same, then don't come whinging if their dog gets hurt.
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There would have been no fight if the other owner had called her dog back.

Fights can still occur even when the aggressive dog is on the lead if another dog approaches them. Many months ago my dog was on a lead, we were playing a silly game with the leaves on the ground, suddenly another dog came right up to us and before I knew it, a fight broke out. If the owners had paid more attention to what their dog was up to, that fight would never have happened.

Wouldn't it be great if everybody was nice to each other and the world was a wonderful place to live in without aggressiveness and nastiness etc. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world, we have nice friendly people, we have not so nice friendly people. We try to the best of our ability to keep our kiddies safe and protect them from the big bad world out there.

The same applies with dogs. we would all love to have nice friendly dogs but we don't, some are friendly, some are not.
    So what we do is take caution. (or should) If people want to keep their friendly dog safe, then they should keep them away from other dogs they are not sure about. I would put my dog under the unfriendly category but he never bounds up to other dogs and their owners (I won't allow it), he's not interested in anything but me and his frisbee....and diving into filthy pools.

As I said before, I make every effort to keep my distance and away from other dogs, if other people can't be arse doing the same, then don't come whinging if their dog gets hurt.

This is pretty much my thoughts and what I was trying to get across... My dog never approaches others either, like yours he's just not interested!
    Whilst I have no objection to leashing my dog, he has still been approached and attacked when on the leash... So it seems the leash has little or no consequence to him as long as other peoples dogs are allowed to bound up to strangers. Maybe all dogs should be leashed in public at least my dog is trained to stay at heel and is never allowed to approach others, I would never let him run at a dog less person either just incase that person is afraid or doesn't like dogs.
    I love my dog but don't expect others to even like him:)
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    You were both wrong really but I wouldn't worry too much about it, both dogs are ok now and that's all that matters.
    I agree.

The OP's dog should have been on a lead (and maybe muzzled if it's known to be aggressive with other dogs), but the other person involved shouldn't have allowed their dog to run over to the OP's dog. One of my dogs sometimes growls at other dogs when he's on his lead, so he's muzzled on walks because I'd rather be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a worry. My Vizsla was very very docile and loved people and other dogs. All she wanted to do was play (her brother, a Springer isn't a player). But about 6 months ago she was in our front garden having a wee before bed. The next door neighbours dog was suddenly let out of their house and my dog went to the dividing wall to say hello - and it bit her on the eye. Luckily the bite was on her eyelid and healed nicely on its own, but now she very nervous of other dogs.

I keep her on a lead unless we are in an area where we can see for miles and can see no other people / dogs in view.

Personally I would say that all dogs that are likely to see others should be on leads. You never know how dogs will react when they meet - no matter how docile yours is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps because the other person saw this dog off lead they wrongly obviously assumed it was friendly. I must say if I see a dog off lead I tend to think it must be OK as no one would allow a DA dog off lead around other dogs.

Which was a main reason I used to keep my DA dogs on leads even though they were far more aggressive on lead than off. At least people could see they were on lead and keep theirs away from mine.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

we got a couple of these for our dogs - well worth the money even if we do get the occasional odd look

http://www.safestix.co.uk/products/
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had this problem a few hours ago.Walked my dog across a field on the leash and a bloke's dog ran at mine from about half a field away .It just dived straight on mine biting his neck .I kicked it in the ribs ( I intended to do damage seeing as I was wearing steel caps because I'd just finished work )but it didn't flicker .So I let go of the leash and let my dog deck it and pin it to the floor by the throat .Result,one bleeding boxer and an angry owner who I hope has learnt a lesson .To his credit he did take all of the blame for having his dog out of control .I just hope he's insured because the cuts looked a bit nasty .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps because the other person saw this dog off lead they wrongly obviously assumed it was friendly. I must say if I see a dog off lead I tend to think it must be OK as no one would allow a DA dog off lead around other dogs.

Which was a main reason I used to keep my DA dogs on leads even though they were far more aggressive on lead than off. At least people could see they were on lead and keep theirs away from mine.

But as I said before, I was walking away from them with her at my left and my dog tight to my right leg... She was so far away I doubt seriously whether she could have seen wether he was leashed or not, given that theory surely she would assume it was leashed and call hers back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    Just had this problem a few hours ago.Walked my dog across a field on the leash and a bloke's dog ran at mine from about half a field away .It just dived straight on mine biting his neck .I kicked it in the ribs ( I intended to do damage seeing as I was wearing steel caps because I'd just finished work )but it didn't flicker .So I let go of the leash and let my dog deck it and pin it to the floor by the throat .Result,one bleeding boxer and an angry owner who I hope has learnt a lesson .To his credit he did take all of the blame for having his dog out of control .I just hope he's insured because the cuts looked a bit nasty .

I would let go of the leash too as advised by the trainer we used way back.
    That's why the leash argument is shaky here IMHO. My dog doesn't wander he is at heel so even if he was on the lead I would drop it if a fight ensued under the circumstances I wrote about.
    The issue of wandering dogs approaching him is still a potential either way and the lead would be dropped... I'd be happy to leash him at all times if others did the same.... Perhaps that's the answer, compulsory use of lead outdoors.
  • Options
    SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    From what ive read you and Sid were not in the wrong,the other moron and her dog were,simples x
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    we got a couple of these for our dogs - well worth the money even if we do get the occasional odd look

:D I've seen those and thought they look rather, er, suggestive, I'd look like the embarrassed smiley if I took it outside:D:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really a good idea to just assume anything when it comes to dogs.
    Also, makes no difference whether my dog is on or off lead, dogs will still come. Some irresponsible owners don't keep them away.

Anybody who has an unleash dog in a public park or open field needs to train their dog the recall command, it's one of the most important commands a dog needs to learn when they are out. Plus, dog owners need to show respect to other dog users...not everyone want's other people's dogs coming up to them and interfering with their dog activities when out in the park/field, however friendly they are.

welwynrose wrote: »

Hey they look alright, Yes my dog loves his frisbee but they don't last long. I'm going through frisbees like you would with hot dinners. :D

Thanks for that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    It is a worry. My Vizsla was very very docile and loved people and other dogs. All she wanted to do was play (her brother, a Springer isn't a player). But about 6 months ago she was in our front garden having a wee before bed. The next door neighbours dog was suddenly let out of their house and my dog went to the dividing wall to say hello - and it bit her on the eye. Luckily the bite was on her eyelid and healed nicely on its own, but now she very nervous of other dogs.

I keep her on a lead unless we are in an area where we can see for miles and can see no other people / dogs in view.

Personally I would say that all dogs that are likely to see others should be on leads. You never know how dogs will react when they meet - no matter how docile yours is.
    Not really a good idea to just assume anything when it comes to dogs.
    Also, makes no difference whether my dog is on or off lead, dogs will still come. Some irresponsible owners don't keep them away.

Anybody who has an unleash dog in a public park or open field needs to train their dog the recall command, it's one of the most important commands a dog needs to learn when they are out. Plus, dog owners need to show respect to other dog users...not everyone want's other people's dogs coming up to them and interfering with their dog activities when out in the park/field, however friendly they are.

Hey they look alright, Yes my dog loves his frisbee but they don't last long. I'm going through frisbees like you would with hot dinners. :D

Thanks for that. :)

Well sometimes assuming is all we have to go on I have to say perhaps I walk in a different area to everyone else because if a dog is on a short lead we all keep our dogs away from it, log lead we shout can they say hello, and no lead we assume they are either going to ignore us or come and say hello.

Works fine round here.

Personally I never let mine off lead as recall isn't the best and I think that should be the norm with everyone.
    But I also think it should be against the law to have an aggressive dog off lead. I don't care how much control anyone thinks they have over it, only needs one mistake and you have a fight or attack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well sometimes assuming is all we have to go on I have to say perhaps I walk in a different area to everyone else because if a dog is on a short lead we all keep our dogs away from it, log lead we shout can they say hello, and no lead we assume they are either going to ignore us or come and say hello.

Works fine round here.

Personally I never let mine off lead as recall isn't the best and I think that should be the norm with everyone.
    But I also think it should be against the law to have an aggressive dog off lead. I don't care how much control anyone thinks they have over it, only needs one mistake and you have a fight or attack.

You seemed to have ignored the parts were myself and the OP have said that when both our dogs have been on the lead, an unleashed dog has wandered up to us and a fight has broken out.

Therefore your argument with this lead thing kinda falls flat, don't you think? (Fights can still happen and has happened when aggressive dogs are on the lead)

All unleashed dogs, (friendly or otherwise) in a public park or field should be kept under control.

It's wrong for people to think just because they have a friendly dog, it can do what it likes. There are other people to consider. Not everyone wants their friendly dog coming up to them for whatever reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member

Works fine round here.

Complete agree mollie. Dogs need socialisation and the park is the best place to do that - that's why the universal accepted method is- off lead, friendly, long line, check with the owner, short lead, stay away. This is also where the yellow ribbon comes in handy.
    You seemed to have ignored the parts were myself and the OP have said that when both our dogs have been on the lead, an unleashed dog has wandered up to us and a fight has broken out.

Therefore your argument with this lead thing kinda falls flat, don't you think? (Fights can still happen and has happened when aggressive dogs are on the lead)

All unleashed dogs, (friendly or otherwise) in a public park or field should be kept under control.

It's wrong for people to think just because they have a friendly dog, it can do what it likes. There are other people to consider. Not everyone wants their friendly dog coming up to them for whatever reason.

You also seemed to have ignored the parts where many of us said that if your dog is on lead and another comes up and causes a fight then you have the moral, and legal, high ground. Nobody is saying that it is acceptable for uncontrollable dogs to be off lead, but it is a fact of dog walking and just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can ignore all sensible notions and let your dog reactive dog do what ever he wants. As above, most people (whether you agree with it or not) presume that an off lead dog in a dog park is friendly, so knowing that any owner of a dog to dog aggressive dog should take precautions, be that muzzling or keeping on a lead.

Dogs are still seen in law as property, and if your dog attacks you can be charged with offences related to property damage as well as issues under the dangerous dogs act. If you had your dog on lead and the other one causes the issue then you can argue that you did everything you could (although a better argument would be a yellow ribbon and a muzzle) but if your dog is off lead and has a history then you'll have no defence and the likelihood is that if the fight is serious enough your dog maybe be held in a pound until the court date and then euthanised. Why risk it, just to prove a point to stupid, irresponsible dog owners that don't have control of thier dogs?
    You will always come across plonkers that let thier dog come up to yours, even when he's on lead (I'd recommend a yellow ribbon too) and in which case, all you can do is your best to prevent a fight, if it happens at least you've done everything right. I don't disagree that a lot of owners are irresponsible, letting the dog go, ignoring it, thinking that counts as exercise, but that doesn't automatically mean it's ok for those who know they have problem dogs to let theirs off lead unmuzzled too. My dogs go to the same park at the same time every day, they are off lead, meet the same dogs and they play together through out that time other dogs come and join in, the move on - it is presumed that any dog that is off lead and who comes to join the melee is friendly, and most of the owners stand together and watch the fun- that is the fun of the dog park for my dogs, putting them on lead because someone won't control thier problem dog is not fair.