O holy night

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
Forum Member
Don't often post but felt the need to after Andrea's mess of O holy night. Sadly his fantastic voice is constantly over-shadowed by adding extra notes and trills. It can be sung big by a man, check out this version by Michael Crawford
"O Holy Night" - Michael Crawford W/Trans-Siberia…: http://youtu.be/nNJiSfz0_io

Disappointing as it could of been a winning performance for him

Comments

• mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed
  • od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    raywil1 wrote: »
    Don't often post but felt the need to after Andrea's mess of O holy night. Sadly his fantastic voice is constantly over-shadowed by adding extra notes and trills. It can be sung big by a man, check out this version by Michael Crawford
    "O Holy Night" - Michael Crawford W/Trans-Siberia…: http://youtu.be/nNJiSfz0_io

Disappointing as it could of been a winning performance for him

Have course it could of.
  • CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mentors? They should be shot. That performance from Andrea of Oh Holy Night was an attempt to totally undermine him. He doesn't have the vocal for a beautiful Christmas Carol like that.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was awful ☹
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was such a shame that Andrea added all the twirls and trills to a lovely Christmas carol like Oh Holy Night. He could have sang it so much better than he did.

One of the stand out moments of any series of the X Factor for me was when Rhydian sang Oh Holy Night in the final in 2007. He sang it perfectly and with such conviction.

I don't know who's idea it was for Andrea to sing it like that, but whoever it was has done him no favours.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Lovely tone and beautiful performance from him...a little italian added in would have made it even more magical
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CARA2000 wrote: »
    Mentors? They should be shot. That performance from Andrea of Oh Holy Night was an attempt to totally undermine him. He doesn't have the vocal for a beautiful Christmas Carol like that.

They did not undermine him. He sings all his songs like that. It was his impression of Mariah Carey singing it. It was awful. Really awful.
  • JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    They did not undermine him. He sings all his songs like that. It was his impression of Mariah Carey singing it. It was awful. Really awful.

Totally agree, he murdered a beautiful song. >:(>:(>:(
  • Karen_McAulayKaren_McAulay Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    It was such a shame that Andrea added all the twirls and trills to a lovely Christmas carol like Oh Holy Night. He could have sang it so much better than he did.

One of the stand out moments of any series of the X Factor for me was when Rhydian sang Oh Holy Night in the final in 2007. He sang it perfectly and with such conviction.

I don't know who's idea it was for Andrea to sing it like that, but whoever it was has done him no favours.

Completely agree, Rhydian's version was amazing. Andreas I'm bored with, nothing different from him and his pronounciation is terrible
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    They really need him to stop leaning forward, gurning into the mic to produce that really forced sounding gritty voice. Surely that is not good for his voice - yet week after week we keep getting it. Annoyingly I thought the middle part of the song was going well until it got bigger and he feel back into his old habits!
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a very poor interpretation of the song. Too many tricks and flicks to hide the fact that he hasn't got the technique to sing it properly.

It is one of my favourite pieces of music (not just for this time of year) - a beautiful melody. But it is really difficult to sing well.

And he really didn't. Not even close.
  • dia6olodia6olo Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Simon he loved it! You can't have it both ways!
    Everybody's quick to quote Simon's comments when it suits their agenda!!!
  • delzdelz Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounded perfect to my ears!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He gave it the hairdryer diva treatment....sigh
    Andrea just can't adapt his voice it seems.
  • dayzeeedayzeee Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have liked to hear Lauren singing it. It would have been lovely.
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,151
    Forum Member
    The benchmark on TXF has and always will be the performance by Andy Abraham. No-one has ever come close (not even Rhydian). It was truly stunning. Sadly it's not on youtube but, I can remember watching it with tears rolling down my face. :blush:
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Thought it was the best of the night by far.
  • jock_fjock_f Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Laura* wrote: »
    The benchmark on TXF has always will been the performance by Andy Abraham. No-one has ever come close (not even Rhydian). It was truly stunning. Sadly it's not on youtube but, I can remember watching it with tears rolling down my face. :blush:

It's available on itunes, though not the live xfactor version but the 2009 christmas single.:)
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,151
    Forum Member
    jock_f wrote: »
    It's available on itunes, though not the live xfactor version but the 2009 christmas single.:)

Thank you. :)
  • stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was the worst version i have ever heard of that beautiful xmas song.

its not a pop song, its a a beautiful xmas hymn/carol to be sung with emotion, passion and power to be able to reach those stunning high notes, he never hit one of them or even tried too, it was a total mess from start to finish . Too many trills and taking the notes for walk as i like to call it that type of vocal, no melody at all, what a disaster.

im not a fan of Andreas voice at all but to give him this song and to mess around with it was a train wreck , wont be surprise if he is out tonight .
  • CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stargirl 2 wrote: »
    it was the worst version i have ever heard of that beautiful xmas song.

its not a pop song, its a a beautiful xmas hymn/carol to be sung with emotion, passion and power to be able to reach those stunning high notes, he never hit one of them or even tried too, it was a total mess from start to finish . Too many trills and taking the notes for walk as i like to call it that type of vocal, no melody at all, what a disaster.

im not a fan of Andreas voice at all but to give him this song and to mess around with it was a train wreck , wont be surprise if he is out tonight .

That was the whole point. To get him out.

At least two former XF contestants have done this beautiful carol amazingly and Herr Scowell knows it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Andrea is suffering from a lack of guidance, someone needs to tell him to reel it a little bit. That, and Scowell wants him gone.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    He ruined it like everything else by warbling so bloody much. Oh Holy Night is a favourite of mine...but not his version.
  • JavarnJohnsonJavarnJohnson Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He really needs to learn that, sometimes, less is more. The way he oversings songs has the potential to make them sound really unpleasant. O Holy Night could have been amazing, but he ruined it by trying too hard, and this isn't the first time he's done that.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Laura* wrote: »
    The benchmark on TXF has and always will be the performance by Andy Abraham. No-one has ever come close (not even Rhydian). It was truly stunning. Sadly it's not on youtube but, I can remember watching it with tears rolling down my face. :blush:

The difference is that Andy has a really nice tone to his voice and completely understands when less is more.

Andrea oversings every single song and it's just all too much. He couldn't do subtle if you held a gun to his head.