Options

Steam Holiday Sale!

sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
Forum Member
✭✭
What's everyone got or looking to get then? :D It's going to take a while to look through everything first so nothing for me yet.

They seem to have changed a couple of things from recent big sales. Community choice flash sales appear to be once every 24 hours instead of every 8 hours. Also, for those who collect the sale-themed winter trading cards - there's no special in-game items that come for crafting them like there was in last winter's and this past summer's sale.

Comments

• Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never sure why people collect the cards, I just flog them for 10 or 12p each, am I doing something wrong?

Dark Souls II and Rome II look good prices if you're into that sort of thing, Sniper Elite 3 can be had for half the steam sale price from resellers though.

Not buying anything day 1, but quite happy with the contents of the Squenix Christmas Surprise today anyway (Thief, Murdered: Soul Suspect, The Last Remnant, Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light, Deus Ex - The Fall & Nosgoth Founders - Warlord Pack... all for a fiver).
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I havn't reinstalled it yet, on my new rig, so i can't be tempted, got too many games on there now that need playing :D
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Flight Simulator X is tempting at a 80% discount..................
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been playing Civ 5 again after a long break, so happy to see the expansion packs are 75% off. Picked up Brave New World dlc for under a fiver. Seems from the reviews it changes the game for the better.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dipped my toes into the pool with GEARCRACK Arena, at a wopping 7p. There's no stopping me now!
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    A little let down by Steam's new Region rules, used to be able to gift games to a lot of friends, but now because some arn't in the same "Region Tier" I can't send games their way anymore.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just acquired a GTX980, so I'm looking for some gaming goodness on PC, will check out what's available when I get home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Broke my duck with Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Trucking Fan DLC Bundle for £1.49 so I can pimp my ride with some snazzy paint jobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steam on now, and getting tempted, sigh :(

:D

Hope Wolfie New Order drops a bit lower than £17.49.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Broke my duck with Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Trucking Fan DLC Bundle for £1.49 so I can pimp my ride with some snazzy paint jobs.

I was tempted by that, downloaded the Demo to have a play and kept crashing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A heads up for Steam users, taken from another forum.
    Hi

I am CM Mackem on Steam, and yesterday my Steam account was hacked by clicking on a "WTF???" and a link(do not click on link) message from a very good Steam friend(Who had also been hacked).

It does not take over your account but rather empties out your inventory. Luckily I installed Malwarebytes in time and nothing was removed.

Once your account has been infiltrated, it also sends the WTF??? message + link to all your friends on Steam.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused. My account is back to normal.

Please be careful, it bypasses Steam Guard!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't happen to me, I don't trust any of you lot :)

Also, for those consequences to happen,it's not just a case of clicking 1 link. You have to click several. This oversensationilization (****ing hell) of '1 click in chat and boom' is wrong and isn't helpful. You need to click 4 more things iirc for it to do it's work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had an attempt on my account once. They left a comment on my profile page that said "Care to explain this?" and then there was a link.

More of a phisihing attempt, but another common one I've heard of is people saying their friend wanted to trade with you but he can't add you, please click this link to add him. You then get directed to a site that looks like it's Steam but isn't and it's asking you to log in so they can steal your username/password. The link will be to steamcormunity.com or steamcomnunity.com etc. instead of steamcommunity.com and they hope you don't notice.

Edit: Make sure Steam guard is on, just in case and that your email password is different to your Steam one!
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Never had anything on my account (not noticed anything) I did buy the flight simulator in the sale yesterday (couldn't resist at 3.99)
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Never had anything on my account (not noticed anything) I did buy the flight simulator in the sale yesterday (couldn't resist at 3.99)

Same. Its a blast, tfhe graphics could do with an update lol
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't get Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl to work, totally gutted was looking forward to this.

No mouse pointer, all I can do is go up and down at the menu screen with the arrows :(
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walking Dead - Season 2 for £4.74 seems a bargain today.

Might go for Saints Row IV as well, never played on console, and have now got the telly as a second screen for the PC for Big Picture stuffs.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    waiting for something new to pop up, seems like the same as every other sale for the last couple of years.

Talking of which, how is Skyrim the number one seller right now?! Surely everyone has picked it up already in one of the many other sales? Not that I'm knocking it, I still play it, its one of my all-time favourites. Just amazed so many people are still buying it.

Anyone new to Skyrim on here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Skyrim has such a rep that newcomers to gaming or people who buy very few games, perhaps wanting to pick up something for Christmas would jump on it at that price. When I got back into gaming after after a few years away from it I started hoovering up a lot of the big name/big reputation games that I'd missed if I saw them on sale cheaply.

I did help the Skyrim sales by buying a gift copy to give away at some point. Maybe others are doing that too.

On my friends list I have many more people who own it than want it though, which would tie into the theory that those who want it have it already. Perhaps it takes less than we think to be a top seller?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't get Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl to work, totally gutted was looking forward to this.

No mouse pointer, all I can do is go up and down at the menu screen with the arrows :(

Have you tried the usual stuff like running in compatibility mode, running as administrator and verifying the game files?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Meat Boy 95% off :cool:
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will we get a free game today like last year?? :o
  • Options
    Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got Portal 2 for 3 quid
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Will we get a free game today like last year?? :o

Last year broke the internet, so i'd be surprised if they do it again. Or, maybe a 'lesser' game, like Bad Rats. Or Racer 8.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year broke the internet, so i'd be surprised if they do it again. Or, maybe a 'lesser' game, like Bad Rats. Or Racer 8.

Steam regularly goes down for me every time there is a sale, I sometimes wonder if they can actually cope with the growing popularity of the site :(