Your World Cup Dark Horse?

SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not to win it, I think most of us will agree that will be one of the usual suspects.

But who is your dark horse to reach the semi-finals, or at the very least the quarter-finals?

A lot of talk pre-tournament talk about Belgium, but will they deliver?

Colombia might have been a decent bet but now they are without Falcao can they still get far?

Looking at the way the draw could pan out I quite fancy Bosnia to cause an upset or two. I can definitely see them getting to the Quarters, maybe even do what Croatia did back in 1998 and reach the last four.

Comments

• TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Imonfire was still around, she'd say Norwich... :D
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I don't think Belgium are going to get anywhere near achieving the expectations so many seem to have of them. something about them just seems not to be right, and I can't place my finger on it.

Colombia and Chile would be my tips to spring a surprise.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think Chile could be the team to watch out for. I fancy them to get through from the group stages at the expense of Netherlands
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Chile for a while now though for me it'll depend on how fit Vidal is.
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chile did cross my mind and I do think they will qualify for the knockout stage but unless they win Group B they are more than likely looking at a Second Round clash against Brazil.
  • james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its such a cliche to say Belgium are the dark horses, sick of hearing it. They have got a pretty decent squad at the moment i guess.
    My pick is Bosnia to get at least to the quarter finals, with Dzeko on fire.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the USA could surprise everyone and reach the quarter final.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member
    I think the USA could surprise everyone and reach the quarter final.

Interesting choice. They would have to beat Portugal and also Belgium probably in the Round of 16 but they have already done that this season. My dark horse for the QFs is Columbia.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Uruguay, if they count as a dark horse.
  • Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Columbia
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    England.
  • jvilson29jvilson29 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Chile. Predicted the World Cup wall chart and had them finishing 3rd. Portugal were the other semi final team if you would consider that a great achievement for them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colombia could get to the quarters/semis definitely.
  • -Bandit--Bandit- Posts: 7,267
    Forum Member
    i assume all those saying chile expect them to win group b and avoid a 2nd round clash with brazil or are they predicting them to be the nation that knocks out the hosts?

colombia are a good bet even without falcao.... but i also think ivory coast could finally do something...
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belgium by a mile have a look at their squad.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Columbia, Chile & England.
    Yeah England not fancied to win it but a Semi-Final place maybe.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chile
    Forum Member
    so the majority reckon chile.... that makes them dead certs to crash out at the 1st stage... :p
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uruguay or U.S.A could do well.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    France and Belgium, both potential quarter-finalists IMO.
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    France and Belgium, both potential quarter-finalists IMO.

Have France fallen so much that they are now considered a dark horse to reach the last 8?

How about Ecuador as a dark horse. They have a decent group and if they avoid Argentina in the 2nd round they could definitely make the quarters.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Switzerland
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »
    Switzerland

that's a decent shout... they are tough to beat and i expect them to get out of their group... avoid argentina in round 2 and the quarters will beckon for the swiss...
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Bosnia. Definitely have a shot at second in their group to Argentina as Nigeria doesn't seem that strong. Then in second round, they could face the Swiss who might top the group if France has a slow start. They'd have a 50/50 shot at that tie. Could make the quarters on a wave of national passion.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chile and Bosnia