The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extra time is a major blow to Ninja Warrior, especially with the nice weather probably already affecting it. Could be in the 2s, although it'll bounce back next week.

BGT won't be affected (although the weather might affect it a bit) but had ITV scheduled it at 7pm like last year then they would have had a problem.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They won't axe the lowest rating episode as it wouldn't make sense neither in ratings terms or in financial terms.

Ratings - replacement show would rate lower

Financial - the overheads to make the soap would stay around the same, meaning per episode the soap would cost more, plus they need to spend more to make the programme that replaces it.

Plus of course this may be a short term thing, soaps haven't been decreasing in a straight line since the 90s, they were fairly flat year on year for about 5 years until 2012ish.

I'm sure this soap discussion now takes place every single week, and it's always lead by people who hate soaps and used to speak negatively of them even when they got 10m. I'm surprised people aren't bored with basically having the same discussion over and over again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Perfection for BBC One - extra time in the football which will really hurt Ninja Warrior UK. But will it boost Britain's Got Talent with more people potentially watching TV approaching 8pm than last week?
    Now imagine if Thunderbirds had stayed at 6pm?

Up against The Boat Race last week, up against the FA Cup this week.

The tabloids would have had a field day and probably would have killed it off by now.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Now imagine if Thunderbirds had stayed at 6pm?

Up against The Boat Race last week, up against the FA Cup this week.

The tabloids would have had a field day and probably would have killed it off by now.

So getting not even 500k is a pathway of success? That explains ITV's race to the bottom in terms of viewing figures! It'd be an alternative and, if it it's predominantly a children's show, then it's ITV figures would be neither here or there.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New BBC One schedule:

20:05 - BBC News
    20:20 - BBC Regional News
    20:25 - Atlantis
    21:10 - Lottery Draws
    21:20 - as normal
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    So getting not even 500k is a pathway of success? That explains ITV's race to the bottom in terms of viewing figures! It'd be an alternative and, if it it's predominantly a children's show, then it's ITV figures would be neither here or there.

They would be here or there though wouldn't they, in this thread, in the forum in general and most importantly in the tabloids.

Going about its business on CITV getting ratings in line with what shows get on the kids channels, keeps it out of the way of being killed off by bad press.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    New BBC One schedule:

Play to The Whistle isn't going to benefit from the over-run then. Smoothly done by the BBC.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunday Times;-

Clarksons version of events to be printed.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    New BBC One schedule:

Surly this is a good thing for the BBC as they usually rate low on Saturday night when Britain's Got No Talent is on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Sunday Times;-

"I tripped and my fist accidentally connected with the face of the producer..."
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Sunday Times;-

& this has what to do with ratings?
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the football has gone the BBC's way again. They do seem to have good luck with the sport. This will simultaneously kill off NWUK on episode 2 and no doubt we'll see PTTW around 2.5m or less.

Seriously ITV LE is in such a poor state, what with poor commissions combined with good commissions but bad luck.
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    & this has what to do with ratings?

It doesn't, like most of the posts on this thread. :p
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the football has gone the BBC's way again. They do seem to have good luck with the sport. This will simultaneously kill off NWUK on episode 2 and no doubt we'll see PTTW around 2.5m or less.

Seriously ITV LE is in such a poor state, what with poor commissions combined with good commissions but bad luck.

I think Ninja Warrior will dip tonight due to the footy but I think it will increase next week as it is a decent show
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The news will probably do a lot better for BBC1 in that 8pm slot than Atlantis would have. News tends to hold a casual audience quite well, although I'm not sure they'll stick around for Atlantis. The football might mitigate the impact of the warmer weather by bringing more people to TV than there otherwise would have been, could be good for everything other than Ninja Warrior.

Also, a storming few days for C4. Gogglebox did 3.8m (19.1%) including +1 last night. But the real story must be the big week on week increases for both editions of The Island. The men & women thing is looking like an inspired decision now and it's giving C4 a real boost on both nights. Their weeknight 9pm slot average this week has been 11.6% which is fantastic.

Factual/entertainment on Channel 4 is in really good shape with some strong returning formats in recent years which have carried them through tough patches. And it's great to see them enjoying success with shows like First Dates which they stuck with despite some awful ratings early on.

The vast sums being thrown at drama and comedy series like Indian Summers and Cucumber are increasingly hard to justify. Why is it that the unscripted commissioners seem to far better grasp the C4 audience than the scripted executives?
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Ninja Warrior can be a hit then it'll bounce back next week. It isn't the sort of show where if you miss an episode then there's no point watching the rest so even though it'll be hurt tonight that shouldn't have an impact on future episodes.

Thought BGT had a good second episode tonight so hopefully it'll hold onto most of last week's audience.

Atlantis might do a bit better this week because of the football but it'll still be low.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure there have been many good commissions to be honest. That might just be down to Elaine Bedell getting it wrong (God knows she has form) but I suspect the current woes are because of this push on "male" shows and the apparent expectation that the entertainment department (struggling anyway) needs to take on that challenge.

They're in that dangerous position where they're not commissioning for their audience. Instead, they're trying to change their audience and that's always difficult. I also think BGT is a huge waste in such a schedule. It's the best chance ITV have all year to chase the biggest audiences possible at 7pm and 9.15pm.

Ninja Warrior, by its very name, is not an ITV show. From what I've seen it lacks the fun of Wipeout or the camp pomp and glitz of Gladiators. And Play To The Whistle simply isn't funny. The line up is dismal compared to A League Of Their Own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People should in theory tune back into Ninja Warrior next week. It's not as if you won't be able to get back into it.

ITV Light entertainment is probably in a better shape than most, most other channels admitted failure and bearly bother now so they don't find new hits, but they also don't have embarrassing flops either.

Also bear in mind viewers are very selective now, and many aren't even in the market for watching something on afterwards. Nothing has ever maintained anywhere near all the audience, most don't even sample anything for 5 mins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Factual/entertainment on Channel 4 is in really good shape with some strong returning formats in recent years which have carried them through tough patches. And it's great to see them enjoying success with shows like First Dates which they stuck with despite some awful ratings early on.

C4 is a factual channel and the vast majority of its dozens of commissioners are focussed on finding factual hits. Entertainment though? In a dismal state, if you ask me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

The vast sums being thrown at drama and comedy series like Indian Summers and Cucumber are increasingly hard to justify. Why is it that the unscripted commissioners seem to far better grasp the C4 audience than the scripted executives?

Probably based on viewer expectations. Channel 4 are known for factual, some of their factual are the only shows I ever hear the young girls talking about at work. Channel 4 isn't known for drama and isn't known for much comedy these days either.

I'm sure some here thought Gogglebox should have burnt itself out by now
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    They won't axe the lowest rating episode as it wouldn't make sense neither in ratings terms or in financial terms.

Ratings - replacement show would rate lower

Financial - the overheads to make the soap would stay around the same, meaning per episode the soap would cost more, plus they need to spend more to make the programme that replaces it.

Plus of course this may be a short term thing, soaps haven't been decreasing in a straight line since the 90s, they were fairly flat year on year for about 5 years until 2012ish.

I'm sure this soap discussion now takes place every single week, and it's always lead by people who hate soaps and used to speak negatively of them even when they got 10m. I'm surprised people aren't bored with basically having the same discussion over and over again.

Yes but what changed in 2012? Was that the year analogue was switched off?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C4 is a factual channel and the vast majority of its dozens of commissioners are focussed on finding factual hits. Entertainment though? In a dismal state, if you ask me.

Channel 4 has been propped up by factual for the last few years. The strength in that genre covers the weaknesses in others. Drama had been a disaster for them. Low rating critical darlings don't help the overall channel. Likewise with comedy. All channels need hits, they help give a channel a presence on a night and can be scheduled around. This year has seen some green shoots of recovery but they must look enviously at BBC2's drama hit rate.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Expecting an ITV drop across the board for tonight....BGT down to 8.5m, NW down to 3.2m and PTTW down to 2.5m.

FA Cup for BBC1 ought beat 5.5m, Atlantis will drop again and Casualty ought be around 4.5m
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I look at Channel 4 facial and ITV factual and think ITV could learn something. Channel 4 know their audience, I don't think ITV do with some of their commissions. Worst of all they schedule it all wrong. Some of ITV's low rating 9pm one offs should go after the news. That's where BBC1 put a lot of theirs. That's a slot good for 1.5-2m. Richard Klein at ITV doesn't know his ITV audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Expecting an ITV drop across the board for tonight....BGT down to 8.5m, NW down to 3.2m and PTTW down to 2.5m.

FA Cup for BBC1 ought beat 5.5m, Atlantis will drop again and Casualty ought be around 4.5m

Does Britain's Got Talent normally see a 1m decline from the first to second episode? :blush: The FA Cup going to extra time was a godsend for BBC One.
This discussion has been closed.