Does anyone remember City Lights (BBC Scotland sitcom)?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 773
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone remembers the BBC comedy City Lights from the 80s? I absolutely loved this show, and keep hoping it will be repeated but as far as I know it never had been. I can't find it on DVD either.....has anyone else ever seen it repeated?

I'd love to know what they were all doing now...I'm sure Willie Melvin would still be working in the bank wearing the same tie :)

Comments

• davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remembers the BBC comedy City Lights from the 80s? I absolutely loved this show, and keep hoping it will be repeated but as far as I know it never had been. I can't find it on DVD either.....has anyone else ever seen it repeated?

I'd love to know what they were all doing now...I'm sure Willie Melvin would still be working in the bank wearing the same tie :)

Yes, I loved it as well. I seem to remember his flat was situated around the area where Babbitty Bowsters is located just off the High Street. Dave Anderson played the boss, with a young Jonathan Watson playing an arse-licker within the branch?

Quality tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Yes, I loved it as well. I seem to remember his flat was situated around the area where Babbitty Bowsters is located just off the High Street. Dave Anderson played the boss, with a young Jonathan Watson playing an arse-licker within the branch?

Quality tv.

Yep, Mr McClelland was excellent! I also loved Chancer and Big Tam! It was just the best Scottish sitcom from that time and I would love to see it again but it seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, Mr McClelland was excellent! I also loved Chancer and Big Tam! It was just the best Scottish sitcom from that time and I would love to see it again but it seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet!

I'd actually forgotten about it over the passage of time. If you ever locate a DVD or even an old Video of the episodes, please pm me as I'd really, really like to see them again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd actually forgotten about it over the passage of time. If you ever locate a DVD or even an old Video of the episodes, please pm me as I'd really, really like to see them again.

I will do Davie1924...I just hope someone out there knows why it hasn't been repeated?
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember that! I googled it and got this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Lights-VHS-Gerard-Kelly/dp/B00005T5ZZ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »

Thanks for that You_mo, unfortunately I don't have a video anymore! Pah!
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I just barely remember it, I remember me and my mum used to watch it together, I must have only been around 6/7 when it was on. But I can't remember anything about the storylines!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just barely remember it, I remember me and my mum used to watch it together, I must have only been around 6/7 when it was on. But I can't remember anything about the storylines!

I was abouit 9 or 10 when it was first on, at school the day after it was on, everyone would be talking about it!!
  • LarocLaroc Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I loved it too, it was pure dead brilliant so it was!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »

Just purchased a used - good as new VHS tape for £1.99. I knew I did the right thing by keeping my VCR. Result!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just purchased a used - good as new VHS tape for £1.99. I knew I did the right thing by keeping my VCR. Result!!!

I am SOOO jealous! I hope you enjoy! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am SOOO jealous! I hope you enjoy! :)

Thanks, I just hope it hasn't dated like so many other programmes from that era. I doubt it though!!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to like City Lights. I think Gerard Kelly hammed it up a bit too much sometimes, but generally it was great. Mr McClelland was the best character for me, very deadpan. There was one episode where Willie was being promoted to head office and Mr McClelland's farewell speech was a classic - "Well, William, the three years you've been at the branch have been....they've been....well, they've been. And now they've gone. Good riddance." :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to like City Lights. I think Gerard Kelly hammed it up a bit too much sometimes, but generally it was great. Mr McClelland was the best character for me, very deadpan. There was one episode where Willie was being promoted to head office and Mr McClelland's farewell speech was a classic - "Well, William, the three years you've been at the branch have been....they've been....well, they've been. And now they've gone. Good riddance." :D

:D Mr McClelland was brilliant! Did Willie get married in the end? And who was it too? The English lass from the Philadelphia adverts or the Scottish girl witht he short hair?! Or even Irene?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Yes I remember it! There's been quite a few times i've searched for this on youtube but to no avail. I Remember Chancer and Tam, Melvins pals, and the mother. This was up there with "Naked Video" regarding 80s Scots comedy, puzzling why it hasn't been released on DVD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Mr McClelland was brilliant! Did Willie get married in the end? And who was it too? The English lass from the Philadelphia adverts or the Scottish girl witht he short hair?! Or even Irene?!

Can't remember if he got married. If he did, it wasn't to Janice (the Scottish girl with short hair) - she vanished totally after the first couple of series.
  • GoggleboxGogglebox Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    A line that pops in my head regularly
    Mrs Melvin to Chancer as he denies he drinks too much

"the first time i seen you wi a carry oot i thot you were flittin"
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remembers the BBC comedy City Lights from the 80s? I absolutely loved this show, and keep hoping it will be repeated but as far as I know it never had been.

I hope they hurry up and release it on DVD, I'd buy it like a shot, I loved this show.

Gerard Kelly was fab as Bunny in Extras. He should be on our telly more.
  • jalfrezijalfrezi Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »
    Gerard Kelly was fab as Bunny in Extras. He should be on our telly more.

Smarties? ... oooh yummy! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogglebox wrote: »
    A line that pops in my head regularly
    Mrs Melvin to Chancer as he denies he drinks too much

"the first time i seen you wi a carry oot i thot you were flittin"

:D:D:D

Mrs Melvin was great, I remember the one where she's away for a few days and Willie lets a tramp into her house, only to find the urn with his dad's ashes goes missing! He panics and fills the urn with some ash-like substance, only to find his mum had taken his father away with her! Hilarious!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

Mrs Melvin was great, I remember the one where she's away for a few days and Willie lets a tramp into her house, only to find the urn with his dad's ashes goes missing! He panics and fills the urn with some ash-like substance, only to find his mum had taken his father away with her! Hilarious!

Who's that on my telly!?

Great series, I suspect only Scotland got to see all the episodes.

I have 2 VHS tapes, and treasure them.
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the main character, Willy, possessing delusions of mediocrity - a significant part of each show’s plot. I also seem to recall Kirsty Wark being in one of them (as herself). Also featured the fat bird out of the contemporaneous Philadelphia cheese ads, who played his girlfriend. It was a good show. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also seem to recall Kirsty Wark being in one of them (as herself).

She did; I think she interviewed Willie in a vox pop in the street and ended up losing patience and walloping him with the microphone.
  • yawalloperyawalloper Posts: 6,561
    Forum Member
  • pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willie Melvin was one of the most annoying characters ever in TV comedy.
    Gerard Kelly's performance made Willie out to be almost retarded in some way and he was always pathetic rather than funny.