Bring back contestants who never fulfilled their potential?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think it would be a good idea to bring back some of the contestants who never had a fair shot? Like Jade & Kelly Brooke?
Both were real contenders and worked hard to stay in the competition and due to factors they couldn't control they never got a fair shot. They'd be a delight to see dancing again.

Comments

• Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member
    black_vine wrote: »
    Do you think it would be a good idea to bring back some of the contestants who never had a fair shot? Like Jade & Kelly Brooke?
    Both were real contenders and worked hard to stay in the competition and due to factors they couldn't control they never got a fair shot. They'd be a delight to see dancing again.

Good idea. I'd also like to see Gabby Logan back as well. She didn't deserve to go so early in the 2007 series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoe Lucker
    Jade Johnson
    Cherie Lunghie
    Kelly Brook
    Gabby Logan
    Penny Lancaster

Yes please.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear!

This sounds like a "BBC idea."

There'd be a great deal of disparity between the abilities of those who've been it before and anyone new. A more "unequal" competition, I couldn't imagine.
    But "in the constant search for ratings" I wouldn't rule out such a daft idea.
    I'd be surprised though if many former contestants would want to be a "second chance" performer.
  • Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    TylerTango wrote: »
    Zoe Lucker
    Jade Johnson
    Cherie Lunghie
    Kelly Brook
    Gabby Logan
    Penny Lancaster

Yes please.
    The main problem I see is that there are more women than men in the category of not having had a 'fair' shot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear!

This sounds like a "BBC idea."

There'd be a great deal of disparity between the abilities of those who've been it before and anyone new. A more "unequal" competition, I couldn't imagine.
    But "in the constant search for ratings" I wouldn't rule out such a daft idea.
    I'd be surprised though if many former contestants would want to be a "second chance" performer.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to let them perform on Saturday shows/Christmas special/It Takes Two every now and again though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Oh it would be unfair to pit them against complete newbies. But there are probably enough for a mini series alone.

I'd go for:
    Jade
    Kelly
    Gabby
    Zoe Lucker
    Ray Fearon
    Spoony

I loved Cherie and felt she went to soon, but reckon she had a fair crack at it. Similarly, I'd have loved to have seen Aled in the final, but he also had a fair run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see Jade, but I saw plenty of Kelly as it was, I wouldn't want her back. The problem is how do you define fair shot? If you say it's people who were "shock exits" there's a reason they went - they didn't get public support - so what's to say it'd be different this time around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member

Not if all the contestants are returnees. There would still be disparity, but isn't there always?

The public could be asked to vote for willing participants in good time for the producers to make all the usual arrangements. This would mean that they would all have some degree of acceptability to the public.

I would like to see Gabby Logan again, even though I didn't much take to her uber competitive attitude. Maybe she would have a better appreciation of the aesthetics of dance the second time round.

Spoony should get a second chance and a slightly older Louisa Lytton would be worth seeing.
  • Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not keen on the idea for the likes of Logan, Lunghi and Lucker. However, if a contestant has good reason for withdrawing (illness, injury, bereavement etc), they should have an opportunity to dance again. I think it was classy move to invite Kelly to take part in last year's Christmas Special...and she was excellent on the show.

I'm not too keen on Jade and think she is over-rated but, in the same way, I would like to see her dance again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    I'm not keen on the idea for the likes of Logan, Lunghi and Lucker.

That's it! You've solved the mystery!

James doesn't have a samba curse. He has a 'celeb with a two syllable surname starting in L' curse.

Just as well he didn't have Louisa Lytton in the series before. :D
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I'd like to see some of the 'never fulfilled their potential' celebrities return, i think it would have to be a special mini-series rather than as part of the main competition - maybe next year as an Children In Need or Comic Relief special perhaps over 4 weeks?

The main logistical nightmare I could see is who to ask to take part - Kelly Brook and Jade Johnson would be definites, but the only others to have withdrawn are Jimmy Tarbuck (health reasons) and John Sargent (um........). Deciding who to offer the remaining (i reckon as a good number) 4 places to would be tricky which 1 female and 3 male former contestants do you ask? Those who came 2nd in their respective series (starting most recently so Rachel, Matt, Matt and Colin perhaps?) Do you base it on pro-availability and try to reunite as many couples as possible?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it; I just think it could be a nightmare to decide who takes part, and as soon as it is announced this place will melt down due to the vast number of 'XXXXX was cr@p why are they there?'; 'YYYYYY deserved to go the first time they shouldn't be invited back' and 'I hate Alesha' (whether she's there or not)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member

It must be a conspiracy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Soz that was meant to be in reply to Fredless Ginger.
    I still haven't worked out how to quote OP s yet :o