Matt's Music

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How the hell was Matt supposed to be able to perform a creditable jive to a samba track! Scott's music wasn't much better, more foxtrot than paso. No wonder Pamela and Kara had the two stand out performances of the night, they at least got to dance to tracks that represented their actual dance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    I thought some of the music was quite slow for the dances too. Matt's jive and Pam's VW particularly. All felt a bit laboured.
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, I know Aliona's choreography has been criticised but I thought she did well this week considering the music.
  • Cheryl423Cheryl423 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bit strange wasn't it. But all credit to Matt for pulling it off !
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the hell was Matt supposed to be able to perform a creditable jive

I nearly switched off, that under-paced jingle was a sick joke :mad:
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as I saw Aliona's costume on ITT, I knew what music they were going to dance to and I hate it. For that reason it was never going to be my favourite routine of the night. :(

In the the end Matt did a fantastic job, but I do think Aliona let him down by not including enough Jive steps. :(

I think the judges were pretty generous tbh.
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that the judges (particularly Len) would come down hard on the lack of very much Jive in the Jive but seemingly not !!!
  • Leatherface!!!Leatherface!!! Posts: 4,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think out of all the dances aliona and matt really did paly with the movie theame so good on them.
  • water_carrierwater_carrier Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated everything about the routine. It made me cringe. He's a much better dancer and this did not show his true form. I thought it was very gimmicky, I was very disappointed.
    Matt has been hit and miss and I can only see that it is down to Aliona's choreography. I often think the routines are designed to be all about her and not show the dance skills of her partner. I was very sad at the end of tonights show to see that he is in potential danger.
    Forum Member
    I hated everything about the routine. It made me cringe. He's a much better dancer and this did not show his true form. I thought it was very gimmicky, I was very disappointed.

I was too, but I was disappointed as soon as I heard they had that music - what else could they do? They drew the short straw in the movie week theme. With the costumes too - all the other men got to look sexy and suave.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've never yet been allowed to see Matt dance at his best - I'm absolutely convinced he could be stunning with less tricksy, off-piste routines.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    We've never yet been allowed to see Matt dance at his best - I'm absolutely convinced he could be stunning with less tricksy, off-piste routines.

I agree. However, his AP impersonation was quite something.
  • Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too think they provided a great 'homage' to the film but the choice meant that any chance of a great jive suffered because the music was not right. The same happened with the AT on the halloween night which was sacrificed to a terrible choice of music.

Brendan and Michelle's jive was overwhelmed by their Rocky horror show theme as well and Scott's paso tonight did not work.

Not sure if the film couples are portraying is supposed to take priority to the dance style, because that is what is often happening, The show seems to be taking a subtle shift away from 'strictly' dancing into generalised show dances with a vague connection to ballroom/latin. It is a pity because when the choice of music is right it makes such a difference and all the relevant music is out there on celuloid.
    Forum Member
    I too think they provided a great 'homage' to the film but the choice meant that any chance of a great jive suffered because the music was not right. The same happened with the AT on the halloween night which was sacrificed to a terrible choice of music.

Brendan and Michelle's jive was overwhelmed by their Rocky horror show theme as well and Scott's paso tonight did not work.

Not sure if the film couples are portraying is supposed to take priority to the dance style, because that is what is often happening, The show seems to be taking a subtle shift away from 'strictly' dancing into generalised show dances with a vague connection to ballroom/latin. It is a pity because when the choice of music is right it makes such a difference and all the relevant music is out there on celuloid.

I agree, but I was disappointed with most of the dances tonight, even the pro ones at the start. I don't like theme nights in general, though I did enjoy Halloween.
  • bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The music choice was totally unsuitable - the timing was too slow to get going. I like Matt but thought both he and Scot were overmarked.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the music was dreadful - but they did the best they could with what they were given. There were far more credible movie tunes out there to dance the jive to than that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Matt coped well with the rather difficult music but again I was let down by Aliona's choreography. There was a lot of that routine spent doing tricks and arm movements and posing that had nothing to do with the jive.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    This show has descended into the realms of mediocrity that I suspected it would, this year. Some of the dance music tonight was appalling and Matt's jive wasn't. His themed constume just spoiled the whole effect for me and wasn't there an Argentine Tango somewhere but not in the style it should be.
    Roll on the finals and the end of this rather tragic gimmicky series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were completely handicapped by the music, terrible choice for a jive. I thought they did the best they could in the situation and Matt esp impressed me with portraying the film character considering he's not an actor.
  • roadieboysroadieboys Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the music choices this year have been ridiculous!!!

Tonight's jive and again the jive last week to Hey Ya ...
    What the f... is that all about!!!!!!
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the jive as a dance, so I really really enjoyed this one precisely because it didn't feel like a jive. So I understand what you are all saying. Loved the comedy aspect of it and I think Matt's personification of AP was good.
    I actually thought that the choreography was quite clever for the music and the theme, and unlike some posters in other threads, I thought it wasn't at all all-about-Aliona (I got that impression with Scott and Natalie's paso).
    Forum Member
    marinamau wrote: »
    I hate the jive as a dance, so I really really enjoyed this one precisely because it didn't feel like a jive. So I understand what you are all saying. Loved the comedy aspect of it and I think Matt's personification of AP was good.
    I actually thought that the choreography was quite clever for the music and the theme, and unlike some posters in other threads, I thought it wasn't at all all-about-Aliona (I got that impression with Scott and Natalie's paso).

I agree with all of this. I don't much like the jive either (there have been a few notable exceptions in SCD over the years, obv).

I don't see how anyone could say that this jive was all about Aliona, given that they were doing mostly the same moves all the way through, apart from a bit of gymnastics by Matt.

I do think Natalie has tended to dance round Scott in several dances so far, especially ones that he's less strong in and recently since he's been tired. She's so dazzling that it's hard to take your eyes off her and I think it gives the overall impression that their routines are better than they are.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the hell was Matt supposed to be able to perform a creditable jive to a samba track! Scott's music wasn't much better, more foxtrot than paso. No wonder Pamela and Kara had the two stand out performances of the night, they at least got to dance to tracks that represented their actual dance.

You are absolutely right. Matt and Scott had appalling music tonight for their dances which was a hindrance and not a help to them and all to fit a so called theme. The beat, rhythm and timing for both did not fit Matt's Jive or Scott's Paso. The music is supposed to help the dancers .
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt has been hit and miss and I can only see that it is down to Aliona's choreography. I often think the routines are designed to be all about her and not show the dance skills of her partner. I was very sad at the end of tonights show to see that he is in potential danger.

I don't often think that Aliona's routines are all about her, though I have thought that about Natalie frequently. Taking tonight's jive for example, Aliona and Matt do the same steps, either paired with each-other, or in sync side by side. Neither has more than the other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    You are absolutely right. Matt and Scott had appalling music tonight for their dances which was a hindrance and not a help to them and all to fit a so called theme. The beat, rhythm and timing for both did not fit Matt's Jive or Scott's Paso. The music is supposed to help the dancers .

The frustrating thing is though that there have been thousands of movies with fantastic music. I'm sure that they could easily have found a decent jive and paso in there. Strictly Ballroom must have had quite a few for a start!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    I don't often think that Aliona's routines are all about her, though I have thought that about Natalie frequently. Taking tonight's jive for example, Aliona and Matt do the same steps, either paired with each-other, or in sync side by side. Neither has more than the other.

I think all the pro's make it more about them when they know their celeb is struggling or is just completely hopeless. I don't mind when it is Natalie as she is fantastic to watch :) but I haven't been so impressed by Anton doing 99% of his routines this year :(