English devolution - a good idea?

SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
Forum Member
✭✭
As has been afforded to Wales, Scotland and the North of Ireland. A devolved English government, seeking to help the needs of all of our Country; not just London. A fair system of voting could be used such as Proportional Representation. The new parliament would be a more central city in England, bringing extra prosperity to other regions. It would pave the way towards the ability to facilitate an independence vote in the same way as the Scottish have got, if there's an appetite for such a thing. At the very least, the people of England would get a sense of national identity at last, and know what it is to be ENGLISH, rather than British, lumped together with 3 other Countries who don't particularly like us anyway. I just feel that today, St. George's Day, reflecting on what it means to be English, this could be something that makes sense to quite a lot of people.

Comments

• Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless it was linked to a reduction in the role and size of the UK government then it would just become an expensive extra layer.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More politicians, more bureaucracy and more expense. No thanks.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind more politicians if they are working for the people, rather than for big corporation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but only if it is regional devolution, otherwise the North and London would be having disputes over various matters...
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Who is England devolving from?
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

Good question.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The palace of Westminster, which is as relevant in certain areas of England as it is in Scotland.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    English devolution - a good idea? Or ridiculous waste of money?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Unless it was linked to a reduction in the role and size of the UK government then it would just become an expensive extra layer.

It would definitely mean a reduction in the role and size of UK government. In fact that's the only way it could possibly happen.

Departments of health, education, and all the other things that are now devolved to Scotland and Wales, would be transferred to the new English government. The new UK federal government would handle things such as defence and foreign policy.
    Forum Member

The UK Parliament.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An 'English Parliament' would not work. Given the sheer size of England compared to Scotland, NI and Wales, devolved regional assemblies for England would be much more appropriate; otherwise the devolved bodies of other parts of the UK would wield a disproportionate level of power. In that sense, English devolution potentially creates more problems that it solves.

The only way it could work is by downgrading the status of the Westminster Parliament and creating a truly federal United Kingdom. However, at present there is very little public appetitie for such huge constitutional change. The Blair government tried to introduce regional assemblies for England, but it was voted down overwhelmingly in the 2004 referendum in the North East.

As another poster said, it would mean more politicians, more expense and just another layer of bureaucracy. So I'm happy with the current quasi-federal arrangement.
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    An 'English Parliament' would not work. Given the sheer size of England compared to Scotland, NI and Wales, devolved regional assemblies for England would be much more appropriate; otherwise the devolved bodies of other parts of the UK would wield a disproportionate level of power.
    How so? Devolved governments can only wield power within their own jurisdictions.
    The only way it could work is by downgrading the status of the Westminster Parliament and creating a truly federal United Kingdom. However, at present there is very little public appetitie for such huge constitutional change. The Blair government tried to introduce regional assemblies for England, but it was voted down overwhelmingly in the 2004 referendum in the North East.
    Part of the trouble there was that the regions were not being offered the same powers as Scotland or Wales, so people probably just didn't see the point of them.
    As another poster said, it would mean more politicians, more expense and just another layer of bureaucracy. So I'm happy with the current quasi-federal arrangement.
    Doesn't have to mean more politicians, especially if the Lords was abolished at the same time. The current number of MPs could be split between the two new Parliaments.

As you say it would mean huge constitutional change, but I really don't think the present system is sustainable in the long run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a Parliament covering London/Greater South Eastn another convering Cornwall/South West England and another convering the rest of England.

Also those parliaments (along with the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish ones) should have full control over domestic and tax policy/revenue, with Westminster retaining control over defence and foreign affairs (thus much smaller).

Westminster can also have only 100-200 MPs (with the House of Lords being abolished), divided by population and elected by PR...
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    How so? Devolved governments can only wield power within their own jurisdictions.

Part of the trouble there was that the regions were not being offered the same powers as Scotland or Wales, so people probably just didn't see the point of them.

As you say it would mean huge constitutional change, but I really don't think the present system is sustainable in the long run.

Sorry I probably didn't explain it clearly. The level of power would be disproportionate because a Scottish Parliament, representing the interests of 5 million people, would have equal status with an English Parliament representing 50 million. If English devolution were to happen, devolved regional assemblies of roughly equal size would surely make more sense.

I have no objection to English devolution in theory, and I think it could be a viable option for the future, but as present I am satisfied with how things are. As I said, I think it has the potential to create more problems than it solves.
    Forum Member
    Sorry I probably didn't explain it clearly. The level of power would be disproportionate because a Scottish Parliament, representing the interests of 5 million people, would have equal status with an English Parliament representing 50 million. If English devolution were to happen, devolved regional assemblies of roughly equal size surely makes more sense.
    It probably would, but why would it matter if Parliaments of widely differing size had equal status? It's not as though the countries would have equal status in the federal Parliament - that would still be overwhelmingly English.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An 'English Parliament' would not work. Given the sheer size of England compared to Scotland, NI and Wales, devolved regional assemblies for England would be much more appropriate; otherwise the devolved bodies of other parts of the UK would wield a disproportionate level of power. In that sense, English devolution potentially creates more problems that it solves.

It would also take years of work by lawyers to disentangle all the historic laws made as our Parliament evolved and became what it is today.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    The UK Parliament.

What happens to the UK Parliament once England has devolved from it?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the Tories are against this as they like the idea of ruling over people who absolutely want no part of them. How very democratic.
    Forum Member
    we don't need an additional layer of government with all the expense and duplication that involves.

we just need to stop the MPs from devolved regions voting on devolved matters.
    Forum Member

It becomes a much smaller federal Parliament.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    we don't need an additional layer of government with all the expense and duplication that involves.
    Why would there be any duplication?
    we just need to stop the MPs from devolved regions voting on devolved matters.
    That could lead to other problems.
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    It would also take years of work by lawyers to disentangle all the historic laws made as our Parliament evolved and became what it is today.

Why would it? There wasn't a huge problem with Welsh and Scottish devolution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be worth thinking about if it excluded London.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It will have more time to concentrate on foreign wars.
    Forum Member
    That could lead to other problems.

Why ?

If i don't get a say on matters devolved to wales why should you get a say on them in england?