Comments

• Options
    ogrynogryn Posts: 3,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big write-up on Giz too: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/09/new-look-virgin-media-tivo-will-use-html5-apps-and-point-you-to-trending-shows/

Surprised no DS article yet.

The one feature I'd still like is a one button press to toggle between the SD and HD version of a channel. I can learn the numbers fine, the rest of the household less so.
  • Options
    martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if some of the annoying bugs will be fixed?
    2 Shows set to record Tivo insists that three are set and won't allow channel change on live viewing or a 3rd recording to be added.
    Recently had an issue with this, where trying to set a recording it wouldn't allow it because it said there were three clashing, fair enough I cancelled two other recordings but still got an odd error message ** will not be recorded due to clashing - even after I'd cancelled the clashing programmes.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this earlier on actually. I'm locked in to Sky until next August but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on how this plays out, mainly because Virgin will be a (slightly) cheaper option and also because I bloody hated Tivo when I had it last year :)
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ogryn wrote: »
    The one feature I'd still like is a one button press to toggle between the SD and HD version of a channel.

Why would you want to do that? Except maybe BBC1?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    martytoo wrote: »
    I wonder if some of the annoying bugs will be fixed?
    2 Shows set to record Tivo insists that three are set and won't allow channel change on live viewing or a 3rd recording to be added.
    Never had that issue. Never even heard of it, to be honest.
    Recently had an issue with this, where trying to set a recording it wouldn't allow it because it said there were three clashing, fair enough I cancelled two other recordings but still got an odd error message ** will not be recorded due to clashing - even after I'd cancelled the clashing programmes.
    Leave it for a few minutes to sort itself out first.

But yes, sounds like a good update.
    ... mainly because Virgin will be a (slightly) cheaper option and also because I bloody hated Tivo when I had it last year :)
    So how do you think you'll like it any better after these essentially cosmetic changes? It'll still be the same box functioning in basically the same way.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    DS article a bit misleading.

I hope it brings UK Tivo in line with the US versions though.

Looks slick if I must say.
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how do you think you'll like it any better after these essentially cosmetic changes? It'll still be the same box functioning in basically the same way.

It should be faster as its no longer flash based. There is a video on YouTube (http://youtu.be/P8BpZagb6q) from one of the Tivo developers about the new platform and the improvements. They can even easily create smart TV apps now that connect to a cloud DVR using the new platform.
  • Options
    fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helix wrote: »
    It should be faster as its no longer flash based. There is a video on YouTube (http://youtu.be/P8BpZagb6q) from one of the Tivo developers about the new platform and the improvements. They can even easily create smart TV apps now that connect to a cloud DVR using the new platform.

That link doesn't work for me.:confused:
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fixerman wrote: »
    That link doesn't work for me.:confused:

Whoops, think I chopped a character off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BpZagb6qE&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoops, think I chopped a character off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BpZagb6qE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!☺ Got it now!
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joethelion wrote: »

Sounds good but my only concern is the last comment in the link provided. Person says they already have this new UI on beta and it's no faster than current software.

In addition, I hope they soon enable 20mb speeds to TiVo rather than the current 10mb that they have restricted it to - the built in modem is capable of 20mb!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, okay. Never thought of that. Then again I've never really had much of a problem with the speed of it. Though I suppose I may just realise how slow it has been if it speeds up as you suggest ;)
    War On wrote: »
    In addition, I hope they soon enable 20mb speeds to TiVo rather than the current 10mb that they have restricted it to - the built in modem is capable of 20mb!
    10mb is more than capable of streaming HD so it doesn't really need to be any faster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10mb is more than capable of streaming HD so it doesn't really need to be any faster.

It doesn't stop numerous comments about iPlayer programmes in HD continually buffering and stuttering though does it.
  • Options
    LiamOKLiamOK Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks very nice! Hope the rollout reaches me next month! Good to see they're moving away from flash, should make things much faster. I don't really have problems with speed but Netflix can be a pain, always end up looking for something on my tablet first then just open it from 'recently played'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LiamOK wrote: »
    Looks very nice! Hope the rollout reaches me next month! Good to see they're moving away from flash, should make things much faster. I don't really have problems with speed but Netflix can be a pain, always end up looking for something on my tablet first then just open it from 'recently played'.

Great tip! Will use that from now on! Thanks :D
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't stop numerous comments about iPlayer programmes in HD continually buffering and stuttering though does it.

I might be wrong, but I think the main reason the BBC haven't been able to roll out the new version of the iPlayer to Tivo yet has been because Tivo apps don't support HTML5.

This update moves Tivo to HTML5, and the BBC have said they hope to roll out the new iPlayer to Tivo before the end of the year, which ties in with this update.

So hopefully by the end of the year Tivo, and the iPlayer, will be playing ball together a lot better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joethelion wrote: »

Shame it almost certainly won't allow us to ditch the hideous maroon VM branding colour scheme.

We've set the ours to high contrast just to get rid of the ugly colour but can't ditch it from the standard menus, it would appear!

I'd much prefer the standard tivo blue colour scheme.

EDIT: Just noticed its going to a plum colour. Much easier on the eyes, should have read the gizmodo article before commenting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I think the main reason the BBC haven't been able to roll out the new version of the iPlayer to Tivo yet has been because Tivo apps don't support HTML5.

This update moves Tivo to HTML5, and the BBC have said they hope to roll out the new iPlayer to Tivo before the end of the year, which ties in with this update.

So hopefully by the end of the year Tivo, and the iPlayer, will be playing ball together a lot better.

Oh OK I see, so maybe the 'buffering' is more to do with Flash than the internet speed? If that's the case then HTML5 is good news (is anyway tbh). I don't seem to suffer with playback issues via Netflix but I believe that adjusts the PQ to the download stream quality/speed. Although the PQ always appears very good via it anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    Shame it almost certainly won't allow us to ditch the hideous maroon VM branding colour scheme.
    Erm... It's a VM product so of course it's going to have their branding (which includes the colour scheme) on it.

I've heard some nonsense before but this is ridiculous.

Can you change Sky's branding on the Sky+ >:(
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member

We've set the ours to high contrast just to get rid of the ugly colour but can't ditch it from the standard menus, it would appear!

EDIT: Just noticed its going to a plum colour. Much easier on the eyes, should have read the gizmodo article before commenting!

Maroon?

the existing is red? and black with white and yellow tones.

the new one is Purple and red.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else use the black version of the mini guide? I find it much better than the red. Too bold in a way but less aggressive!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm... It's a VM product so of course it's going to have their branding (which includes the colour scheme) on it.

I've heard some nonsense before but this is ridiculous.

Can you change Sky's branding on the Sky+ >:(

Speaking of aggressive... What's ridiculous Carl is how aggressive you get whenever you react to someone else's view that does not match you own.

What has Sky got to do with it.

If it ain't the same as your thoughts when it comes to VM and Dr Who it ain't right!
    Anyone else use the black version of the mini guide? I find it much better than the red. Too bold in a way but less aggressive!

As you can change the mini guide colours (to help with visual impairments), it's not that ridiculous to think you might be able to change the colour of the menu screen etc. It still has the VM logo, so in many respects it's silly that it doesn't change all screens to black. After all people with visual impairments use those screens too.
  • Options
    ogrynogryn Posts: 3,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    Why would you want to do that? Except maybe BBC1?

Most HD variants are at least 40 channels away, sometimes around 80. Most non-techies I know agree it's a better quality but can't be bothered to find them after they've started at 101. A simple "Watch this in HD" on the SD channels via one of the coloured buttons would be much appreciated in this household.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh OK I see, so maybe the 'buffering' is more to do with Flash than the internet speed? If that's the case then HTML5 is good news (is anyway tbh). I don't seem to suffer with playback issues via Netflix but I believe that adjusts the PQ to the download stream quality/speed. Although the PQ always appears very good via it anyway.

To be honest, I don't know too much on this technically. Just that HTML5 will let them bring the new version to Tivo. Its probably an assumption / hope on my part that a new version would also resolve the buffering issue.

But in reality, the playback aspect may be completely independent to the UI aspect.