Here we go again ... Virgin's Annual Price Increase

AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
Forum Member
✭✭
Just got the letter from Virgin informing me that my package will increase by £4.66 beginning 1st February 2015.

And so begins the annual dance with the Retentions Department.

Have a fun time everyone!

Comments

• Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Atlantic wrote: »
    Just got the letter from Virgin informing me that my package will increase by £4.66 beginning 1st February 2015.

Assume you are out of contract and haven't over the past 12 months or so signed up to one of the new packages?
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heck what package is that you have ? :(
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    This might be because of the remaining sky basics coming around that time to be in HD etc.

New channel signings.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic wrote: »

Does the letter break down what is actually going up? I assume line rental is going up £1

No dance with the retentions dept for me, i'm going freeview with NowTV, had enough now.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fletch10 wrote: »
    Assume you are out of contract and haven't over the past 12 months or so signed up to one of the new packages?

Why? if you signed up for a new year contract, dont you have the increase?
  • sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The detailed price rise "best bits" are:

Prices going up by an average of 5.9%

Line rental up by £1 / month

Line rental saver going up and becoming £164/yr

Big bundles up £3/month

except Big Kahuna and Big Daddy up by £4.50/month with all bundles including the £1 line rental increase.

ALL customers will receive the rise except those broadband only customers who had a price rice in October 14.

source: Dana Strong, Chief Operating Officer
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,664
    Forum Member
    sps1013 wrote: »
    Line rental saver going up and becoming £164/yr
    Cool. Just paid mine :p And I have to re-negotiate in April :)
  • dnoycednoyce Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Just got my letter to say the price increase will be £6-85. Ridiculous.
    Any suggestions from you Gurus as to my best options most welcome.
    David
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £7.89 for me! I really can't afford an increase of 8%. If retentions can't do anything for me, with great reluctance I'll just have to leave.
    Forum Member
    dnoyce wrote: »
    Any suggestions from you Gurus as to my best options most welcome.
    As ever, call 150 then 5 then 3 and talk to retentions. Do not talk to standard CS reps as they won't be able to help you.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    £7.89 for me! I really can't afford an increase of 8%. If retentions can't do anything for me, with great reluctance I'll just have to leave.

Why do what I call utility companies all raise above inflation?

Maybe we should boycott the lot of them.
    Just need to buy a new duvet....and take a washbag to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »

Would you mind telling us what package you have please?

Given the threads on VM's own forum about price rises and combinations there is something not quite correct with VM's 5.9% quote.
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like mobile phone companies have now been stopped putting prices up while you are in a contact, so the multi billionaire companies can not make money out of trapped person that can not do any think due to cost of coming out of the contact.
    it should also be the same with TV/Internet/phone companies that once you are in a contact no extra costs can be added .... These price increases are a type of entrapment that customers have no real choice ...stickness
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sps1013 wrote: »
    Would you mind telling us what package you have please?

Given the threads on VM's own forum about price rises and combinations there is something not quite correct with VM's 5.9% quote.
    TVxl phone with weekend calls, sky sports & movies with HD package & "normal" broadband. My bill is usually just under £100 per month as I never use the phone. I've tried pricing up with Sky as I'm now in a BT fibre area but it actually came out more expensive!
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having bought a smart tv recently i've been considering just getting rid of everything apart from broadband. Like most people I never use my phone line and now that I can watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube via the TV faster than the TIVO box I'm struggling to find a reason to keep it. 90% of the stuff I record is either on demand or can be 'acquired'.

I have a Sky Sports season ticket at the moment though so won't be doing anything until that runs out.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How you gonna use a "Smart" TV without BB?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having bought a smart tv recently i've been considering just getting rid of everything apart from broadband. Like most people I never use my phone line and now that I can watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube via the TV faster than the TIVO box I'm struggling to find a reason to keep it. 90% of the stuff I record is either on demand or can be 'acquired'.

I have a Sky Sports season ticket at the moment though so won't be doing anything until that runs out.
    roddydogs wrote: »
    How you gonna use a "Smart" TV without BB?

:blush:
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I got rid of my TV package a couple of months back..

Even so I have had that email too, nothing to say what the price increase is for though.

I have talk weekends phone and 100mb broadband and they think I am paying £3.84 extra a month.

Part of the reason I got rid of the TV is because of the constant pay increases, Think this is the sixth in the last two years.

Time to see what others offer on broadband and phone only.

After at least 15 years I may be virginless :-(
  • countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As ever, call 150 then 5 then 3 and talk to retentions. Do not talk to standard CS reps as they won't be able to help you.

I have just done that, and spoke to a very helpful young lady. Explained politely that I have been with Telewest/Virgin for 20 years, and unhappy about not being automatically offered new bundles avaiable to new customers (at a lower price)....and the price increase to us, as pensioners, is the final straw.

She was able to offer me a Tivo box, 6 months Netflix, an upgraded router, and 150 meg alongside the comparable TVXL package and Talk Unlimited for £8 less than I am currently paying.

I am happy with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't work out what is actually rising and how.

The press release said prices would increase from 24th November 2014 for new customers and the VM website has indeed changed its offers etc. But, the prices don't appear to have changed.

Also, has anybody who is on the Big Kahuna Bundle (basic, no movies or sports etc) actually had an increase of the £4.50 as described? The closest person posting in this thread is Atlantic who got a £4.66 increase.

It looks very much like the lack of a price increase breakdown in customers letters shows the rise is not based on bundles or legacy tariffs - more like a pluck out of thin air!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's frustrating though because the constant price rises combined with the variable discounts they offer for bundles means that there's very little transparency with how much VM services actually cost. I came off mates rates in August because the Big Kahuna Bundle plus Sky Sports season ticket was cheaper than being on (also the broadband speed was only 100 mbps on mates rates).

Personally, I think that for tech-savy customers the TIVO box is starting to become obsolete. I don't need 1gb of recording space when everything is on-demand, their apps are slower than a basic smart tv and the PQ can't even compare with what I get through freeview.
  • dnoycednoyce Posts: 31
    Forum Member

Thank you for that. Will give it a try.
    D.
    Forum Member
    countyboy wrote: »
    I have just done that, and spoke to a very helpful young lady. Explained politely that I have been with Telewest/Virgin for 20 years, and unhappy about not being automatically offered new bundles avaiable to new customers..
    To be fair do you really think they have the time and employees to call every customer who is near the end of their contract to offer them another deal?
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair do you really think they have the time and employees to call every customer who is near the end of their contract to offer them another deal?

Well i seem to get mailshots every month or so, they need to tailor them a bit better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So notification for myself of an 8.4% rise on the Big Kahuna with an extra V HD box.

Retentions cant do anything to assist so the advice was to wait until my LRS expires in May 15 then try and see what is on offer.

Not a particularly good way to go about it but I really need to look at whether I need 152Mb broadband and whether Infinity 1 could do me just as good with 3 people in the house.